Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 14:58   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So the gripe that Swift is cramped is no longer true !
The i20 is wider and longer than Fabia. Has almost the same amount of boot. Its hard to imagine that the rear legroom is lower. Although autoexpress says two 6 footers can sit one behind the other but legroom is a constraint !
I think that glitch is still that we are not taking into consideration of the front leg space. We need to add up the front minimum and rear maximum leg spaces to give an idea of whether it would be cramped or not. The rest will depend of seating angle, driving position, etc.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I think that glitch is still that we are not taking into consideration of the front leg space. We need to add up the front minimum and rear maximum leg spaces to give an idea of whether it would be cramped or not. The rest will depend of seating angle, driving position, etc.
Hi Opendro - Hope this is useful
Attached Thumbnails
Statistics! Wheelbase, Rear seat legroom and boot space of all Indian cars <25 lakhs-legroom-comparo.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2009, 16:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
The front seats were never a problem with the Swift.

The height of the seat also makes a lot of difference. In a low slung car, you have to push the front seat backwards more than in a high seated car. Then you have ergonomics and gets complicated to tell which is the best.

But these figures should be good to judge. Still, I20's numbers are surprising.

Also, with the front max of Vista, I am still to hear that front is cramped.

Last edited by srishiva : 7th July 2009 at 16:24.
Old 11th July 2009, 00:04   #34
BHPian

Excellent comparison.

Anybody who is searching for a specious car, or worrying for less space in the car, this list will be a blessing for them.

Just refer the list & than decide.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:20   #35
BHPian

Re: Statistics! Wheelbase, Rear seat legroom and boot space of all Indian cars <25 la

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Hi Opendro - Hope this is useful
I just came across this thread, it is very useful.

Hi jessie007, this contains the front as well as rear legroom for the cars shown in the image. Can you post the same details for all cars, if you have? The earlier posts have details for all cars but not the front legroom, only rear. thanks!
Old 8th July 2011, 10:15   #36
BHPian

Re: Statistics! Wheelbase, Rear seat legroom and boot space of all Indian cars <25 la

As PMed Mohan - I'm currently concentrating on the hatchback segment and following are the updated stats

1) Gold & Silver rating given only for criteria for which tfigures are there for all models
2) The sum of Fr. Max. & Rr. Min. should actually be equal to Rr. Max. & Fr. Min. but this is not the case - so there is a variance
Attached Thumbnails
Statistics! Wheelbase, Rear seat legroom and boot space of all Indian cars <25 lakhs-int.-space.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 12:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Great effort guyz.
I don't see the numbers for Honda Jazz.So, here they are
Front Leg Room (Max) - 1040mm
Rear leg room (max) 875 mm
Rear Knee Room (Max/Min) 910mm/675mm,
Shoulder Room 1430mm
Internal width 1350 mm

The numbers seem very confusing to me. We need one source and one standard of measurement to compare the cars.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:00   #38
BHPian

Wow!... Tata Vista compares with the Civic and the accord in terms of rear legroom.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:23   #39
BHPian

With due respect, how accurate is this data?

Coz if we go by these numbers, the rear legroom of the Logan (now Verito) is lower than that of a Hyundai i10 and even a Santro. Difficult to believe based on personal experience.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:00   #40
BHPian

Here is the updated select hatchbacks sheet including the new entrants - Brio and Liva

Statistics! Wheelbase, Rear seat legroom and boot space of all Indian cars <25 lakhs-legroomboot.jpg

Source: Autocar India magazine
jessie007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 08:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Awesome work Jessie! Can you update the sedans chart too as vehicles released after July 2009 is missing (Eg: Cruze, Vento, Etios, etc). Maybe the mods can attach the new updated chart to the first post itself for easier access.
Old 26th December 2012, 14:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

JEssie:

Great work.

While I understand that the info is collected from the net, I have 2 questions. Would be grateful if you could answer them:

- Is the measurement from the backrest to the back of the front seat/ dash or from the lip of the seat to the front seat/ dash? I suspect the former but would appreciate confirmation.

- Is it possible to find out which car has the deepest seats (so that there is adequate thigh support)? Comfort depends on both the depth of the seat & the space available.
Old 26th December 2012, 21:04   #43
gemi_kk

Nice work Jesse.

The amount of legroom is not the actual factor which decides on the comfort for the rear benchers.

The most important factor is the seat height and the floor height. If the seat is placed too low, then the rear benchers will not be really happy. The space will not be sufficient. If the rear bench is placed at a better height, the comfort would be more even if the space is less.

I hope this point was missed in the whole thread. The amount of Leg room is only a part of rear seat comfort. The chair height is the significant factor.

I20 may have less space but it is more comfortable than PUNTO is. For sure. Then why I20 is lagging behind. Its the height at which the rear bench is placed. This is the culprit. however the rear seat comfort of I20 is way ahead than what punto has to offer.

Old 27th December 2012, 10:52   #44
rkg
Senior - BHPian

The seat width ( front and back) is also an important criterion along with led space.

Because leg space depends upon seat width.

For ex: In Toyota Etios the rear seat width ( not car width) is almost 2" ( 5cm) less than Indica Vista, there by enhancing the rear leg room.

Some manufacturers intelligently reducing the seat width to show bigger leg room
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 10:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

A good way to compare rear legroom would be to keep the front legroom fixed at 650mm or 700mm and calculate the rear legroom. That might give an indication on the legroom you can expect in the rear in practical conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
The seat width ( front and back) is also an important criterion along with led space.

Because leg space depends upon seat width.

For ex: In Toyota Etios the rear seat width ( not car width) is almost 2" ( 5cm) less than Indica Vista, there by enhancing the rear leg room.

Some manufacturers intelligently reducing the seat width to show bigger leg room
Very true, even I've felt that there is a significant difference between various B and B+ hatchbacks - on some, I get support for the entire thigh but on others the seat ends much before.

It could also be the angle of the rear seat and backrest that helps some cars to have larger seat width within the lesser horizontal space but that is something I would give credit to the manufacturer as long as ergonomics is fine.

Any chance we might be able to get seat width info for the high volume segments? I have a feeling there could be some explanation on the surprising numbers we see here.

Width of the seat should be relatively easy to measure and may be owners can pitch in by measuring their cars. I'm sure we have all the A/B/B+/C specimens with us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks