Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Most logical and Practical Hatch for the price.
Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 6 2.39%
Fiat Punto 77 30.68%
Ford Fusion 60 23.90%
Honda Jazz 7 2.79%
Hyundai I20 57 22.71%
Maruti Ritz 39 15.54%
Skoda Fabia 5 1.99%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 12:49   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
1. Needs to comfortably sit 5 (not necessarily full sized) adults.
Well you can easily sit 5 full sized adults. Even 6 can slip in and one more in the boot

Quote:
2. Needs to have high ground clearance (given the really bad state of BLR roads). Specially with the new drainage creation drive, all roads in and around my house ideally need off-road capable vehicles.
On the FF it is better than the Scorpio and Safari! Only the Endeavour beats it.

Quote:
3. High seating position (guess after driving a Santro for a few years am addicted to this, I have owned a zen for long and just don't feel comfortable driving it now).
Drive a Fusion. You will realise it has a much higher seating position than most cars. In conventional "Tall-boys" like the Santro & WagonR, the seats are nearly at normal car level, but the empty (wasted) space above your head is a lot! In the Fusion, the seats are higher and you sit closer to the roof.

If I can quote Imtiaz from the Fusion group:

"The Fusion seats are at a height that you walk into them. You don't crouch to get in (sedans/hatch backs) or climb onto them (UV/SUV). They are also at ideal height for expectant mothers, from first hand experience"

Quote:
4. Hatch only. Easier to drive in the city.
Actually it is more of a station wagon than a hatch (with the ample space behind the rear seat). (You can almost fit two jumps seats in there). What I dislike about sedans is the space wasted above the boot. Had the roof line carried on, you would have a lot more covered space. That's where station wagons (or SUVs) score.

Quote:
8. Needs to have some "uniqueness" or "exclusivity". Having driven a car when practically everyone around you would have the same, this is important.

9. Poor resale value (while someone starts wondering why, I am looking for a used car. Something with poor resale suits my budget perfectly).
These are some of the reasons that also supported my logic for getting a Palio 1.6 GTX/Sport/S10 or Fusion.

Quote:
Honestly I do not see anything else coming even close to meeting my requirements other than the Fusion. I wish Ford looks closely at this thread (not my post).
I wish the same too
Old 13th July 2009, 12:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
If Fusion is going to be discontinued, is there any replacement model planned by Ford?
Actually there are more than a couple of vehicles that fit the bill from the Ford of Europe's (from where all our Fords come from) stable (click names for links):

1. C-Max (Similar to the Jazz)

2. S-Max (This one can almost move into the Xylo/Innova space and will be a much better car)

3. Galaxy (Innova Space)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
The facts about Fusion makes me wonder why none of the other manufacturers tried a cross over like this, with high GC, bigger alloys and a roomy car.
Yes. The fact is when the car gets bigger, we Indians like to stuff it with more seats. Else the bigger is not worthwhile enough. See the Innova, Bolero, Scorpio and Xylo. We have large families and a large car with just 5 seats is not large enough!

Last edited by Glifford : 13th July 2009 at 13:01. Reason: Added description to indicate URLs
Old 13th July 2009, 13:41   #48
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see so much noise being made about the fusion. the Fusion is kind of an underdog, and I personally feel people who have not driven it, end up comparing it to other smaller hatches. i'm not talking about performance here, but more to do with practicality, like Glifford explained above.

Also, I have the TDCi deisel variant, which is the same engine as in the fiesta, so no engine parts issues. Yeah, some body etc. parts need to be ordered, but its a small price to pay for exclusivity IMO. Recently I changed the front bumper and fender because of a small crash, and it was easily available. Although a bit pricey.

Another thing worth mentioning is the 'mileage'. Easily returns 17-18 in the city, and more on the highway. Its peppy enough to drive in the city, although at speeds above 120 it cries for mercy. But then, it drives beautifully on the highways, in fact its superb. The feeling you get while flying past those huge speedbreakers (carbreakers?) when civics and citys (cars?) are trying to climb like a compound wall is priceless !!

Now for the boys talking about 'smaller' toys punto? swift? i think you guys need to check out the fusion in person, especially in terms of boot space, GC etc. no comparison at all. Like someone mentioned earlier, this is a 'crossover' and not a hatch.

I also never knew the GC was better than a scorpio and safari ! Thats news !!
Old 13th July 2009, 14:53   #49
oss
BHPian

Wht no Swift when the Ritz & U-VA are included?
Old 13th July 2009, 15:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Just wish they would put in extra equipments like ABS etc., revamp the interiors AND put in the 1.6 Diesel mill in it. i would go for it.
It has ABS with EBD in Plus version.

Not much to tell much. I think all Fusioner already told all the Adv/DisAdv of this vehicle. As a Fusion owner I liked the vehicle. And its perfect for my requirement as my travel goes beyond CITY limit too.

I believe comparing Fusion with the RITZ and GP is bit unfair.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

I cannot understand the intent of this thread. You want to know what was wrong/right with Fusion. And then the question asked in the Poll is different.
Another opportunity for everyone to see the community feeling of a minority.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I cannot understand the intent of this thread. You want to know what was wrong/right with Fusion. And then the question asked in the Poll is different.
Interesting observation! You have a point!
Old 13th July 2009, 22:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are in the market for a Superhatch. You look at all the cars and not the Fusion. But then it strikes you that Fusion is in the same segment and is actually a better car for your daily needs. What do you do?

Now look at the poll and the question.

Look at the votes fusion has got. If Ford had given it some good pricing and promotions I am sure it can still sell well.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
lets just say that the poll is here for us to give our opinions and the thread starter just gave his saying that he felt the fusion had a good chance of being the super hatch if few things were altered here and there!!
everyone can vote in and share their views about why they choose it!
Old 13th July 2009, 22:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
You are in the market for a Superhatch. You look at all the cars and not the Fusion. But then it strikes you that Fusion is in the same segment and is actually a better car for your daily needs. What do you do?

Now look at the poll and the question.

Look at the votes fusion has got. If Ford had given it some good pricing and promotions I am sure it can still sell well.
The cars listed in the poll were non-existent when Fusion was launched and for a long time after that.
The votes for other cars here cannot be considered as vote against Fusion.

Now in our market, you lose once and will never be taken seriously again. We know what happened to Getz and Palio even after they got diesels and were VFM. I still think the poll and discussion about Fusion are two different things.
Old 14th July 2009, 01:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

I think it is more an Estate rather than a hatch

I have never looked upon a Fusion as a hatchback. It always struck me as a scaled down "Estate"/"Station Wagon", perhaps because I grew up in those lovely Jeep Wagonners and Plymouth S/Ws and am therefore partial to estates.

Even today, after re-looking at the Fusion in the light of what is written in this thread, I remain of the view that the Fusion is more an "Estate" - something like the Fiat Palio Adventure or Opel Corsa Swing, rather than a hatch (Fiat Palio and Opel Corsa Sail).

Cheers,
Old 14th July 2009, 08:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Fusion all in all is a great car,but put me off on the looks.
My vote goes to i20 for its feature it offers in its segment,though it expensive and doesn't have good driving dynamics.
I sencond GP for the rest.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 14th July 2009 at 08:54.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:28   #58
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Fusion all in all is a great car,but put me off on the looks.
My vote goes to i20 for its feature it offers in its segment,though it expensive and doesn't have good driving dynamics.
I sencond GP for the rest.
you learn something new everyday
Old 14th July 2009, 23:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

A new front/rear design surely wont hurt ford. The diesel is below the 4m mark length anyways.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:40   #60
BHPian

I had a TD of Diesel Fusion, the dealer didnt had a Fusion+ test vehicle. I was satisfied with the interior, leg room. seating position, head room and particularly the boot. But, the only problem now is, it is 8 L OTR in Bangalore and I cant afford that much.

Surprisingly the dash had "AIRBAG" written over it and i asked the Sales person does it have airbags and he said "no sir", it is just printed . Could someone please confirm it?

It had everything i wish to have, Alloy wheels, ABS, bigger boot, fog lamps, ample storage space, tilt adjustable steering wheel, DTE (Distance to Empty), tacho and good road view. Since as of now i am doubtful to buy a new car, I would appreciate if any of our members are willing to sell one.

Most Viewed