Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2009, 16:26   #1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We intend to release a minimum / maximum legroom statistic for each car soon. However, even with the front seat set for an average Indian male height of 5'9", the rear space was not in the league of the Indica, Indica Vista or Getz. I have a feeling even the old Palio is more spacious.
Thanks GTO for starting the thread. I myself was planning to do the same soon after I was satisfied that the report was complete. But I guess it will never be 100% complete - so here is the comprehensive space report for all cars below the around 20 lakhs mark.

Attached is the complete sheet I have prepared which includes vehicles categorised into:

1) A & B segment

2) B+ Segment

3) C segment

4) C+ segment

5) D segment

6) D+ segment

7) SUVs & MUVs

8) SUVs & MUVs (premium)

Note:
1) Please note that if there is very little difference between the best and worst figures or specs for all vehicles are not available within a segment - I haven't highlighted that as a little difference is not a deal breaker and without all the specs we won’t get the correct picture. This is the case with D segment and premium SUV & MUV segment.

2) I’ve created the segments as per my own perception and as of that in the industry. Some cars overlap segments but I have included in a particular segment as per my own discretion.

3) If anyone notes any obvious or not so obvious errors/omissions then please let me know.

Thanks to Trrk for the following image:
Statistics! Wheelbase, Rear seat legroom and boot space of all Indian cars <25 lakhs-spacecomb.jpg

Thanks to Cyclops for the following image:
Statistics! Wheelbase, Rear seat legroom and boot space of all Indian cars <25 lakhs-rear-leg-space-chart.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: xls Space.xls (45.5 KB, 3660 views)

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2009 at 18:22.
jessie007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2009, 16:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
... Please find attached a sample of A and B/B+ segments, wherein one can compare the space inside the GP relative to other hatchbacks.
Nice effort there jessie. GP falls in the middle of the rear legroom availability. Not the best and not the worst.

But I never though that the i20 was so cramped. Looks like it has the LEAST rear legroom available out there.

Also, have attached your excel as a picture.

Attachment 154404
Attached Thumbnails
Statistics! Wheelbase, Rear seat legroom and boot space of all Indian cars <25 lakhs-space.jpg  

Old 4th July 2009, 17:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think there's something wrong in the i20 figure. The i20 definitely has more legroom than my Alto and the A-star. No ways it is that less.
Old 4th July 2009, 17:01   #4
BHPian

@khan_sultan
Thanks for putting up the specs as an image - more people tend to read it this way. For a clearer picture of space in the GP, check my post on page 31 (post #457). In addition to the front legroom, i've compared the total and average legroom as well w.r.t. to the immediate competition.

Just realised my last post was my 100th post
Old 4th July 2009, 18:58   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Jessie, that's a heck of a statistical report. Thanks for sharing.

See : That's exactly what I meant in my TD report. The Punto simply doesn't have the space you'd expect from a large hatch. But then, the Italians weren't ever known for their packaging skills. From the sheet provided, the Punto is bang on with the Ritz in terms of available legroom at the rear.
Old 4th July 2009, 20:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think there's something wrong in the i20 figure. The i20 definitely has more legroom than my Alto and the A-star. No ways it is that less.

I agree that the i20 has a lil less room compared to the getz, but no way is it so cramped, heck, its made out to be smaller than even the A segment cars!!

What is your source for this info? Thanks for sharing anyways!
Old 4th July 2009, 21:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hey - I've compiled a list of all cars (priced below 25 lakhs or nearabout) with their wheelbase, rear seat legroom (min/max) and boot space to give a general idea about the amount of space inside each car. .
Really a wonderful hard work being done to give us exact numbers to compare rather than somebodies perception. Thanks a lot for sharing. keep up the good work
cheers
Old 4th July 2009, 22:48   #8
ada
BHPian

This is just out of curiosity I'am asking, this is a great way to settle the age old issue once and for all with numbers. How is leg room measured? Is it at the lowermost level? Is the front seat back kept un-reclined?
Old 5th July 2009, 02:06   #9
BHPian

Great info jessie007! Thanx! Proud to be the owner of one of the most spacious car in the segment - i10 & NHC. Rear seat comforts are always among the top priority for me while selecting a car.
Looking for clarification on i20 part though!
Old 5th July 2009, 02:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wow, never thought i10 was so spacious! It's more spacious than i20!!

Thanks for sharing the info, jessie.
Old 5th July 2009, 03:48   #11
BHPian

Exceptional work but we must also compare the b+ segment with the saloon segment also buyers of b+ segment buy it because of the thought that we get the same seating space as c segment cars but only small boot.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th July 2009 at 16:45. Reason: Please avoid posting complete text in bold, thanks
Old 5th July 2009, 05:09   #12
BHPian

Jessie,
This is a really well compiled information. I tried getting this data for the Ford Fusion too, but could not manage to get the info. Would it be possible for you to add it in there?
Old 5th July 2009, 11:31   #13
BANNED

The i20 figures you have mentioned in the sheet is just shocking!
Old 5th July 2009, 11:37   #14
BHPian

I am sure you meant Cms instead of inches. It would translate to all cars being stretch limousines

Good under thigh support coupled with wide seat and decent leg room is what we should be looking for to have the comfort feeling.
Old 5th July 2009, 13:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey - I've compiled a list of all cars (priced below 25 lakhs or nearabout) with their wheelbase, rear seat legroom (min/max) and boot space to give a general idea about the amount of space inside each car. Collated data from the web and mags.
jessie, thats a heck of data collected and put together by you, superb job done mate, really gets a fair idea of the space available across cars in our market, yes for people who feels i20 isnt that cramped, it is actually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks