Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Karnataka RTO - sms RTO to get Vehicle details

I just found out today that the KA RTO has an SMS number where you can send any license plate number and it will send you the owners name, and car details like chassis number, ending number etc.

I tried it on my car and apart from showing the prev owner, all the data was correct -- and the response was instantaneous. However, it seems like make this public is violating the privacy of the car owner and opening up this info to misuse.

bn
Old 8th July 2009, 16:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Heard this from one of my friends too, where did you get the SMS number from ? And if it is not meant for the public, does that mean it is for use for RTO, police and related agencies only ?
Old 8th July 2009, 16:34   #3
BHPian

What is the sms number. Please post it. Will be useful to members. Many other states have listed this info on their websites itself.
Old 8th July 2009, 16:43   #4
BHPian

Is this what you are talking. Jai Ho Google

Loophole in SMS facility of RTO? | Deccan Chronicle

Bengaluru, May 15: Transport commissioner Bhaskar Rao has allayed fears that the SMS service being offered by the RTO to track hit-and-run offenders will instead prove to be a blessing in disguise for those keen on ‘tracking’ girls.

The service was launched by the RTO on Thursday to help citizens with details of vehicles involved in hit-and- run cases. Fears were expressed that it would help in conveying personal details especially pertaining to girls.

Anyone can obtain the information on a vehicle owner by sending the registration number to 56006. Within seconds, the name of the vehicle owner and the contact address will be displayed on the SMS sender’s mobile screen helping the public to lodge a police complaint. What is worrying many is the fact that this information could also be easily obtained by a mischief monger.

But Mr Rao brushed aside the fear of the information being misused. He said that only the name of the vehicle owner, the engine number and the chassis number will be provided while replying to the SMS sent to 56006.
“To check how effective the SMS system is, all details of vehicles are being provided for another 10 days. Later, limited information will be provided to the sender and the public need not fret over this,” he said.
The SMS facility was announced by transport minister R. Ashok.
Details of 16 lakh vehicles (registration numbers starting with KA-01, KA-02, KA-03, KA-04 and KA-05) have been stored in the database.
The details of around 70 lakh vehicles will be uploaded in the next eight months. The information on all vehicles which were registered before February 15 has already been uploaded. Vehicles with registration numbers up to KA – 55 will be added shortly, Mr Rao said.
Similarly, the insurance details of all vehicles will be made available. This will help bring insurance fee evaders under the tax net, said Mr Rao.
“After 10 days, those who wish to obtain full information of a particular vehicle can do so it from our official website by providing their e-mail id,” Mr Rao added.

More info

Vehicle info on SMSes=

The State Transport Department is going the e-governance way. Not only has it computerised information on vehicles registered in Bangalore RTOs, it is now thinking of launching an SMS service that can get you information on motor vehicles through your mobiles.

This information will include the vehicle registration number, name & address of the registered owner, engine & chassis numbers of vehicles that are registered.
However, the department is still trying to reach a decision as to whether this information can be let out to the general public or only to the RTO officials and the police.
As of now, the operations have been tested out successfully on a pilot basis. To start with, out of 55 Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) in Karnataka,one can get info of vehicles that are registered in Bangalore RTOs where computerisation is completed-- that is from KA- 01 to KA-05.
Official sources in the Transport Department confirmed the Express that the information of 16 lakh vehicles have already uploaded.
“The vehicle database updated or created by the respective RTOs up to January 2009 has been uploaded and the five per cent error margin will be rectified soon.
However, the mobile SMS service number and users accessibility are yet to be finalised by the department as the business module is being worked out with the service providers,’’ the source informed.
How to use it?
One can type RTO-space-KA- 05-M-followed by the number and send it to a five-digit number from the mobile phone. Each SMS will cost about Rs 3.
“If a service provider charges less than Rs 3 per SMS for this particular service, then we may tie-up with them,’’ the official said.
Accessibility
The department is still figuring out whether the information should be accessible to the general public due to fear of misuse. “The department is also thinking of giving limited access for this service to Transport Department and Police Department for enforcement purposes,’’ the source added. In Delhi, the access has been restricted to RTO officials and the police personnel.
The department was considering the inclusion of vehicle technical details like vehicle maker’s name & classification, month & year of manufacture, details of tax paid and fitness certification, which can accessed by the general public if not the earlier-said information.
“e-governance benefits should reach the people, which is the ultimate purpose of an e-governance. The mobile SMS service will be hassle-free and time saving.
The police or the public need not to go from pillar-to-post in RTOs to get vehicle information,’’ the official said.

Found one more

BTIS - Traffic and Directions on your mobile

Check the tab for RTO

Mods: Found this interesting data. If found useless, kindly delete the same

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 8th July 2009 at 16:48.
Old 8th July 2009, 16:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just found out today that the KA RTO has an SMS number where you can send any license plate number
You mean registration number right?
Old 8th July 2009, 17:05   #6
BHPian

I just checked. It gives the owners name and chassis number, vehicle make etc. It does not give out the address of the owner.
Old 8th July 2009, 17:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I just checked. It gives the owners name and chassis number, vehicle make etc. It does not give out the address of the owner.

Hey, Which one did you try ? Does it give only upto KA 05 series ?

Thanks for your help
Old 8th July 2009, 17:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Hey, Which one did you try ? Does it give only upto KA 05 series ?

Thanks for your help
I tried KA-02. ie RTO space KA-02-**-**** to 56006. all in caps. I had to try a few times. It gave some junk in the beginning.
Old 8th July 2009, 17:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As you know the area of the plate - does not take much to figure out address with a phone directory unless car has been transferred to anoter RTO, Kerala is worse - gives everything including finance details
Old 8th July 2009, 17:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well that certainly is an invasion of privacy. If indeed you were in a hit and run and you memorized the vehicle number, why can't you go to the cops and they can check the name of the offender for you. What extra benefit does the SMS facility give?
Old 8th July 2009, 17:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Kerala is worse - gives everything including finance details

That has been done away with. It now shows only the Owners name and what vehicle it is. if you need to know the rest, on has to enter the chassis number!
Old 8th July 2009, 17:24   #12
BHPian

Worked perfectly accurately for me....
Old 8th July 2009, 17:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You mean registration number right?
Aren't they the same?

B
Old 8th July 2009, 17:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i tried with my own car. it responded with engine no, chassis no, manufacturer/model, color, engine cc and bhp (but that was wrong, surely my 800 isn't 8bhp engine)

this has potential to be misused, it doesn't take much to find out the actual address of the person or other details using social networking sites/phone directory etc.
Old 8th July 2009, 17:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post

this has potential to be misused, it doesn't take much to find out the actual address of the person or other details using social networking sites/phone directory etc.
Precisely. And it doesn't really provide a benefit in hit and run cases unless you plan to give that chap some rough justice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks