Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2005, 10:57   #1
BHPian

Nissan plans for india

could not find the link on the web. is in the business section of today's TOI.

highlights:
1. evaluating the option to set up a manufacturing facility in india.
2. on thursday, formally inaugarated its wholly owned subsidiary, Nissan Motor India Pvt. Ltd.
3. JV with local partner not ruled out.
4. Initial plans to enter growing small car market.
Old 17th June 2005, 11:05   #2
BHPian

yes, it was in the Hindu too.
But they did not make any mention of setting up a plant in India.
Tat means everything is going to be a ckd/CBU meaning they will cost twice agter taxes
Old 17th June 2005, 11:15   #3
BHPian

yes...that too is mentioned in the article. that...

"We are currently considering whether we would like to set up a manufacturing facility here or expand business through the CBU route."

no decision made as yet. upto 6 months to make a call.
Old 17th June 2005, 19:59   #4
BHPian

I saw that news too.. Its a good thing for Nissan to enter the Indian market.. They do have some real cool models that would appeal to the Indian public.. The Nissan Murano and the 350Z are the first that come to my mind.
Old 17th June 2005, 21:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
I saw that news too.. Its a good thing for Nissan to enter the Indian market.. They do have some real cool models that would appeal to the Indian public.. The Nissan Murano and the 350Z are the first that come to my mind.
Nissan has already entered the Indian market with the X-Trail. I am sure the Nissan showrooms located in the metros can arrange for a CBU 350Z or Murano. Making the 350Z locally wouldnt be a wise decision even though its a killer car, its just not suited for our roads. The murano on the other hand is perfect, its the sleeker lot of SUVs in the market and would easily deal with the indian road conditions.
Old 17th June 2005, 22:28   #6
BHPian

i think given that they are looking at the "small car" market, they are liable to bring their new MARCH (think that is the one). it kind of fits into the B+ segment *i think*.

I would be much happier to see their new CEFIROS on our roads. classy styling and that marvelous 3 litre engine. IIRC, they also have an option of a 2 litre with the CEFIRO. if i had the choice would definitely go for the CEFIRO over the accord or the camry. Talking of which, i saw one recently outside Oberoi. pure class.
Old 17th June 2005, 22:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can always import a 350Z and get service from the nissan guys here.
Old 17th June 2005, 22:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
i think given that they are looking at the "small car" market, they are liable to bring their new MARCH (think that is the one). it kind of fits into the B+ segment *i think*.

I would be much happier to see their new CEFIROS on our roads. classy styling and that marvelous 3 litre engine. IIRC, they also have an option of a 2 litre with the CEFIRO. if i had the choice would definitely go for the CEFIRO over the accord or the camry. Talking of which, i saw one recently outside Oberoi. pure class.
The Nissan pitted against the likes of the Accord or the Camry is the Altima. Used to be the fantastic, magnificient Maxima but they've replaced that fabulous car with the Altima for some reason. No complaints with the Altima since it comes with a 2.5 litre or 3.5 litre engine, but the Chinese (Chery Automobile) have just introduced a copy of the Altima into the market. Ditto copy at about 1/2 the price with a 2 litre engine...
Old 17th June 2005, 22:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The Nissan pitted against the likes of the Accord or the Camry is the Altima.
I thought the Altima was slightly lower end as compared to the Cefiro. More in the class of the corolla , for e.g. For quite a while now, the Nissan has been positioning its Cefiro as its high-end model, i thought.
Old 17th June 2005, 23:22   #10
BHPian

Altima is a fantastic car, a friend of mine recently bought one in minneapolis. And yes its actually pitted against the accord and camry, cost just the same too. We went on a 60 mile trip and it was really impressive, really comfortable, perfect lumbar support and all thta stuff, with an 8speaker bose audio systemand a really refined 2.5 litre engine. Anyway, my guess is if they''re gonna bring anything smaller than the altima its definitely going to be the Nissan Sentra which is BORINGGG...
Old 17th June 2005, 23:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Steeroid]The Nissan pitted against the likes of the Accord or the Camry is the Altima. Used to be the fantastic, magnificient Maxima but they've replaced that fabulous car with the Altima for some reason.[ \QUOTE]

the maxima is still production...the new altima shares the same 3.5L maxima engine...they still supercharge the maximas ti 260 bhp ..

maximas are pitted as performance /sport sedans agains the likes of Grand Prixs , G6 , Accord /Camry V6s...

where are you located ? cause my friend bought the new maxima with that long sun roof in 2004 october ...

my ex has a Silver X-trail in delhi btw ...looks hot !!!

Last edited by turbo_lover : 17th June 2005 at 23:32.
Old 18th June 2005, 00:49   #12
BHPian

Steeroid...me a bit confused here...

does that mean they have two cars in the same price bracket ? whats the pricing like for these two anyways ?
Old 18th June 2005, 00:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze
Anyway, my guess is if they''re gonna bring anything smaller than the altima its definitely going to be the Nissan Sentra which is BORINGGG...
i actually like the Sentra . Its a well-built car which fulfils its function, and quite well.
Old 18th June 2005, 01:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nissan already has 2 JVs with Mahindra. One with MahindraAllwyn Nissan in AP for LCVs and another through Renault for the Logan. I think they will let Renault tackle the VFM market and let the Nissan be the premium brand competing C segment and up. I'd say start with the Sunny/Sentra for CKD. I've seen these Sunnys in Asia Pacific and Gulf countries and they seem to be pretty popular.
Old 18th June 2005, 13:59   #15
BHPian

ahh yes..finally..Nissan is gonna enter the market full steem. Prolly the March is gonna be released..then maybe the Altima to compete with the Camry and Accord.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks