Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 12:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Not necessary to forget it. But it doesnt mean that you should keep on selling it for ever.

What established Hyundai and other Korean brands like Samsung/LG in India against Jap/EU brands when nobody gave them a chance was that they were ready to bring the latest models sold worldwide to India. Compare with the attitude of Maruti, and the total flop of 10-year old Peugeot models.

The i10 is the replacement for the Santro, and the Santro should be dropped. Going by your logic The Jaguar should still sell the 1960 E-type that gained it massive popularity. Toyota Corolla and VW Golf are hugely successful iconic cars that played a key role in establishing the footprint of the respective companies. However that doesnt mean that that a 10 year old corolla model is sold today along with the current model.

What is happening here is simple fleecing of the customer base al-la-Maruti 800, by making good profits off old parts and dies whose value has already been recovered.
Great post!. We hold a minority view though, as most Indian consumers are resistant to change.
Old 14th July 2009, 12:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

santro was supposed to be phased out and then you head another scoop from sid, and that price range would be difficult for i10 then.
Old 14th July 2009, 12:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
santro was supposed to be phased out and then you head another scoop from sid, and that price range would be difficult for i10 then.
As i have mentioned earlier in my post, even the current price range for the santro is the same and i fail to understand what is the change in the price that Hyundai is bringing in, someone please enlighten me
Old 14th July 2009, 18:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota Corolla and VW Golf are hugely successful iconic cars that played a key role in establishing the footprint of the respective companies. However that doesnt mean that that a 10 year old corolla model is sold today along with the current model.

What is happening here is simple fleecing of the customer base al-la-Maruti 800, by making good profits off old parts and dies whose value has already been recovered.
VW sells a 20 year old design Golf in South Africa (CitiGolf ?) and Fiat sells a 20 year old design Uno (w/ lots of lipstick) in Latin American markets.

Its the customers decision, if they like it they buy it...nobody is forcing them and there are plenty of choices in the market.
Old 14th July 2009, 21:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Not necessary to forget it. But it doesnt mean that you should keep on selling it for ever.

What established Hyundai and other Korean brands like Samsung/LG in India against Jap/EU brands when nobody gave them a chance was that they were ready to bring the latest models sold worldwide to India. Compare with the attitude of Maruti, and the total flop of 10-year old Peugeot models.

The i10 is the replacement for the Santro, and the Santro should be dropped. Going by your logic The Jaguar should still sell the 1960 E-type that gained it massive popularity. Toyota Corolla and VW Golf are hugely successful iconic cars that played a key role in establishing the footprint of the respective companies. However that doesnt mean that that a 10 year old corolla model is sold today along with the current model.

Yeah, though it was hard to digest when I first read they should phase it out.
Old 14th July 2009, 22:11   #51
BANNED

Has there been any official confirmation about the New Santro? Or is this pure speculation?
Old 14th July 2009, 22:27   #52
BHPian

Anyone is having spy pics of new Santro ?? Is it face lifted or only some modifications in design ?? New engine or the same ??
Is it only for Indian market or worldwide market ??
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

plagiarism

SCOOP! New Hyundai Santro coming in December

and

Hyundai To Launch New Santro In December
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:35   #54
BHPian

The current Santro has an appeal to it, the new car (from KIA motors) in pics looks crap
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:58   #55
gpa
Senior - BHPian

The new Santro as shown in the pics actually looks well rounded and does have a lot of appeal. The sides sort of resemble the i20 with its sharp lines and the headlamp cluster looks very similar to that of MUL's A-Star!

The rear end has been changed very radically with the round clusters for the turn signals and reverse lights. From the pics, it does look like the height has been reduced as well as it no longer has the tall-boy stance.

Will be interesting to see what engines power the car and of Hyundai will offer Indian customers a diesel engine.

Last edited by gpa : 23rd July 2009 at 19:59.
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
did they approach you for publishing those!!looks like cheap gimmicks to me!!
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:57   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Haha! Bunch of fools they are.
Old 24th July 2009, 01:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

If it is the Kia Picanto that's going to replace the Santro, then there is cause for anticipation. However, i sincerely hope Hyundai(India) won't assign this task to any Indian designers they may have on their payroll. Remember the Zen redesign?.I'm praying again.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:06   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It will not look even 1 % like the kia picanto morning as posted in this thread before. Its just a cosmetic change and mechanical tweak, coming this christmas.

Petrol, LPG and CNG (select cities) options will remain.

Twist in the tale: Price band between 2,60,000-3,75,000 (from NON AC to the top model).
2-3 varients only.
Guys, I think we are getting carried away!

See Sid's statement above. No way Hyundai will change the body shape etc on the Santro but will only make cosmetic changes such as the bonnet leading edges, fenders, tail-lights, bumpers etc apart from the ECU tweaking to make it Euro IV compliant.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:14   #60
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
However, i sincerely hope Hyundai(India) won't assign this task to any Indian designers they may have on their payroll.
+ 1 to that. I hope they bring in a totally redesigned car like the Kia Picanto featured in those photos. Mere tweaks to the bumpers is something that is disappointing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks