Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Most logical and Practical Hatch for the price.
Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 6 2.39%
Fiat Punto 77 30.68%
Ford Fusion 60 23.90%
Honda Jazz 7 2.79%
Hyundai I20 57 22.71%
Maruti Ritz 39 15.54%
Skoda Fabia 5 1.99%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 00:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Fusion a superhatch before its prime?

Ford Fusion when launched some years ago was touted by many as a car which falls in neither segment. Now There are cars selling for the same price competing for the same segment which Fusion never really created. But from my last test drive of the Fusion petrol and Diesel this is what I found.

Bigger car, better engines, decent interiors, lots of storage space, huge boot and better capability on our roads.

The big question now is, Does it make a compelling case for Fusion+ with ABS and EBD, 15" alloys and height adjutable seats compared to the Fabia's, Jazz's and I20's? Lets not forget the 2 years of maintaince contract Ford throws in along with 24-hour roadside assistance program.

Doesnt it fulfill the requirements as a super hatch the most? Is anybody even looking at this car?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 11th July 2009 at 00:37.
Old 11th July 2009, 00:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

when it was launched, it was ok (not good though) but now, it has shown it's age. the european market has a refreshed one, the american market has a sedan, but the this one is really bad. i vote for the sexy beast-the punto.
Old 11th July 2009, 01:23   #3
BHPian

Logical and practical has to be the i20, The Punto is a heart car, it pulls at your heart-strings so hard that your brain just doesn't work :-)
Old 11th July 2009, 01:27   #4
BHPian

Its known as Ford's conFusion for a reason!

The Italian Bella Donna gets my vote.
Old 11th July 2009, 02:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it still does.
It not only offers the most space, but comes with most of the features, lots of driver appeal, powerful petrol and diesel engines.
Most of the new premium hatches have major shortcomings in terms of performance and space, specially in comparison to the Fusion. I for a fact would love to replace our fiesta with a fusion.
The i20 is too overpriced, the Punto has poor performance, the U-VA too outdated, the Jazz too expensive, and the Fabia is a Skoda!
A cut price Fusion would be perfect.

@amit V8: The American Fusion is a completely different vehicle than the European one. In America, the fusion is similar to the Mondeo in Europe.
Old 11th July 2009, 07:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Most of the new premium hatches have major shortcomings in terms of performance and space, specially in comparison to the Fusion. I for a fact would love to replace our fiesta with a fusion.
The i20 is too overpriced, the Punto has poor performance, the U-VA too outdated, the Jazz too expensive, and the Fabia is a Skoda!

Performance means what ? Only 0-100KM time ,which is a good indicator of pulling power but not generally used by common people except spirited (literally)enthusiast. Even that may not be much different from GP. How about other things like handling, body roll and very important FE ?
Old 11th July 2009, 07:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@sanagg: what I mentioned above was only about the major downsides faced by other cars too.

The Punto is a stunner to look at, with very good ride and handling, FE, features, etc.
However, the performance is quite poor and I don't only mean 0-100. I have read reports that the Punto is slow from the start which would impact its performance in the city, making it a pain to drive in traffic.
Old 11th July 2009, 08:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

1) Ford Fusion has a good advantage as compared to others, but it loses on FE, a parameter that is critical for a hatch IMHO. The petrol motor is too large to be driven in Indian cities that are becoming epitome of indiscipline driving.

2) The latest entrants in the hatchback segment are quite strong. They too come with diesel motors and pack in quite a punch in both petrol and diesel formats. Ritz and I20 are good examples. I am not counting great for GP because the A.S & S. is managed by tata, a manufacturer who is not able to provide good A.S & S. for tata cars, let alone Fiat. Simply put they dont have knowledgeable staff and infrastructure to match with the cars.

3) Here is why I have voted for Ritz. Since we are talking about practicality, Ritz is the one that offers quite a good range of motors, is relatively less expensive to buy and maintain, A.S & S. is good and wide spread, FE is good, GC is good, decent space for its size and peace of mind factor coming in to seal the deal.

4) Fusion is basically an excellent higway car with good seating position and ability to handle bad roads better than some sedans. The diesel motor is not sufficient to keep up high speeds, but petrol motor is nice to drive on the highways. The available space can be used well. IMHO, its dated and ford A.S & S. + resale value puts it down. Looks also might have played a role in failure of this model. Reason why Suzuki did not come up with SX4 hatch as this segment is not mature enough.
Old 11th July 2009, 08:36   #9
BHPian

No wonder, it's between i20 and Punto.

Somehow I don't understand the hotness in Punto's design being better than i20's. Therefore, I voted for i20.
Old 11th July 2009, 08:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

I do not really know which is the most logical / practical hatch for the price etc etc.

I always liked the Fusion for its features and practicality though at the time I was in the market for a car, I really could not afford the Fusion. It will be ahead of its time for sure like a lot of cars that have gone to the grave without much market success.

I have voted for the Jazz btw.
Old 11th July 2009, 08:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Yes, it still does.
A lot of people think that i20 (or Fabia) is expensive.

What do these cars provide over Fusion+ TDCi?
1. Automatic Climate Control
2. 2 or 6 Airbags
3. Fabia's build quality ROCKS
4. Steering Mounted Controls
5. Projector Headlamps (Fabia)
6. Electrically foldable/adjustable ORVMS
7. Good quality Stereo with 4-6 speakers and additional two tweeters
8. Cooled Glove boxes

These are just some of the features that come to my mind (I am comparing only the top end versions)

After recent price cuts from dealers for the Fabia diesel, Fabia is priced almost same as i20 CRDi (8.0L for Fabia Ambiente - 8.15 for i20 Asta, 8.59 for Fabia Elegance vs 8.53 for i20 Asta(O))

Ford Fusion is priced @ 8.2L OTR. You decide!

PS:- I've ignored Skoda A.S.S for the discussion. We all know how bad it is.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 11th July 2009 at 09:00.
Old 11th July 2009, 08:58   #12
BHPian

The only reasons I didn't buy Fusion is due to the lack of airbags and high price - its got everything else one needs - good GC, drivability, interior space etc

One thing I'm sure of - if Ford had put the 1.4 petrol in the Fusion, they would've saved some manufacturing cost and tax cost for an engine that's more than 1.5 liters. That would've brought the price to much saner levels - perhaps 6.0 ex-showroom delhi for the Fusion plus 1.4 petrol.

Last edited by reppy : 11th July 2009 at 09:02.
Old 11th July 2009, 09:30   #13
srh
BHPian

Any reason Vista and Swift are excluded?

With the same engines as that of the Punto and Ritz, these should also be included in the poll. Especially the Vista because of the space it offers
Old 11th July 2009, 09:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

every indian car needs a little SUV lineage to cope with the roads.
I agree about the fusion. pity ford service is not any better
Old 11th July 2009, 10:07   #15
BHPian

If Ford gives the Fusion+, with ABS, alloys, and a 3-year maintenance guarantee like GM has, at around 6.5-7 lakhs on-road, I would buy it for my next car.

Most Viewed