Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 11:45   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
They should forget the car that established them in India?
Not necessary to forget it. But it doesnt mean that you should keep on selling it for ever.

What established Hyundai and other Korean brands like Samsung/LG in India against Jap/EU brands when nobody gave them a chance was that they were ready to bring the latest models sold worldwide to India. Compare with the attitude of Maruti, and the total flop of 10-year old Peugeot models.

The i10 is the replacement for the Santro, and the Santro should be dropped. Going by your logic The Jaguar should still sell the 1960 E-type that gained it massive popularity. Toyota Corolla and VW Golf are hugely successful iconic cars that played a key role in establishing the footprint of the respective companies. However that doesnt mean that that a 10 year old corolla model is sold today along with the current model.

What is happening here is simple fleecing of the customer base al-la-Maruti 800, by making good profits off old parts and dies whose value has already been recovered.

Last edited by chncar : 13th July 2009 at 11:47.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:54   #32
BHPian

i think its a bad idea for hyundai to sell the santro with some exteriors and interior changes. Coz when i10 is selling so good with good features than santro with almost the same prices, bringing a new santro is going to be a flop. instead they should launch a new model. i think a new car in Csegment is what hyundai needs now. Verna's sales got killed with launches of ANHC and the FIAT LINEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Now, do i need to wait till dec for the new Santro or shall i go ahead and buy the existing one? I am confused.
i think you can TD the i10 also its a good car and a new model than santro.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th July 2009 at 16:23.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I would recommend to scrap this model as the life of the model is long over. IMO, i10 is a better buy than Santro. Just making some cosmetic changes might not do good for the old horse.
I think it helps to have options in the largest segment of the market. That may come in whatever form - be it an all new model, a cosmetic change or in whatever form.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:10   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharu945 View Post
i think you can TD the i10 also its a good car and a new model than santro.
I thought santro would be cheaper than i10 and hence could save some bucks for ICE and pay a bit lesser EMI. But, now i feel it makes sense to TD both i10 and santro and compare prices and comfort and see how much i "really" save rather than going by records. Thanks for the suggestion Sharu.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:22   #35
BHPian

Why Santro Zing is going to be phased out ??
Is Hyundai is launching CRDi in Santro or what ??
Old 13th July 2009, 12:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

I feel, the Santro looks best with the look it currently sports, after going through a face lift atleast a couple of times.
But having said that, perhaps we all grew into it some stage or later. So I'm going to hate it if it is anything near to the Kia on display here. But eventually, some of us will grow with the new looks.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:37   #37
Team-BHP Support

Even I think that it will be pretty hard for Hyundai to improve the looks of the car. The current look is the best that it ever has been. On the other hand, every cosmetic change has only improved the aesthetics so lets see how this one pans out.

As far as dicsontinuing the car is concerned, I think it does its job as an entry level car pretty well and hence very much in the plans of the first time car buyers.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:42   #38
BHPian

Exactly Prince, even i felt, the current Santro Xing looks great, a peppy yet family looking car, somehow, even after seeing i10 for quite a while, i dont get that feel, i dont know whether it is due to its beige interiors or due to the small front grill or the shape of its HL. But, whatever, for god's sake, i need a family car with good rear seating and comfort..
Old 13th July 2009, 16:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

It will not look even 1 % like the kia picanto morning as posted in this thread before. Its just a cosmetic change and mechanical tweak, coming this christmas.

Petrol, LPG and CNG (select cities) options will remain.

Twist in the tale: Price band between 2,60,000-3,75,000 (from NON AC to the top model).
2-3 varients only.
Old 13th July 2009, 16:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
It will not look even 1 % like the kia picanto morning as posted in this thread before. Its just a cosmetic change and mechanical tweak, coming this christmas.

Twist in the tale: Price band between 2,60,000-3,75,000 (from NON AC to the top model).
2-3 varients only.

Nice Scoop sidindica. Bye the way earlier version of santro also had round headlights. Is that revisiting?

Bye the way thread title should be "Bye Bye Xing" not "Bye Bye Zing". Hope some mods can look into this and edit thread title accordingly.
Old 13th July 2009, 16:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:

2-3 varients only.
In my opinion if they can get a model with AC and PS for approx. Rs. 3 Lacs ex-showroom it will make things difficult for cars like Spark, Estillo & Wagon - R!
Old 13th July 2009, 17:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:

2-3 varients only.
Sid, even now, the price band is between 2,60,000 - 3,75,000, so whats the difference does the change brings in?
Between, Just now i took a test drive of i10 sportz and the sales person was saying that their technical person during their visit to Chennai has seen a 1.1L diesel engine in display, any scoop of i10 1.1 diesel on cards?
I wonder how it would be to have a diesel on i10
Old 13th July 2009, 17:59   #43
BANNED

I always though that the i10 was the replacement for the Santro. The equivalent Kia model is the Kia Visto which is also produced in India for export.
Old 13th July 2009, 18:05   #44
BHPian

Is Santro is coming with (1.3L?) MPFI Petrol Engine or (1.2L?) CRDi Diesel Engine ??
Any pics ??
Old 14th July 2009, 10:59   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ chncar : Awesome post. Lets not forget how Toyota replaced the best-selling Qualis with the modern Innova.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks