Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:33   #16
BHPian

wonderful interview, sriram!
Sounds like a very professional interview for a car magazine.

Awesome, you have touched all aspects of Fiat-India.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
We: [/b]We are members of Team-BHP - Do you know this forum?
RK: Of course! I know. It is forum of enthusiasts. Also, I like the travel sections. Whenever I want to go from one city to another, I always looks up this section of team-bhp. Some one or another would have made that trip!
It's nice to hear that. Hope CEOs like him take feedback from our forums and improve their services.
Quote:
We: How about 1.6 MJD for Punto or Linea?
RK: You see, 1.6 MJD is not a 'Fiat Preferred' engine. So, I don't see it coming soon.
Does that mean we won't even get the 1.6 petrol? So many people are enthusiastic about the engine and are waiting for it!
Old 2nd July 2009, 22:01   #18
BHPian

Kudos to you Sriram for covering almost all important issues in what was an impromptu interview. Mr. Kapoor does come across as a guy who has his ear on the ground and that can only bode well for Fiat.

Way to go Mr. Kapoor & Fiat!
Old 2nd July 2009, 22:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good job Sriram, nice set of questions posed to Fiat India CEO!

Fiat finally got the nerve of Indian market & getting its strategy right!
All the Best Fiat!
Old 2nd July 2009, 22:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Great stuff! I hope this feedback thing is permanent. Many people (like me) are waiting for Fiat A.S.S. to improve before buying one. If they continue to improve then the only way they will go is up. It will be good for even folks who dont want to buy a Fiat. Competition (esp. Honda) will either reduce prices or give more features.

Hope Fiat delivers.
Old 2nd July 2009, 22:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

All the answers given are quite expectedly "open". The same generalisation in replies. Assuming that the usual car buying population could have a problem of "perception" even if they have had experience with cars since Dinosaur era. I fail to understand how VGT would have resulted in substantially lower fuel efficiency, but then he is the CEO he doesn't need to give too many "correct" explanations.

Unfortunately, when the buyers give explanation by not entering the showrooms, not many of such people get into analysis mode. Even if they do, the findings defy common logic.
Old 3rd July 2009, 07:03   #22
BHPian

Thanks guys! Glad that you all liked the interview transcript!

To me the summary is:
1. Fiat is all out to get the market - No efforts are spared (Reply to spares, and the CEO himself visiting showrooms, taking feedback about cars and dealerships)

2. No 1.6 MJD in near future

3. Punto with 1.3 MJD may be launched in 6+ months

4. No Bravo in foreseeable future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post

What I'm guessing is that once they have some consistent numbers every month, they might endup de-merging with TATA and get their own showrooms and service centers.

I forgot that we discussed about this too. We asked if we could see 'Fiat only' showrooms in future - And RK said that Fiat and Tata are in for the long term, and there is no possibility of 'Fiat only' showrooms
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:13   #23
BHPian

One question I would have loved to ask him is if it was true that the new Safari would be powered with a 1.9 Fiat Multijet
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

thanks for that interview sriram. nicely done and its great to see FIAT positive and agresive here for a change.

Quote:
We: Why didn't you put the VGT in Punto?
RK: Indian market is a different game. People place high importance on Fuel Efficiency. Except for a few enthusiasts, people are happy with good mileage and decent power. People say they need more power. But, if we give more power, they say mileage is low! We can't change the laws of Physics. For e.g., the 1.6 Fiat Palio sells very less - Only enthusiasts like you guys may buy it.
much as i hate it, i must say this strategy works. people will be happy as long as the car gives a great mileage and is decently powered. And maybe when they have a good market share they will come back with the higher capacity engines.
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

well, the interview seems nice but its like chinese whispers again.

i had a call the other day from the very same showroom - tafe- and was asking about the "new car" that was launched.

I asked the sales lady if the car had ABS - and she was like - sorry - no punto has ABS. then I told her I would come by on the weekend to check it out.

A few minutes later she called back saying that yes, the car does have ABS and that there was a "printing issue" - hence the incorrect information was given the last time over.

so much for training! :(
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:36   #26
BHPian

Thanks Sriram:

I think you squeezed the best questions in the 10 min interview. I also find that Rajeev gave frank answers than politically correct ones - though not what auto enthus will like to hear.

Last but not the least, I wish Skoda's top management understand how their competitor's CEOs spend their time with dealers and customers. They do not cozy up at fashion shows while their dealers are cheating their customers.

Cheers,
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:37   #27
BHPian

I really like the honesty with which RK has answered all the questions. I see a great dedicated team that is at work here. I wish, this kind of information from the horses mouth would go well with all the prospective buyers.

I completely agree with RK that most Indian car buyers barring a few, need a car that is high on fuel efficiency and low on maintenance. Power is the last thing on their mind.
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:53   #28
BHPian

Excellent interview transcript.
The questions were aptly put and dispells all rumours floating around.

You have an alternative career in-hand already!!!
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
A few minutes later she called back saying that yes, the car does have ABS and that there was a "printing issue" - hence the incorrect information was given the last time over. (
One "Sorry, I was wrong" would have made a different & good perspective to customers.

This will only "project" how well FIAT as a company / dealear works.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
well, the interview seems nice but its like chinese whispers again.

i had a call the other day from the very same showroom - tafe- and was asking about the "new car" that was launched.

I asked the sales lady if the car had ABS - and she was like - sorry - no punto has ABS. then I told her I would come by on the weekend to check it out.

A few minutes later she called back saying that yes, the car does have ABS and that there was a "printing issue" - hence the incorrect information was given the last time over.

so much for training! :(

Well this can / has happened with me and I was in maruti (estilo , sx4), hyundai (Getz crdi), Honda( ANHC) Skoda ( new Laura) showroom.

Basically the TBHP janta proves to be always more knowledgeable than the showroom persons in almost all aspects.

Why fiat can be different.

Basically we need good cars + reasonable , available spares + good service network from any maker. Fiat seems to be going towards that.

Let's wish them success.

Most Viewed