Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2005, 13:32   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
I don’t think that the engine is noisy.
No...The VVTi engines are a touch noisy. Its silent when you drive it with a restrained foot but it just screams when pushed little harder.

Quote:
Corolla is not fine-tuned for those stock tyres. Don’t get me wrong but there’s nothing to be tuned for a tube/tyre setup. It’s a plus minus compromised state to give a noiseless smooth ride. b]BUT[/b] your tyre change should not cause dashboard vibrations/rattling etc. What suspension problem you’re having?
Even I thought so intially..but believe me the condition of the car now makes me to think so. Vibrations in the dashboard and the steering wheel is too much to the extent that the glove box starts to rattle even when the car is idling. The technician says that the vibrations could be because of the changes in the dampner setup in the dashboard. As I said before, lot of other things also rattle apart from the glove box. The suspension makes lot squeaking noise when someone gets in/out of the car and sometimes it goes to the extent that even opening/closing of a door causes some noise from the suspension. So this clearly indicates that there is something fundamentally wrong. Even the dealer agrees that the condition of this car is lot worse than other similar Corollas.

In the past 8 months, I have visited the dealer atleast 7 times.

Quote:
As you can see, I also live in Bangalore and like to see your car. PM me whenever you’re free.
Sure....will let you know once I get my car back. At present it is with the dealer(since past 1 week). I complained to Toyota about these problems and they forwarded it to the dealer. So the dealer is working on it but I really don't expect much because the dealer could do very little when the basics of the car are not right.

- novice
Old 17th September 2005, 13:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Corolla became a laughing stock by putting tube tyres on alloys. That seems to be the height of cutting cost.
But I once heard(from someone at a Toyota dealership) that Toyota sticks to those tube tyres for Corolla because the suspension is tuned to such a setup. And I believe it is true beacuse all other Toyota vechicles(barring some low end Qualis) come with Tubeless tyres. So you see...cost cutting is not the only factor here.
Old 17th September 2005, 15:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice
Sure....will let you know once I get my car back. At present it is with the dealer(since past 1 week).
So this is the eighth time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novice
But I once heard(from someone at a Toyota dealership) that Toyota sticks to those tube tyres for Corolla because the suspension is tuned to such a setup.
Do you believe this? Because I don't.
Old 17th September 2005, 18:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think the best all- rounder in this segment is Optra 1.6 ( whichever version).

From the exterior it looks more luxurious to me compared to Octy and Corolla.
Its way cheaper than the other two.( approx 3-4 laks on road)
Its not a boy-racer type, but the power delivery is really smooth and refined compared to the other two.

Only flaws, I found were , slightly lously gearshift , but still not that bad, and its handling is not as good as the Octy ,but better than Corolla.
Old 17th September 2005, 19:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its handling is not as good as the Octy ,but better than Corolla.
Optra 1.6 comes with 14inchers. Wheras Octy comes with 15. Now the newer Optra 1.8s come with 15 which handles comaparable to the Octy! Corolla is the worst handler. Even the Elantra handles way better and so does even The New Honda City which received praise from even OD this month!
Old 17th September 2005, 19:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Optra 1.6 comes with 14inchers. Wheras Octy comes with 15. Now the newer Optra 1.8s come with 15 which handles comaparable to the Octy! Corolla is the worst handler. Even the Elantra handles way better and so does even The New Honda City which received praise from even OD this month!
I am not sure but I think only the Optra LT model comes with 15 inchers, the other models I think have 14 inchers.
Old 18th September 2005, 01:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
I am not sure but I think only the Optra LT model comes with 15 inchers, the other models I think have 14 inchers.
Its optional i guess on the Euro III Optra 1.8LT. Wheras others dont Optra even have alloys have Alloys except the 1.8LT and the new 1.6 Optra Royale LT.

I guess Corolla should live up to its name with the Newer version, hopefully they would have sorted out the problems, i guess toyota has got th warning from the Honda Civic!

Just pray HOnda removes Civic fast.

NTC (New Toyota Corolla) should have been here by now! What happened?
Old 20th September 2005, 21:19   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Since we own a corolla and since i have sat in the Optra 1.6 recently (while planning on replacing corola which could have materialised if my dad didn't believe that the Optra has low resale value as the diff. was only 50,000 if we took it on company reg.), i feel i can comment a bit about the car.
A. THE SUSPENSION SUCKS.
B. THE BUILD AND SUSPENSION STILL SUCK.
The car hasd just done 26K km, suffered 4 hits of which 3 were minor (bumper got dented but for some reason it lead to a suspension problem) and one major (full bumper and a the boot had to be replaced).
The suspension made some creaking noises of late which i attributed to the bangs but when i sat in my friends car which has never been banged to my knowledge, i was surprised to hear the same groans.
Not only that, the Optra is much smoother and comfortable but the love affair with the corolla still continues.
The engine..it's soo sweet... why doesn't the government make them manadatory?
Anyways, if you have to buy a car, go get the Optra 1.6 Royalle/Elite whatever it is called.
Old 20th September 2005, 22:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

the octavia is the best in this segment byfar followed by optra and then elantra nad corolla can fight for the third spot. just performance cant save a car according to me.

Most Viewed