Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2005, 08:55   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
that's a tad too optimistic..... the closest and cheapest resemblance would be from the RS.... the driver's seat is way cramped in the city, and one size doesn't fit all- in fact, the steering fouls with my legs, unlike the skoda...

GTR34 as not known for its luxury/comfort or seating position...
It was known for crazy performance which was surprising for a car which looked like a saloon and not designed like a low slung full fledged sports car.It was a favourite with the tuners and all the guys who didnt care about if "their legs were cramped" or "the seating was not luxirious". It could take on the sports cars which were more expensive etc and had a crazy AWD,twin turbos etc etc, it was performance enthusiast car at a certain price...
At the time when the first City was launched how many cars came close to the city in performance, handling and power to weight ratio? 16valve MPFI ? how many were making 100 BHP when the city came to India ? ..at that time there was only the cielo,astra,lancer,esteem...
If "legs being cramped" is a criteria for comparing a city..I would recommend the "Maruti Omni" ,it beats the city any day ..bcoz u can put a sofa in the back and go to sleep !! I would therefore call city the Indian GTR34...also consider the price etc.
It wouldnt be fair to compare the gtr34 to the Mclaren F1 GT or the Ferrari enzo right ? ..similarly u cant compare a City with the RS...
if price is not an issue..i'll compare a RS with a Bentley Arnage it's got lot of leg room and lots of performance
Old 28th June 2005, 13:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GTR34 as not known for its luxury/comfort or seating position...
agreed..

Quote:
It was known for crazy performance which was surprising for a car which looked like a saloon and not designed like a low slung full fledged sports car.It was a favourite with the tuners and all the guys who didnt care about if "their legs were cramped" or "the seating was not luxirious". It could take on the sports cars which were more expensive etc and had a crazy AWD,twin turbos etc etc, it was performance enthusiast car at a certain price.
also agreed- the skyline gtr r34 v-spec had crazy performnace even in it's stock form, and that 2.6 litre in-line six was to die for; but nissan had electronically limited the top speed to 180 kmph, which went to 320 on limited ed. cars... but what i was saying was- power is nothing without control- the nissan has loads of space (for a performance car) in the driver's seat- and so does the lancer evo. what i meant to say was, even though the city goes like crazy on straights, you cannot control it as comfortably as you could a lancer or a skyline....hence my comment-steering fouling with the legs- i wouldn't feel as comfortable controlling a city at 160 kmph, as i would a lancer- and i have tested it myself...

Quote:
If "legs being cramped" is a criteria for comparing a city..I would recommend the "Maruti Omni" ,it beats the city any day ..bcoz u can put a sofa in the back and go to sleep !!
who said anything about the rear seat...?? i was saying from the driver's point of view- i just said that the driver's seat in the city is way cramped- and you wouldn't feel as comfortable controlling the car at high speeds as you would a lancer, or even a esteem.

Quote:
also consider the price etc.

similarly u cant compare a City with the RS...
the city vtec wasn't exactly cheap at 10 lacs plus, on road- and so wasn't the skyline GTR R34 v-spec, which went at 80,000 u.s $ plus.... but when you take the 10 lac 106 bhp vtec, the 12 lac 150 bhp octavia turbo rider doesn't seem that far now, does it..??

Quote:
if price is not an issue..i'll compare a RS with a Bentley Arnage it's got lot of leg room and lots of performance
again, not a fair comparo- one is a performance "family" car, whereas the other is a luxo barge....the continental GT might be more appropriate...he..he..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks