Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 12:14   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
While presenting the Budget, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today proposed to reduce the additional excise duty on big cars with engine capacities of 2,000 cc and above by Rs 5,000 per unit. The Minister also cut the duty of petrol-driven trucks to eight per cent from 20 per cent at present.

Petrol driven trucks ? Whats the definition of these trucks? Which manufacturer makes them ?

Even in case they are made for the export market, there would be very few takers.
IMO the makers of CNG retrofit goods carriers, if they have petrol engines, will take advantage of the rule.

PS- I may be wrong at the above statement, ignore my ignorance.
Old 7th July 2009, 13:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Petrol driven trucks ? Whats the definition of these trucks? Which manufacturer makes them ?

Even in case they are made for the export market, there would be very few takers.
IMO the makers of CNG retrofit goods carriers, if they have petrol engines, will take advantage of the rule.
Manufacturers now make Petrol engines for trucks and buses for CNG powered vehicles. Tata/Ashok Leyland both are manufacturing these engines as you will be aware that CNG runs on spark ignition engines.

This is a welcome relief for CNG powered vehicles.

Cheers
Old 7th July 2009, 13:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
think Tbhp is starting to look like a Honda bashing thread. Anything can everything is a big story. 5K for an Accord/CRV buyer is pretty insignificant - as someone said - he might get a much better dealer discount. But i guess its fashionable to go call Honda greedy.
It is less about money and all about the attitude and fair business practice.
Like Amit said, even BMW along with many other manufacturers have announced price reductions so why Honda has not done it.

I am sure if FM had increased duty by 5000, Honda would have jacked up the price by 10,000 citing rising costs.

If some people still believe that Honda is not doing any thing wrong and call this Honda bashing, well they are welcome to their views.
Old 7th July 2009, 13:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Manufacturers now make Petrol engines for trucks and buses for CNG powered vehicles. Tata/Ashok Leyland both are manufacturing these engines as you will be aware that CNG runs on spark ignition engines.

This is a welcome relief for CNG powered vehicles.

Cheers
Well I doubt this statement. Thousands of DTC buses were converted to CNG and I dont think any of their diesel engines were changed to petrol.

There may be some petrol engine trucks still being made for military or some other special uses.
Old 7th July 2009, 13:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
It is less about money and all about the attitude and fair business practice.
Like Amit said, even BMW along with many other manufacturers have announced price reductions so why Honda has not done it.

I am sure if FM had increased duty by 5000, Honda would have jacked up the price by 10,000 citing rising costs.

If some people still believe that Honda is not doing any thing wrong and call this Honda bashing, well they are welcome to their views.
I think the reduction in duties is sort of a stimulus to the sales. Honda thinks it does not need it.
Dont know how its not being honest and everything. They are honest like people are honest about not buying a Honda.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post

PS- I may be wrong at the above statement, ignore my ignorance.
Well as far As I am aware there is only one vehicle that fits this category and will benefit. It is the Maruti Omni Cargo ( A petrol engined goods carrier )

The FM has played a joke by giving an extemptio that nobody qualifies for. The 5000 Rs relief on vehicles with over 2000 cc capacity is nothing more than sheer tokenism.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:17   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Well as far As I am aware there is only one vehicle that fits this category and will benefit. It is the Maruti Omni Cargo ( A petrol engined goods carrier )

The omni is 800 (or is it 796?) CC.

<potshot-cum-exaggeration>

The engine would be a tad bit bigger than the vehicle if we are really speaking of a 2 L Omini. </ >
Old 7th July 2009, 14:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Honda products are superb but they always seem to be overpriced ! Guess their products do command a premium and they make good use of that fact in India ! So don't expect them to reduce prices in a hurry !
Old 7th July 2009, 14:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Demanding 5k off from Honda is like "Bhagta hua chor ki langot".

Translated: When Honda is already charging huge premiums on its products, demanding a benefit of 5K is like being satisfied with grabbing the fleeing theif's underwear.
That was hilarious. Except that here we have a super premium car maker whose cars are way way ahead of the lesser brands. My advice buy them while they are still CHEAP ... You know premium things are always in great demand and short supply.

Last edited by entropy : 7th July 2009 at 14:45.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:55   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

This is just biased.

Honda is only one of the two Japanese companies in India. They still have a lot of imports. Their localisation is pretty low. The yen-rupee ratio is screwing them like anything.

I know on TBHP it seems fashionable to bash Honda for their high prices, but please know the facts. Honda is not losing any money in India as yet, but htey are not swimming in it either.

PS: I myself would not buy a Honda in the current market mainly because of the VFM factor. It is too expensive. But I wouldnt like to call the company greedy or anything. It's blatantly unfair.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

When all the other makers are cutting down the prices why cant honda. I agree they have imports. But now afterbudget has cut vexcised duties why cant they pass down the benifit to poor customers. I believe honda screwed up the jazz pricing. Now it is the second time in a row thay are screwing up.

May honda Rest In Peace
Old 7th July 2009, 15:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
This is just biased.

Honda is only one of the two Japanese companies in India. They still have a lot of imports. Their localisation is pretty low. The yen-rupee ratio is screwing them like anything.

I know on TBHP it seems fashionable to bash Honda for their high prices, but please know the facts. Honda is not losing any money in India as yet, but htey are not swimming in it either.
I will support of view of extreme Honda bashing but who's fault it is that their localisation in low? Isn't Toyota affected by yen-rupee ratio? Isn't Toyota affected by the same. Or is their localisation higher inspite of entering India later than Honda (AFAIK)?

Just remembered, there's not much for Toyota to lose. Camry comes as a CBU, they wont lose anything by reducing prices by 5K.

Last edited by asr245 : 7th July 2009 at 15:05.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

It is all a pure economics equation called Price elasticity of demand. There is a huge demand for Honda products hence it is priced high and can command higher premium over competition. We can neither call Honda greedy nor unethical. They are playing as per market demand. Whatever the price increase, people will not stop buying Honda cars at least they have not done so in the past. If the price is unreasonably high then we would have seen Honda Shutting shop in India because poor sales(Which isn't happening in the foreseen future). So this is a NON-ISSUE.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
There is a huge demand for Honda products hence it is priced high and can command higher premium over competition.
I don't agree to that!

Is there is great demand for Jazz to demand a premium price for it?

Honda is just taking its brand image for granted!
I doubt this fool game will run for long!
Old 7th July 2009, 15:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I don't agree to that!

Is there is great demand for Jazz to demand a premium price for it?

Honda is just taking its brand image for granted!
I doubt this fool game will run for long!
It doesn't matter if you agree or not. The proof of the pudding is clearly visible. Honda has existed for over 10 years now and will exist in the future. It has done much better than companies which has priced their cars cheap (Fiat or Tata for example).

As far as Jazz is concerned only time will tell whether Honda made a wise decision or not. If it is overpriced IT WILL NOT SELL Period.

PS - pricing of i20 with a 1.4 engine is nearly equal to JAZZ pricing. What do you say to that?

Most Viewed