Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 15:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

great set of data there GTO and vasudeva. Thanks!
Ford down ~40% y-o-y! Surprising - i was expecting the sales to go up after a well priced Ikon TDCi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I am sure many potential Linea and GP sales are still being lost due to low customer confidence in the Fiat brand. If they scream about their 350% Y-O-Y sales growth maybe at least 50% of the lost sales would be retained by them. Fiat is still being lethargic about marketing their company and products. When will they learn?!
they really should do that! But knowing FIAT they wont. I still dont think they are doing enough to advertise Linea/Punto.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 9th July 2009 at 15:51.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have yet to see concrete information on this supposed discount, or hear of anyone who has successfully availed of the same. Is it confirmed?
I haven't been able to confirm it and hence I said "if the Civic" . Will try calling a few dealers and see what I find out.

Quote:

About 10% only if we go by the numbers. I expected a larger impact.

+1. Corporate communication 101 : When there's a problem, face it. Avoidance creates a mountain out of a molehill.
True. I think the PR campaign as well as the beige interiors have helped.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:25   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyav View Post
Going by the Luxury Segment sales, the Superb selling more than the Accord makes me wonder. At the same time, the fact that Skoda is 2nd only to Toyota in the other segment (The Corolla, Octavia, Laura one) is even more curious.
Their C segment performance is due to the facelift Laura + diesel engines. However, the outstanding Superb deserves success. What a phenomenal machine for only 20 lakhs. This car makes me hope for a positive turnaround at Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Ford down ~40% y-o-y! Surprising - i was expecting the sales to go up after a well priced Ikon TDCi.
You betcha. I'd have picked the Ikon TDCi over my Indigo. Great value.
Old 9th July 2009, 17:49   #34
BHPian

Super Report! Good Analysis
Was waiting for this report from the begning of July! thanks!
Fiat apart from loosing out on advertising is also not caring for its product called the Palio Stile MJD and letting it die slowly. I would say give an option of abs/ebd, airbags and refurbish the interiors and then see the real potential of this car! It is a great product with poor packaging. 200ish is not going to help fiat, Also leaving it as it is should not be an option. This would also help the company to have a desirable product port-folio.

Tata needs to bring in the Indigo vista fast. I honestly feel that this vehicle has the capacity to stand against the strange looking dzire and be successful. Also i hope tata provides the vista with safety features (abs,ebd, airbags) to extract the best potential from this superb VFM car.
Cheers!

Last edited by schitre05 : 9th July 2009 at 17:50.
Old 9th July 2009, 18:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone explain why Toyota drags its feet? Despite the Camry’s all rounded nature, and Toyotas badge value, the Jap company insists on importing the Camry as a CBU resulting in a stragospheric price tag. Market isn’t biting, hotel purchases down too. Only 4 Camrys moved in June.
We keep hearing rumours in newspapers and automags that Toyota is planning to manufacture Camry in India and that this will bring down the price by 4- 5 lakhs. Wonder when that will happen.

Given that Toyota plans to launch the small car for India in 2011,additional sales in the D segment can only help their brand presence and image.

Quote:
The otherwise competent Sonata has now resigned itself to 20 – 40 cars per month (34 cars in June).
The same old sad story. Price cuts didn't work. A diesel didn't work. What about trying something crazy like 5 year warranty pack bundled along with this?
Old 9th July 2009, 18:59   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I have yet to see concrete information on this supposed discount, or hear of anyone who has successfully availed of the same. Is it confirmed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
I haven't been able to confirm it and hence I said "if the Civic" . Will try calling a few dealers and see what I find out.
Its only for select corporates with Direct delivery from Honda. Still some dealers seem to know it as confirmed by some banglore t-bhpian (who seems to even know the names of corporates also) from dakshin honda here on another thread

For mumbai, the discounts are around 90-95K for Civic VMT & around 1.25 Lac for Civic VAT
Old 9th July 2009, 18:59   #37
BHPian

Good to hear that car industry in India is strong. Here in Dubai, the sales are low and the prices of cars have come down. Heard that price of Camry has come down by about Dhs. 20,000/-.
Old 9th July 2009, 19:31   #38
BHPian

Very good analysis of the automobile industry in India. Amazing work GTO & Vasudeva. The numbers are encouraging and looks like people are opening their purses and trying to benefit from low interest rates.
Old 9th July 2009, 19:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This car makes me hope for a positive turnaround at Skoda.
For me it was the new Laura TSI! I took a spin on it as my colleague was considering it (he bought the diesel, btw) and boy - what a mean machine! Its unfortunate these great cars suffer due to a shoddy service reputation.

I really hope Skoda turns around.
Old 9th July 2009, 21:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
• Fiat is seeing these kinds of numbers after a long time! After selling 200 – 300 hatchbacks a month for ages (palio), the Punto has taken their monthly hatch tally to 1,563. If you consider the Palios average monthly tally of 200ish cars, the Punto managed 1,300 sales in just 13 days. Good start.
all kudos to Fiat. Their Never give up attitude is paying off. I'll be the happiest to see it gain more that 1.8% of the market share.

Quote:
• In the hatch segment, General Motors is up a whopping 43.1% YOY with 3,173 hatchbacks sold (primarily Spark), parent’s bankruptcy notwithstanding. However, since they’ve cut the Spark's prices, volumes are slightly down, and lowest since February 2009 (MOM negative of 12.3%). Clearly, only a small percentage of potential customers are affected by GM USA’s bankruptcy. IMHO, GM India’s CEO Karl Slym did a fantastic job of managing the PR surrounding GM’s bankruptcy. Instead of playing avoidance, he took the news head on, gave long interviews to anyone in the media who was willing to listen, and personally appeared in ads & on their website.
He is a good leader and in these times is an asset to the company. Wishing him all the very best and hope that GM oops Chevrolet is all smiles again.
Old 9th July 2009, 21:44   #41
BHPian

Any idea on the SX4 sales for June?

Maruti seem to conveniently bundle the nos along with the Dzire thereby suppressing the actual sales for SX4 only.

I am sure Dzire sells around 5000-5500,so that means only 500 SX4's sold?
Old 9th July 2009, 21:59   #42
BHPian

Here is some analysis that i did, of market shares in individual segments, after plotting the figures since Jan 2007.
My impression of the recent past:
Compact:
Maruti and Hyundai clearly lead the way.There isn't sufficient data to pin-point the effect of Ritz,i20,Jazz,Punto et al.
Among minor players, GM leads the way. Intuitively, that is due to Spark.
Mid Size:
I added Linea to this segment because I don't think that Linea is competing with the Civic et al.
The most interesting segment at the moment. One can clearly see an increasing trend in SX4/DZire. A sharp downward trend can be seen in the case of Honda. It is too early to comment on the Linea, but IMHO, I would guess that, in a few months time, Linea would be selling somewhere in the range of 750-850.
Interestingly, there is a sharp increase in the Hyundai share in the last few months (from 10% to 15%). Could it be that a lot of people are choosing the Verna over ANHC and Linea?
Overall, there is just so much choice in this segment and so many great cars.
Executive:
Toyota and Skoda lead the way.Skoda has considerably gained it's share of the pie since Oct-2008. From ~12% in October, it has a share of over 35% now. Civic is on a sharp decline, so is GM.
Premium:
A competitive segment with Honda leading. Again, Skoda is gaining some ground here as well (the new Laura?)
Attached Thumbnails
June 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-compact.jpg  

June 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-compact_minorplayers.jpg  

June 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-executive.jpg  

June 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-midsize.jpg  

June 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-premium.jpg  

Last edited by e1t1bet : 9th July 2009 at 22:01.
Old 9th July 2009, 22:49   #43
ashwinpak

The corporate firms were mostly banks, and as VP said, it would be directly billed from Honda. If you can find a surrogate buyer, in the form of a friend working in any of those banks, you can coolly save at least a lakh. I don't remember the complete list of banks. Interested people can call the corp sales rep at DH in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Its only for select corporates with Direct delivery from Honda. Still some dealers seem to know it as confirmed by some banglore t-bhpian (who seems to even know the names of corporates also) from dakshin honda here on another thread

For mumbai, the discounts are around 90-95K for Civic VMT & around 1.25 Lac for Civic VAT

Old 9th July 2009, 22:59   #44
BHPian

Seems like the stock clearance sale of current model of Civic has started. Big discounts explains the sudden jump in sales of 223 in May to 451 in June.

If Honda gives only a cosmetic upgrade to Civic, it will continue to be battered by more competent, modern and VFM cars like Altis and Laura.
Old 9th July 2009, 23:30   #45
BHPian

@GTO and vasudeva

First of all, Thanks!!

Quick question though, do these figures represent the volume of cars moving off the showroom floor, the production by a certain manufacturer, or the dispatch of vehicles from the manufacturer to the dealer?

This would certainly shed some light on the surprising no. of cars sold/produced/dispatched for a certain 'Not so serious®' car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks