Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 22:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

EuroNCAP or not Nano's anyday anytime safer than a family of 4 on a motorbike. Thats the segment they planned to target.

As regards modifying the car to meet EuroNCAP, well its their norms, and Tata will sell the modified version there, so European market cars will always pass the test.

Its the same with other companies as well, even Mercs and Beemers have bumpers etc modified to satisfy the safety norms of different countries. Whats the big deal?

So lets congratulate the little Nano, its quite a feat for the worlds cheapest car. Kudos.
Old 15th July 2009, 00:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
What people are cribbing about is why can't we get this particular Nano in India. Since its very easy (read cheap) to modify the Indian nano to meet this particular safety requirement (according to people here) unlike Jap cars, we should get this.
All we know is that "sources" quote that the Nano Europa is not for India. First, the Nano Europa is still 2-3 years in the making, so why jump into conclusions now? Let's wait for its launch and then crib in 2012, if it is not sold here.

Quote:
Necessity is the mother of all inventions. Tata knows it can't succeed building cars in other segments. This is not to criticize Tata. They can also be radical in providing better options on Nano which will only increase the sales. i would buy one with this improved safety and airbags (after all it would cost not more than 10000)
I guess you still haven't read about what Tata is capable of. Please read through the next line of Tata probables. The Dzire/Logan competitor is about to be released. The Innova/Xylo competitor is almost ready for launch.

The most exciting would definitely be the Pininfarina designed Prima.

So Tata is definitely into every segment possible from the Nano, the Vista, the Vista sedan, the Indicruz to the luxury range of the Jaguar / LR brand. Remember they are Tata now.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
This test that they did was done in front of journalists from automotive industry. And if you would kindly read the heading of this post, you would see that they did "ECE-R 12 specification" test.

You see, the worlds cheapest car straight out of Indian factory with modification of ~18kg is capable of achieving EuroNCAP 4 start rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
+1 to that. I think the article is quite clear about the fact that the Nano was tested at MIRA. Why should the EuroNCAP site be updated?
Friends, you are getting me wrong. I appreciate that Nano has these safety levels with modifications, that is a known fact, but how this helps us Indians ? That is my single question. Will Nano be available in India with these modifications ?
How are these test results applicable to Indian version ? Whether Kei cars get this rating or not is a different thing as this car has achieved rating with modifications that are not just limited to bumpers, but the weight of body in white increased by 18kg. So the additional members have played a good role in increasing the rating.

Rather than appreciating Nano for safety rating, lets wait for test results for the Indian production version. This will clear picture.

MIRA ( official website : MIRA Ltd - Providers of Automotive Design, Engineering, Testing and Certification Services ) might have tested this car, but it was tested at 56 kmph i.e .35 mph. EuroNCAP does this test at 40 mph i.e. 64 kmph. That is higher speed that what MIRA has tested. So I doubt that 4 star rating is as per EuroNCAP's standards.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
but they are due to be adopted in India in three years’ time.
Better late than never! Probably Tata has their own reasons for delaying it. Some of you can enlighten the rest of us.

Last edited by Abes : 15th July 2009 at 10:32.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant engineering job by Tata . I just hope they improve on their core competency to emerge out as a synonym for that quality with the brand Tata . Like safety - Volvo , comfort - Mercedes , Driving experience - BMW .
Old 15th July 2009, 12:21   #36
BANNED

Brilliant. I am sure some if not all the features will ultimately show up in Nano India.

One more nail in the coffin of the nay sayers!
Old 15th July 2009, 16:54   #37
BHPian

Those that are nitpicking that the Nano that was crash-tested is not the same as the base version sold in India are missing the point. The fact is that most of the cars sold in India lack the safety features of their European counterparts.

Unless you buy a Merc or BMW, most of the cars sold here (with some exceptions like i20 top end model) have no/two airbags vs 6 in UK. It is a horses for courses approach.

The main point is that the Nano has been subject to a lot of malicious rumors and baseless ridicule, for example that it is glued together, and it is the most unsafe car imaginable.

When they first heard of the Nano, most of the arrogant western commentators said it was impossible to make a real car for that price.

Then it was introduced at the auto show and the price was declared, they then said that it was just a stripped down car that would be horrible to sit in and pathetic to drive.

Then the car was introduced for sale and people got to road test it, and they were shocked that it was a real car, could seat 6ft tall people comfortable and was pretty decent to drive.

So they took comfort in the fact that the car was unsafe and 'not fit' for western roads.

What this test does is give those people a slap in the face and shut them up. As Gandhiji said "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

The Nano sold here meets Indian safety regulations, and for a price can meet European ones. That is all I need to know.

I am not advocating chauvinism or blind support to Indian brands (as that can be counterproductive just like it has been for Ford/GM) however I do feel that a lot of Indian people are themselves very harsh on Indian companies like Mahindra or Tata while similar things from Maruti or Hyundai are easily justified or excused. Perhaps centuries of being ruled by foreigners has subconsciously imprinted on our psyche that imported is automatically better, and we seem to be also a bit uncomfortable with Indian entities asserting themselves and claiming their rightful place in the world, it might take a couple of more generations to get rid of it.

Last edited by chncar : 15th July 2009 at 17:11.
Old 15th July 2009, 18:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Here's the video of the test.

Autocar Videos - Autocar.co.uk
Old 15th July 2009, 18:28   #39
BHPian

Hip Hip Hurrah, if anybody thinks i'm exaggerating, Well we are not perfect but we are bettering ourselves with the mumbling bumbling battlers
Old 15th July 2009, 18:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
And there is another story that the first batch has shipped - (errr. lorried) to Hyderabad.
I think they are sent by rail, not by road.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:13   #41
BHPian

Complete Picture of Tata Nano crash test.

As many TeamBHPians have been speculating why Tata Motors crash tested this car. Was this a PR stunt, why aren't we getting this car etc etc.

First watch the crash test video.

Now look at the pictures.

Now read the complete story :-
Quote:
Tata puts Nano through EC test regime to prove safety

14 July 2009 Tata Motors’ cheap Indian-built car, the Nano, has passed its first basic European structural safety tests and is on course for a European version to be available by 2012.

Crash tested nano: it passed 56 km/h offset frontal test

Tata engineers brought two modified Nanos to the UK test house MIRA this month to put them through a 50 km/h side impact test and a 56 km/h offset frontal impact test. The two tests are the minimum required for a legal vehicle in Europe and will become the Indian structural safety standard in 2012.

Tata engineering chief Clive Hickman said the aim of the tests was to show that with basic modifications the present car could meet the existing safety regulations and to set the vehicle on course for a European version to be ready by 2012. “The basic car was never designed to come to Europe,” he said.

The car tested at MIRA had extra foam added to the cant rail, a reinforced front longitudinal structure, and some added structure both behind the front bumper and in the front doors. The modifications were made on the body-in-white line at the Nano’s temporary factory in India.

Frontal ioffset test oproved 56 km/h crash is survivable

The tests were certified by Nic Fasci, type approval engineer working for the UK government’s Vehicle Certification Agency. After the frontal crash, Fasci said: “It looks no different from other cars doing this test. It’s a good crash.”

Therefore, this test was NOT conducted on the European model, this was not a PR stunt. They did this because this test will become regulatory requirement in India by 2012. Again this was done on our Desi Nano.

Old 16th July 2009, 00:03   #42
BHPian

Congratulations TATA. You proved many wrong !! Now improve your ***, introduce airbags in your current line up and hurry up and launch the new models !!
Old 16th July 2009, 08:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Brilliant engineering job by Tata . I just hope they improve on their core competency to emerge out as a synonym for that quality with the brand Tata . Like safety - Volvo , comfort - Mercedes , Driving experience - BMW .
Tata already has a synonym for their brand. VFM - Value for money. Now, with the Nano, the whole world agrees.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano passes first European crash tests

Here at WorldCarFans, we'll use any excuse to show things get "blow'd up real good" (to quote John Candy's "Billy Sol Hurok"). Thus, we bring you this short video of a Tata Nano launched against an obstacle during crash testing.

Two modified versions of the tiny car were used in these tests in the UK, showing the potential for a Euro-spec version of the vehicle. Although the company acknowledges that an unmodified version of the Nano would not be able to pass the tests, the company's head of engineering, Clive Hickman, said, "The basic car was never designed to come to Europe."

The test vehicles were crashed in a 50 km/h side impact collission, and a 56 km/h offset frontal impact test. Factory installed modifications included additional foam at the cant rail, reinforcements across the length of the body, and more girth built into the front bumper and two front doors.

Test examiner Nic Fasci said, "It looks no different from other cars doing this test. It’s a good crash." Fasci works with the Vehicle Certification Agency in the United Kingdom.

Passing these tests are the first step in bringing the Tata Nano to European shores by 2012. These same standards will eventually be enforced by the Indian government. A North American version is also a possibility. Future versions of the Nano could include standard airbags, and increases to the length and width to accommodate the modifications.'

Big thanks to our main man Darren at teamspeed.com for the tip!

Source: worldcarfans.com

Video:

Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano Crash Tested on July 10, in Birmingham. Passed ECE-R 12 specification-6566695.jpg  

Tata Nano Crash Tested on July 10, in Birmingham. Passed ECE-R 12 specification-9218168.jpg  

Old 16th July 2009, 14:57   #45
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

We can only appreciate this iniciative from TATA.

I strongly feel that this is a safer, more spacious car than the 800 and Alto (after sitting in all 3). Though would not like to apply for the job of a crash dummy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks