Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 16:19   #16
BHPian

Its a typical case of presuming the consumer is a fool who would just about buy anything that you wish to say. What is quite incredible is the reckless audacity in the communication. It seems more like a case of having taken their earlier success for granted and hence the tone.
Old 1st July 2009, 16:22   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

In UK they are controlled; there is a body that does so. Seems to me that Honda (or, at least their Indian ad agency) are taking advantage of lack of control here.

Perfectly possible, of course, that the agency staff are entirely ignorant of road safety, but still, surely Honda would have had to consider the ad?
Old 1st July 2009, 16:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In UK they are controlled; there is a body that does so. Seems to me that Honda (or, at least their Indian ad agency) are taking advantage of lack of control here.

Perfectly possible, of course, that the agency staff are entirely ignorant of road safety, but still, surely Honda would have had to consider the ad?
India does have a ASCI | Advertising Standards Regulations

TO complain use ASCI | How to Complain
Old 1st July 2009, 16:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

TO complain use ASCI | How to Complain
Slightly off topic, there used to be a TV ad of Hyundai Verna (?) showing the car driven recklessly crossing yellow line multiple times. I always got irritated seeing it and wondered if there is a way to complain. So Thanks

Regarding Honda, I have no expectations from Honda India and have decided long back - will not buy another Honda in life.
Old 1st July 2009, 16:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

The trust Indian car buyers showed on Honda has turned them greedy and they have lost their sense of moral responsibiliy. This is height of irresponsibility. The whole Jazz campaign has turned ugly and the tag line 'why so serious?' just makes it worse. It's as if every times some one questions Honda, they answer back 'why so serious?' in a mocking tone.
Old 1st July 2009, 16:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

the choice of words is appalling to say the least. Probably that "Why So Serious" was overplayed here. Joker needs a dark knight now

just out of curiosity - aren't film tag lines also copyrighted?
Old 1st July 2009, 17:09   #22
Team-BHP Support

cross posting about something very interesting I found in the Jazz TV advt uploaded in youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Old 1st July 2009, 17:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post

just out of curiosity - aren't film tag lines also copyrighted?
You know I was wondering about the exact same thing. I came to the conclusion that they can't really do that since its plain English after all. Does the fact that Batman used it mean that no one can ever use that line in a movie, book or TV show?
Old 1st July 2009, 17:19   #24
BHPian

Folks, English is a very funny language. The statement by HONDA is fully conception / interpretation driven.

According to me, the advt highlightes that Jazz is a safe car and one should not think twice before zipping it around. Moreover we Indians need some cars like this in future as things (specially highways) are improving on a pace.

I dont foresee any prob with the advt !
Old 1st July 2009, 17:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think its the encouraging "zipping around" which is a slight problem.

But frankly, I see too much Honda-bashing these days on TBhp. This is one of those mistakes that happen when some idiot in an ad agency writes something out quickly and it gets published without thinking of how it will interpreted. Doesn't mean that Honda is now some evil corporation encouraging Indians to kill themselves.
Old 1st July 2009, 17:30   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was interested to see a full-page Honda ad for the Jazz in today's Hindu. My interest turned to incredulity, and then anger.

This is the main copy:

Honda is saying that this is a safe car, so you can drive dangerously.

This is shocking, and criminally irresponsible.

In a country with decent control of advertising standards, I doubt that it would be allowed. I suspect Honda of cynically and purposely playing on the frequent Indian lack of safety conciousness.

I'm truly disgusted by this, and a company whose products I have always liked, respected and desired has just lost my respect.
Good noticing!
Its surprising for me to see that a good brand like Honda is encouraging on "carefree" driving just because to promote the Jazz with Airbags!

VT
Old 1st July 2009, 17:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

It looks odd considering that Hyundai i20 is rated higher in all safety parameters than Jazz by Euro NCAPS. So do they expect that car to be driven even crazier? How about a "wheelie" in Brigade road at 7pm on a Saturday?
Old 1st July 2009, 18:20   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Folks, English is a very funny language. The statement by HONDA is fully conception / interpretation driven.

According to me, the advt highlightes that Jazz is a safe car and one should not think twice before zipping it around. Moreover we Indians need some cars like this in future as things (specially highways) are improving on a pace.

I dont foresee any prob with the advt !
My biggest problem: they are specifically encouraging people to think that they can drive faster if they have ABS. This may even encourage owners of other cars to drive irresponsibly.

Quote:
Why not let ABS set you free to step on it.
That is pretty specific. They are not saying that the car can make you feel like an astronaut, or that it will win you F1 races, or even that it will improve your love life, or any other marketing wow language. They are not making dubious or inflated claims about performance or economy. They are saying you can drive faster because it has ABS . Worse; they are advising and inviting to do so.

Wrong. Technically wrong, morally wrong, dangerously wrong, irresponsibly wrong.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, that's a guffaw! I don't believe a brand like Honda would encourage a "carefree" driving style or to "step on it", whether directly or indirectly. Probably isn't what they are trying to communicate, yet a PR disaster waiting to happen. Always gotta be ultra-cautious when communicating with the masses.

Heck, even Team-BHP does not permit content on a "carefree" driving style.
May have been discussed before, but didnt Maruti Swift too come up with a television along similar lines? That was even more disgusting, using the veil of a medical emergency to justify insane driving.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Honda has taken Jazz to new levels. There is desperate marketing going on for this vehicle. Have never seen Honda get so aggressive in ads. This was waiting to happen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks