Team-BHP - Corolla
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Corolla (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/6100-corolla.html)

Can someone post a long term ownership report for Corolla under BHP review. I am eager to see how is this performing after couple years in all aspects.
Thanks.

Hey VMG,
i have posted an 11000KM review but it has been shifted.
Also i will be posting a 21K review in a coupl of days once i am back in town.
Wait for it

Hey VMG,

Are you planing to buy a Corolla?

I had taken a test drive of the car a month back. it had logged 12k and the car was pathetic. Didnot feel like a Toyota.

My views are here..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...5&page=5&pp=15

Planning to buy a car in another 3-6 moths time. If Civic comes to India I would love to wait or Corrola or optra 1.6 ......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montoya
I had taken a test drive of the car a month back. it had logged 12k and the car was pathetic. Didnot feel like a Toyota.

My views are here..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...5&page=5&pp=15

Hmmmmm...he should see both sides of the coin, to be fair. VMG, Monty also bought a 91 kms Optra with certain issues which you can read about here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5994

Totyota is expected to launch the Corolla Altis mid life upgrade for the current version. Supposed to have a better tuned suspension and some exterior changes!

Just a suggestion don’t think about buying a corolla its not very nice & Optra has after sales problems for servicing n all......

If you can wait there are a lot of new cars coming to India like THE HONDA CIVIC, SKODA OCTAVIA, and FORD FOCUS SOME CAN TAKE TIME BUT ALL ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THE OPTRA OR COROLLA

IF YOU WANT TO BUY NOW YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THE SKODA OCTAVIA RIDER AVAILABLE IN BOTH PETROL & DEISEL

PETROL WILL GIVE YOU THE SAME SPEED WHICH RS GIVES
&
DEISEL GIVE YOU THE MILEAGE NO OTHER CAR CAN GIVE IN THAT RANGE

Note from Mod: Please refrain from posting everything in capital letters.

Skoda octavia Rally sport seems to be the best here.

Personally I find the lancer cedia to be good too.125bhp for a 1100kg car makes it a good performer and interiors are good too. Invecs will make it the best buy. BUt this if you can wait.

third choice should be chevy optra for its features and interiors and design. Optra has good of everything but is not the top performer. NY edition looks better too.

elantra crdi makes a good diesel choice and is highly recommended though resale may not be high. Go for elantra crdi diesel if it is not a concern with you.

Corolla while one of the best performers does not look good and reveiws say it is built to a price.Many people swear by it though. I wouldnt personally prefer a corolla.

I own a Corolla H2 which I bought last December end(8 months) and done 7000Kms. I don't have permission to post a review under Reviews section. So just putting a summary here.

Well after owning the car for 8 months, this is how I feel, DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED. Except the engine, there is nothing that is right in that car. Some of the major problems are poor build quality (every damn thing inside that car rattles), pathetic suspension, noisy cabin, nosy engine etc. But I must tell you that all these will go away from your head the moment you give life to that VVTi engine and step on its peddle, its awesome. In spite of such a spirited performance, the car still manages to give 10 kms in city with AC(worst traffic conditions) and upto 16 kms on highway with AC(even after doing 140+) for a litre of high-octane petrol.

Coming to those stock tube tyres, many people advice to go for wider tubeless tyres. So I opted for Michelin Pilot Preceda 205/60/R15 tyres(very expensive, paid 25K more even after giving away stock tyres). But I honestly don't know if tubeless tyres make any difference for a Corolla since my car runs on Michelins from day one. I think the road grip is good especially on wet roads but they seem to generate extraordinary wind noise above 80kmph. Also I suspect that the Corolla is very delicately fine tuned to those stock tyres, changing to a different profile tyres might affect the whole setup. My car seems to be having lot of Dashboard vibrations/rattling and Suspension problems than most other Corollas. So be careful if you decide to upgrade your tyres.

Finally, here is my advice to prospective Corolla buyers.

If you are a speed buff, you want to set your city's roads on fire but still want to get superb fuel economy and you don't give a damn about anything else. GO AHEAD AND BOOK YOUR COROLLA!!!

If you expect near perfection in everything, your car is Chauffeur driven, you care about your rear seat passengers etc., DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT A COROLLA.

After having said all these, I still don't regret my decision for buying it because I belong to the first category of people. Moreover I am still single and I don't even have a girlfriend. So I really don't have to worry about the comfort of my car's passengers. :)

PS: I live in Bangalore. If anyone here want to get a feel of a Corolla, please let me know. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by novice
Well after owning the car for 8 months, this is how I feel, DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED. Except the engine, there is nothing that is right in that car. Some of the major problems are poor build quality (every damn thing inside that car rattles), pathetic suspension, noisy cabin, nosy engine etc.

Well , to be honest i am not surprised at all . This is what corrola is all about .... But i dont understand WTH it is still the market leader in its segment ....

Quote:

But I must tell you that all these will go away from your head the moment you give life to that VVTi engine and step on its peddle, its awesome.

If you had said these things an year back , we could ve given a second thought but since Octavia RS is here damn with power of that VVTi .

Quote:

If you are a speed buff, you want to set your city's roads on fire but still want to get superb fuel economy and you don't give a damn about anything else. GO AHEAD AND BOOK YOUR COROLLA!!!

No more cos RS is here to stay ......

Quote:

Moreover I am still single and I don't even have a girlfriend. So I really don't have to worry about the comfort of my car's passengers. :)

To be honest ,thats where this car comes as handy cos the more she'd(i mean your GF , when you ve 1) try to stick to her seat , the more shes forced to jump outof the seat , bringing her closer to you everytime the car hits the pothole(coupled with the great handling of the corrola) and suddenly you find that you are enjoying the comfort of your corrola and everytime the car goes over a pothole, "Your heart goes Hmmmmmm"..... ;) (jk)

novice,

Corolla became a laughing stock by putting tube tyres on alloys. That seems to be the height of cutting cost.
I don’t think that the engine is noisy. It’s once again the result of severe cost cutting on noise insulation. Yes, suspension is poor compare to its competition.
Corolla is not fine-tuned for those stock tyres. Don’t get me wrong but there’s nothing to be tuned for a tube/tyre setup. It’s a plus minus compromised state to give a noiseless smooth ride. I felt the same on my car before changing to wider/low profile tyres. In my case, I’ve lost the smoothness and getting more rolling noise. That’s because of the tread pattern and construction. I’m not complaining about that because it’s natural.

BUT your tyre change should not cause dashboard vibrations/rattling etc. What suspension problem you’re having? There shouldn’t be any unless you up size your tyre at least twice the recommended size!

As you can see, I also live in Bangalore and like to see your car. PM me whenever you’re free.

Quote:

Just a suggestion don’t think about buying a corolla its not very nice & Optra has after sales problems for servicing n all......
Does it! I dont think so! Indeed the Optra is better to get serviced since Toyota has loads of Qualises which will make the dealership crowded, wheras the Chevvy Dealer is not so crowded. Plus Chevrolet Gurantees service in 3 hrs and gives you a movie ticket so that you can enjoy till that time!

Quote:

If you can wait there are a lot of new cars coming to India like THE HONDA CIVIC, SKODA OCTAVIA, and FORD FOCUS SOME CAN TAKE TIME BUT ALL ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THE OPTRA OR COROLLA
Skoda Octavia will be Rs. 14 lakh plus since the current Octy will NOT BE DISCONTINUED
When it comes to high speed stability nothing beats the Optra, not even an Octy according to ACI!

Quote:

IF YOU WANT TO BUY NOW YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THE SKODA OCTAVIA RIDER AVAILABLE IN BOTH PETROL & DEISEL
The main reason why people buy D segments cars are for comfort and luxury which the Octy totally lacks!

Quote:

PETROL WILL GIVE YOU THE SAME SPEED WHICH RS GIVES
Which petrol you talking about 1.8 Turbo Petrol or the 2.0 MPFi? but again lack of space and the desirabilty of the RS makes you forget the rider!

Quote:

205/60/R15 tyres
You should have opted for 17inch tyres which reduce the OD and will make the car be able to handle way better and also improve performance!

Also it wouldnot be wrong to say here that Corolla is the Only car in D segment which has a cheap aerial for the drivers side, which even the baleno VXi, Accent does not have. The best antennas are the Optra and the Elantra - Glass ones.

By the way Corolla owners hardly push their car, have you seen any Corolla challenging, unlike the Baleno and the OHC!

The New Optra 1.6 Royale gives 6% better FE then the Corolla at a cheaper price and has almost the same features plus Lumbar Support, MP3 player and Sun/Moon Roof!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Corolla became a laughing stock by putting tube tyres on alloys. That seems to be the height of cutting cost.

They're not alone - Tata have given me 16" Alloys with Tubes as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
I don’t think that the engine is noisy. It’s once again the result of severe cost cutting on noise insulation.

I havent driven the Indian Corolla for any long distance, but its the same as those sold abroad except for the nose and tail treatment. The Corolla's engine has a nice rorty note that makes you want to keep revving it - I wouldnt classify that as noise, it should be more like In-car Entertainment. I wonder what our Audio Gurus have to say about that, though.

Quote:

They're not alone - Tata have given me 16" Alloys with Tubes as well
:WTF: This is crazy! For a car they are charging Rs. 10lakhs and they give you such tyres, pathetic. Even Maruti Esteem has tubeless rubber for that matter! Also why dont they charge Rs. 1000 more from the buyer, i am sure he wont budge about that, because i am sure the cost difference between tubes and tubesless is not more then Rs. 200!

Quote:

I havent driven the Indian Corolla for any long distance, but its the same as those sold abroad except for the nose and tail treatment. The Corolla's engine has a nice rorty note that makes you want to keep revving it - I wouldnt classify that as noise, it should be more like In-car Entertainment. I wonder what our Audio Gurus have to say about that, though.
Its makes a noise similar to a diesel car, which is enjoyable for a moment but becomes irritating and also it tends to inform the passengers in the car that you are pulling her! So you have to shuft up otherwise you get the screams for bad FE :p Wheras in a silent car you pull the car to max limits and people are least informed!

Indian Corolla has got engine insulation just a few months back along with ABS and head lamp leveller and a price hike of Rs. 50K which is not at all justified for the additions!

Simply put - The Corolla does not feel like a million rupee car at all. There are only three good things about it : The Engine, Rear seat comfort and the traditional Toyota reliability.

Everything else, especially the ride and build quality is downright horrible.

GTO