Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 23:49   #46
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Regarding the City sales, I think many people waited for the Jazz and hence the lower numbers. Many of them probably went in for the Jazz due to the new car euphoria. Next month should be interesting. If City numbers creep up and Jazz goes down then probably people would be preferring to spend a bit more and get a sedan rather then a expensive hatch. Honda's July numbers should be interesting.
Also, many people would have held back their purchase decisions, expecting some largesse from Pranab-da, but he disappointed everyone :(

July sales also may not reveal the true picture as the inauspicious period sets in and people postpone their purchases to late Aug/Sep.

Last edited by oss : 9th July 2009 at 23:52.
Old 9th July 2009, 23:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

The figures for Tata MUV/SUV's are really worrisome. The numbers are bad even in comparison to a lower than last year performance from the costlier Innova.

I had booked a test drive last month on the Tata website for the Safari, with 2 dealers in town. I got a prompt response via SMS, the sales personnel called me a day later, but till now the test drive hasn't happenned. I could easily drop by the dealership, but then, I decided not to. However, what I was surprised about was I received calls from Toyota dealership enquiring if I would be interested in the Innova. The timing did not seem coincidental, something fishy is going on. Could be that Tata dealer sales personell could be on the Toyota payroll.

Tata needs to take their mind of the Nano for its own good.

Last edited by 1100D : 9th July 2009 at 23:57.
Old 10th July 2009, 00:10   #48
BHPian

With the launch of the Punto where does the Vista stand as in positioning of the car ?
Rhino sold Zero units? Has Sonalika / ICML shut shop ?
Fabia must be " feeling special " !
I am surprised with the Jazz . Honda is considered god in India .
Old 10th July 2009, 00:56   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

i am Surprised to see the CRV+Grand Vitara Figure.
Old 10th July 2009, 01:27   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Seems like the stock clearance sale of current model of Civic has started. Big discounts explains the sudden jump in sales of 223 in May to 451 in June.

If Honda gives only a cosmetic upgrade to Civic, it will continue to be battered by more competent, modern and VFM cars like Altis and Laura.
No, its not stock clearance of current Civic only. The discount is across the variants/ models including Jazz (22K to 55 K discount)
Old 10th July 2009, 04:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

There's no information on Tavera? It was once the mainstay of GM in India.

Fiat needs to either bury Palio or give it better interiors and position it below the Punto and at Indica price points as a premium product.

Ford's debacle is surprising but Ford has probably read the minds. They are already working on a redesigned Fiesta. Also a Corolla/Optra Competer is on the cards afaik.

Honda?? no comments. I am waiting till Indians start building temples and shrines.

Logan needs a grave now. Unless MahindraRenault pulls up its socks with a redesign taking the game to Indigo, Ikon, Dzire and Accent.

HM guys have a monopoly. They are still the leaders in the market (1960 on their calendars) Nothing can shake them even today. :P

How many units did the Montero sell?

No numbers on Nissan, VW,Audi,SKoda, Volvo?
Old 10th July 2009, 06:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
No, its not stock clearance of current Civic only. The discount is across the variants/ models including Jazz (22K to 55 K discount)
Many people will not like me saying this but it means public resistance has started building up to the vastly overpriced Honda range. Only poor sales would have forced Honda to start giving discounts across the range. It also means that the June sales figures of City and Jazz have been achieved due to these hefty discounts.

Honda ruled the roost in absence of any competent competition and made the Honda bosses think that they could sell Honda in India at any price. Now situation is changing fast. CRV has stopped selling due to high prices (Zero sales in April, May June). Their atrociously priced Civic Hybrid sold only after they dropped the priced by 7-8 lacs. In spite of Skoda's atrocious reputation Superb has already overtaken the so called mighty Accord. Imagine the plight of Honda, if Toyota sees sense and starts local assembly of Camry and drops prices by 5-6 lacs. Accord will drop below 100 units per month. Altis and Laura are already running ahead of Civic and I doubt very much that a mere cosmetic face lift will rescue Civic in future.

i20 and Punto are all set to challenge Jazz. Skoda can also join the fray if they improve its horrible A.S.S. and plonks a better engine in Fabia. And as people's confidence grows in FIAT, Linea will become a formidable competitor to City.

Next 6 months sales figures will be quite interesting for all above brands.
Old 10th July 2009, 08:42   #53
BHPian

Given the overheating in the "premium hatch" segment, I keep wondering how is the Polo going to differentiate itself. From what the auto mags say, Polo will be launched with a 3 cylinder petrol and diesel aka Fabia. How can it then differentiate itself from the Fabia?
Old 10th July 2009, 09:15   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Best selling premium SUV? The Mitsubishi Pajero at a June score of 163, followed by the Endeavour with 151 cars.
Wouldn't the Mitsubishi numbers include Outlander as well ?
Old 10th July 2009, 09:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Its interesting to see that Verna/Accent sold more than ANHC in June. Must be to do with hefty discounts on Verna and Jazz launch.
Old 10th July 2009, 09:44   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
tanveer sir i am also eyeing this 10-13 lac suv segment and and i am keeping an eye for the skoda yeti which as the grapevine goes will be released at auto expo 2010 and if starting petrol 1.2 tsi front wheel drive is priced at some where near 10 lac .i will be game for the 2.0 diesel 4*4.

the figures are along expected lines hope to see fiat at 5th position in overall sales

High hopes... If my memory serves me right, The yeti will be priced around 17-25 Lacs.. as per a show on CNBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

I agree. It's time for full page newspaper adverts shouting about them being the fastest growing car manufacturer in India - they wouldn't be lying either!

I am sure many potential Linea and GP sales are still being lost due to low customer confidence in the Fiat brand. If they scream about their 350% Y-O-Y sales growth maybe at least 50% of the lost sales would be retained by them. Fiat is still being lethargic about marketing their company and products. When will they learn?!

Probably Never!! Trust Fiat on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Good to see Fiat make some progress. It would be a pretty good start for the GP if it settles down to 2000 a month. That would put the Fiat+Linea at 3K a month or 36K a year. That is far below their plant capacity of 2 lacs a year. How does Fiat plan to bridge the gap?

I think that fiat also will produce cars for TATA and the engines for everyone else... so even if it does below 36000 it wont probably face any problems.... I am sure their internal targets will be far below... Historically, even the palio sold great numbers initially...........

Last edited by theMAG : 10th July 2009 at 10:45. Reason: Use the same post to manage content for upto 20 mins. No back-back posts allowed
Old 10th July 2009, 09:52   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hatchbacks:

• The 800 has improved 4.4% month-on-month, but is down a massive 55% year on year. Piddly sales of a mere 2438 cars sold. While Maruti has succeeded in having the Alto take over the 800’s mantle, what about the 800’s future? It seems even Maruti hasn’t yet decided.
Thanks for the figures and an indepth analysis.

The dip in M800 sales may be a strategy by Maruthi rather than a demand situation. Maruthi would like to utilise the existing capacity to produce more profitable cars rather than M800. M800 would have recovered all the development and tooling costs and Maruthi could afford to make these cars in smaller volumes without worrying about fixed cost recovery.

Hence the ploy would be to cut down on M800 and push Alto but keep the M800 alive atleast till assessing the success of Nano and then take a call on phasing out.
Old 10th July 2009, 09:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Having worked for MNC in India, i can share that the cost of marketing should always be a % of sales generated e.g. 1% or 2% or 3% of sales value.
lesser the sale, lesser would be the marketing

FIAT has done some clever things last few quarters

1. revamped their distribution by working with TATA, this increased the reach of product availability, sales counters, sales people etc
2. improving the service network
3. low cost financing options e.g. 8.5% interest loans on linea
4. going in for low cost outdoor advertisements coupled with news paper advertisements
5. using TV medium for launching new products only
6. Senior management visibility in the media, distribution circles, different major markets etc
7. training the Sales/Service personal to be more polished in terms of skills, customer handling etc

these are few initiatives which will help in longer term if and if they are continued and built upon one monthly/quarterly basis.

Any let up would again make people shout from the roof top that

"It is a FIAT, i told you so, they will be like that only !!!, they will never changes"

Often markets does have elephant memories, only sustained efforts can erase not so good memories/reputation and build good/solid reputation.
Old 10th July 2009, 10:49   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Fiat apart from loosing out on advertising is also not caring for its product called the Palio Stile MJD and letting it die slowly. I would say give an option of abs/ebd, airbags and refurbish the interiors and then see the real potential of this car!
In my opinion, the Palio is dead. Any efforts in reviving it will be lost. Fiat is better off focussing on the Punto & Linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
We keep hearing rumours in newspapers and automags that Toyota is planning to manufacture Camry in India and that this will bring down the price by 4- 5 lakhs. Wonder when that will happen.
Absolutely. Toyota is such a slow - yet sure - mover in India. They've taken 4 years to get the Fortuner here, a product that has a ready market waiting. Seeing that the Accord sells 2,500 - 3,000 cars a year, who was the wise Jap guy who thought of importing the Camry anyways? It should have been assembled in India from day one.

Quote:
Given that Toyota plans to launch the small car for India in 2011,additional sales in the D segment can only help their brand presence and image.
Solid point made.

Quote:
The same old sad story. Price cuts didn't work. A diesel didn't work. What about trying something crazy like 5 year warranty pack bundled along with this?
Sure would be a step in the right direction. Plus, Hyundai & their dealers - both - need to work harder to move 'em Sonatas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Its only for select corporates with Direct delivery from Honda.
I'm sorry, but I would not call it as a "Honda discount" available to anyone and everyone. The impression most people got (including myself) is that Honda is heavily discounting its cars for everyone. That was inaccurate information, plain and simple. If Citibank lowers its interest rates by 1% to Bharti-Axa HNI's, we really cannot post several messages on "Citibank discounting finance rates". That sends out the wrong message. A more appropriate way of terming this bit of news would be "Citibank's special offers ONLY to select customers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
He is a good leader and in these times is an asset to the company. Wishing him all the very best and hope that GM oops Chevrolet is all smiles again.
You bet. I have ended up very impressed in his PR handling of GM's bankruptcy. A good leader indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
If Honda gives only a cosmetic upgrade to Civic, it will continue to be battered by more competent, modern and VFM cars like Altis and Laura.
What the Civic really needs is better standard equipment. The Altis makes it feel naked. I hope Honda realises that it can't get away with selling stripped down cars anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Quick question though, do these figures represent the volume of cars moving off the showroom floor, the production by a certain manufacturer, or the dispatch of vehicles from the manufacturer to the dealer?
Vasudeva is in a better position to answer this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The figures for Tata MUV/SUV's are really worrisome. The numbers are bad even in comparison to a lower than last year performance from the costlier Innova.

I had booked a test drive last month on the Tata website for the Safari, with 2 dealers in town. I got a prompt response via SMS, the sales personnel called me a day later, but till now the test drive hasn't happenned. I could easily drop by the dealership, but then, I decided not to. However, what I was surprised about was I received calls from Toyota dealership enquiring if I would be interested in the Innova. The timing did not seem coincidental, something fishy is going on. Could be that Tata dealer sales personell could be on the Toyota payroll.

Tata needs to take their mind of the Nano for its own good.
Well, Tata has really not done anything to service the mainstream MUV segment after the Sumo in 1993. The Sumo Grande is old wine in a new bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
How many units did the Montero sell?
Mitsu is not sharing any information. With a price tag of 49 lakh rupees, I don't see too many buying a new Montero today. Don't forget that the same Montero was priced at 40 lakhs in 2008, the previous gen Pajero (nearly the same car) was 35 lakhs, and the one earlier to that (again, the same platform) was 32 lakhs. HM must be smoking some pretty serious stuff to continually raise the prices on a non-seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Wouldn't the Mitsubishi numbers include Outlander as well ?
I double-checked and the sheet clearly states "Pajero" only.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2009 at 10:57.
Old 10th July 2009, 11:22   #60
BHPian

hi,

does some one have the following numbers for june 09

xylo
innova
scorpio
tavera
sumo grande

sijil
Closed Thread

Most Viewed