Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 07:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Since it is comming from a person who has driven the GTX for a very long time and has had major problems with the after sales, i think he just wanted to clarify that after sales is as important as the car itself.

I will be very happy if linea and punto do well but the History says that Fiat always launch their great cars with a bang and some time later people start doing Bang Bang.

The guy never tried justifying his new car.
Spot on with the comments, Gaurav! I was also asking the question about history, not proclaiming that it will!
And there is a different place to explain the logic for the i 20, so I have done just that, there. I don't think I or anyone else has to justify the decision for the things they buy to the world at large - it was a free country the last time I checked
Old 13th July 2009, 08:16   #77
Senior - BHPian

@Sawyer! Whats the intention of this thread!

I beleive a clear one-liner on why we have this thread is going to help us for a healthy discussion.

I know 3 owners of the Linea. They are happy with the A.S.S of Fiat and the kind of attention they do get with their cars. Atleast here in Chennai. Its more than a love story for them when they talk about their ownership experience for the past 3 or 4months.

@Sawyer, if its a thread about justifying your decision of buying a i20 over the Punto. Congratulations and please get this thread moved to the Initial ownership experience. Or well if its a concern you have over the Punto we have a Punto Review thread. I am not sure if you need to call a whole thread just to crib about justifying your decision.

Fiat India has been doing the right things these days. The following according to me are the best.

1. JV with TATA. Some see it as a negative move by Fiat. But I do see it as a positive move since they have a long positive alliance between TATA & Fiat Group. It also gives Fiat, the opportunity to rebuild confidence and also assess the A.S.S requirements by closely working with a local player.

2. Which was the first car in this segment in India to come with ABS/Airbags? It was a Fiat Palio (I beleive I am right with my stats here). The most powerful and well built hatch has always been the Fiat. But it was never welcomed in our market since people are more concerned about FE and our indian mentality expects more than what the global market would expect. Now the Fiat has pitched in the right type of cars. The Punto & Linea, both give amazing FE. I have constantly read owners reporting between 19KMPL to 21KMPL for the Diesel. Which is good enought, right?

3. Offering all these cars at an affordable price. Fiat has done it. But then affordability comes with localisation and localisation always takes a hit on few things. And I am sure the compromise is not made on the safety/ride of the Punto. But the rigidity of the Punto is felt just like the European models.

Finally, Sawyer - Please share your intention on starting this thread!

If not lets leave it to the mods to find the right section and move this!
Old 13th July 2009, 10:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

OMG, another thread which comes to a conclusion of FIAT being FIAT will never learn and so SOMEBODY or the other do not see any logic in buying FIATs. Great going ! And almost the same people bashing FIAT on every FIAT thread.
Old 13th July 2009, 10:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
2. Which was the first car in this segment in India to come with ABS/Airbags? It was a Fiat Palio (I beleive I am right with my stats here). The most powerful and well built hatch has always been the Fiat. But it was never welcomed in our market since people are more concerned about FE and our indian mentality expects more than what the global market would expect. Now the Fiat has pitched in the right type of cars. The Punto & Linea, both give amazing FE. I have constantly read owners reporting between 19KMPL to 21KMPL for the Diesel. Which is good enought, right?
This is a fact that many like to conveniently ignore. In every other thread, there is so much hoo-ha about safety and ABS, Airbags etc. But when it comes to Fiat, no one likes to mention it. Just take a look at any Fiat in an accident and you'll know what anachronix and me are trying to say. Also talk to the occupants (they'll be alive, concious and able to talk) about their experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
3. Offering all these cars at an affordable price. Fiat has done it. But then affordability comes with localisation and localisation always takes a hit on few things. And I am sure the compromise is not made on the safety/ride of the Punto. But the rigidity of the Punto is felt just like the European models.
Again there is a lot of hoo-ha about the quality of Fiat & Tata products. I have a Palio (130K Km), Petra (74K Km) and an Alto (1K Km). The Fiats are without a single rattle. Even my old Uno (110K Km) was the same. The Alto started rattling on the 2nd day itself. Now coming to the Punto, the quality is not as bad as made out to be. I feel that for the price the quality is good. People rave about the quality of the Jazz. But how many are willing to pay the price.

No one is forcing anyone to buy a Fiat or Tata. Just be happy with whatever car you buy. If Maruti gives you excellent, build quality, power, handling, FE and safety, go ahead and buy it. If Honda is excellent VFM, go ahead and buy it. Then start a thread about the ownership experience.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:14   #80
BHPian

FIAT has made mistakes in the past and their past track record has been pathetic. But do we need a thread to dicuss the past issues and speculate on the FIAT's future? IMHO this thread is more of a speculation rather than being based on facts. We will be better off discussing on the current products in the market and the future plan of Auto companies based on just plain facts.

Last edited by cruiser_1982 : 13th July 2009 at 11:18.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:45   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I think whatever had to be said has been said already (over 6 pages). This topic is closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed