Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 18:41   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Gosh I wish I could plonk 8 lacs for a Jazz!
If you could it will certainly not cost 8 lakhs
Old 7th July 2009, 18:59   #47
BANNED

It Is The Truth...

You may call me biased (see my OTHER posts about Fiat vs Honda) but seeing that the thread starter itself stated it out in loud letters for you: HONDA is STINGY- just because the yen is more powerful now, they uproot the customers with their non-VFM cars and atrocious prices and now are REFUSING to pass on benefits to the customers? No wonder car buyers are so blinded by their sense of brand image and dont stop to see what cheats they are! ITs proof enough from the above news.
Old 7th July 2009, 19:10   #48
BHPian

As pointed out by many others, the duty reduction is meant for end customers to revive demand and not to be pocketed by greedy manufacturers.

Customer resistance is already building up against Honda. It has already outpriced itself on CRV (0 sales) and on Accord V6 (perhaps Vasudeva can get the June sales figures of V6, maybe single digit). If only Skoda can sort out its service issues, Superb petrol will outsell Accord by a big margin.

With the introduction of i20 Diesel and 1.4 Automatic, Punto and Jazz, this segment of premium hatchbacks has hotted up. Real winner will be decided by public in next 6 months. And again if Skoda improves itself and plonks a better engine in Fabia, well it may become the joker in the pack.
Old 7th July 2009, 23:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well I've already said it a million times on the Honda Jazz sales thread but I just hate seeing these sort of threads so I'll post what I've said again.

Honda is a corporation/company/firm. The aim of all such operations, without exception, is to make PROFITS! Honda are doing exactly that. You really think other manufacturers, even BMW, are running charities that make motoring affordable for us Indians? Yeah right!! The bottom line is simple. They need more sales. A discount boosts volumes and gives an overall profit to that same manufacturer. So don't for a moment think that BMW and the rest are on our side while Honda is the greedy bad guy in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Customer resistance is already building up against Honda. It has already outpriced itself on CRV (0 sales) and on Accord V6 (perhaps Vasudeva can get the June sales figures of V6, maybe single digit). If only Skoda can sort out its service issues, Superb petrol will outsell Accord by a big margin.

With the introduction of i20 Diesel and 1.4 Automatic, Punto and Jazz, this segment of premium hatchbacks has hotted up. Real winner will be decided by public in next 6 months. And again if Skoda improves itself and plonks a better engine in Fabia, well it may become the joker in the pack.
Now, let's say for a moment that you're right and Honda is on the verge of a catastrophic loss of sales. That would make Honda drop prices automatically. So why haven't they done it yet? Because they are still doing remarkably well. The Civic and Jazz are great sellers. The Accord isn't doing too badly (the V6 is slow but not the regular Accord). So as much as many would love to see "greedy ol' Honda" in deep trouble, reality is that they are doing just fine.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 7th July 2009 at 23:20.
Old 7th July 2009, 23:22   #50
BHPian

Think Honda top team went through TBHP and then decided to cut prices.

Ford, Honda cut car prices by up to Rs 6,000- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 7th July 2009, 23:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well I'll be!! Moments after I claim they're doing just fine, Honda makes me look really silly

But I still stand by the first part of my post regarding the overall perception of Honda irrespective of the price cut here.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 7th July 2009 at 23:35.
Old 7th July 2009, 23:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
But now after budget has cut excise duties why cant they pass down the benifit to poor customers.
poor customers buying 7 lakh plus cars
Old 8th July 2009, 08:07   #53
BHPian

As reported by JoeCherian earlier, Honda finally sees sense:

NEW DELHI: Cars over 2000cc saw a minor drop in prices following Rs 5000 concession the government gave on excise duty in the Budget. Companies

like Honda, Ford, General Motors and Hindustan Motors-Mitsubishi passed on the benefit to the consumers, though the amount passed appears negligible considering their high sticker price.

Honda said its luxury sedan Accord and SUV CR-V would now be cheaper by Rs 5000 with immediate effect. The starting ex-showroom Delhi price of the Accord will now be Rs 17.67 lakh while the CR-V entry model will now cost Rs 22.87 lakh. Ford also reduced prices, slashing the price of its Endeavour SUV by Rs 6000 across variants, whose base model will now cost Rs 15.01 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

"The additional duty reduction has been a welcome step taken by the government, though the reduction is limited only to large cars," Ford India V-P (sales) Tim Tucker said.

HM-Mitsubishi combine also cut the price of Pajero, Outlander and Montero models by Rs 6000. The Pajero will now cost Rs 20.64 lakh, Outlander Rs 20.69 lakh and Montero Rs 41.88 lakh. "With the government announcing a reduction in the excise duty, on some of our vehicles in the relevant segment, we are passing on the entire benefit to our customers," R Santhanam, MD of Hindustan Motors.

General Motors also slashed the price of its Tavera multi-utility by Rs 5000.
Old 8th July 2009, 08:26   #54
BHPian

I completely agree with McLaren Rulez - that any company's aim is to make profits at a healthy margins. That's the bottom line against which the top management is measured. Now, how you do it is specific to each company. Some might go after volumes and some might target a specific segment and look for top and bottom line numbers. This is pure business.

Am sure that we can now close this thread as Honda has also followed the suite on passing on the excise duty benefit to their customers (probably we can count them on our fingers) and probably they aren't any greedy now.
Old 8th July 2009, 08:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
poor customers buying 7 lakh plus cars
Since the 6 grand doesn't really make a difference to you, why don't you write me a cheque for the same the next time you buy a car. Or better still, donate it to a good cause.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
I completely agree with McLaren Rulez - that any company's aim is to make profits at a healthy margins. That's the bottom line against which the top management is measured. Now, how you do it is specific to each company. Some might go after volumes and some might target a specific segment and look for top and bottom line numbers. This is pure business.
Yes profit should be made but with some decency and doing ethical and legal business.

People should also appreciate that customer is the paymaster for manufacturers. People have mentioned that companies are responsible to their owners and their shareholders. Great, but what about responsibility to their paymasters - the customer, without which the company will not exist.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hope Honda reduces the prices across all segments to help people buy the cars they are so obsessed about.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

OT: Has Mahindra passed the benefits of 5k reduction ?
Old 8th July 2009, 10:46   #59
gpa
Senior - BHPian

It is a fine line between interests of the manufacturers and that of customers. Ultimately, Honda has yielded to those of the customer.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Yes profit should be made but with some decency and doing ethical and legal business.
And what aspect of Honda's operations do you find indecent, unethical or illegal? Charging high prices is clearly not any of the above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks