Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 19:11   #1
BHPian

Tata Nano Crash Tested on July 10, in Birmingham. Passed ECE-R 12 specification

Crash Test Tata Nano - Affordable Yes! And Safe?

2009-07-13 - A four-seater car for less than 2000 Euro? That will not meet standard safety regulations - could be an opinion. That this is not the whole truth, Tata proved with a crash test on Mira's testing facility on July 10, in Birmingham.

With a length of 3.1 metres, width of 1.5 metres and height of 1.6 metres, the Tata Nano has the smallest exterior footprint of all cars in India but is 21 percent more spacious than the smallest car available today in the country. Its 625 ccm 2-cylinder gasoline engine, designed by FEV in Aachen (Germany), develops 36 horsepower, around 29 kilowatts. And despite its low price and compactness, the Nano meets all of the regulated safety legislation for the Indian market: A full frontal impact into a solid barrier at 48 kilometres per hour, the so called ECE-R 12 specification, a static door crush test and the roof crush test.

Rest of the article can read at source, provided above...
Old 13th July 2009, 20:11   #2
BHPian

Thats good for Nano.

Good for India...NA NO

I see that the Airbag as addition. Why India does not get this version?

Or is that only promise we will get?
Old 13th July 2009, 20:25   #3
BHPian

that is refreshing news after all.im sure nano would be getting the airbags if it was mandatory for all cars..so i don't see a question of why the nano doesn't have it!!
Old 13th July 2009, 20:42   #4
BANNED

Just as I was looking to post a link from the econ. times here. And there is another story that the first batch has shipped - (errr. lorried) to Hyderabad.

Way to go, Tatas!!!!

Now what will be criticize the Nano for?
Old 13th July 2009, 21:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Was this Nano re-inforced or was it stock like its sold in India?

For most small cars adding a buffer in the front with re-inforcement will increase the safety in frontal crash. One of the reasons cars are getting longer in the nose without adding space inside.
Old 13th July 2009, 21:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Good news for Tata,but the question remains to be answered is ,how safe indian Nano will be?Only thing clear is it will be much safer compared to Maruti 800.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:05   #7
BHPian

Great for Tata, good work !!!
But is this tested Nano is the Indian version or Europa version ???
Old 13th July 2009, 22:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

good work tata! Thy engineering abilities are re affirmed.. hope it helps Tata motors turn around in the next year..
Old 13th July 2009, 23:21   #9
BHPian

That is good news indeed. European version with all the safety features will come to India sooner or later. I am eagerly waiting for the Nano EV.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
That is good news indeed. European version with all the safety features will come to India sooner or later. I am eagerly waiting for the Nano EV.
How much would that cost? If its in Alto territory, I doubt if there'll be any takers.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
How much would that cost? If its in Alto territory, I doubt if there'll be any takers.
We will have to wait and see. If it is priced in about 2 - 2.5 lacs (in around or little above M800) I think, it would sell a lot.
Old 14th July 2009, 00:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
[Have you seen Nano Europa ?]

If not, then take a look :-

I would pick a Tata Nano Europa over an Allto any day.
Old 14th July 2009, 01:14   #13
BHPian

I wonder where they came up with the figure of 21% more spacious than the smallest car available in the company.

Looks like all the headroom in the nano as compared to the 800 is where most of the 21% is coming from.

Hell, if we started measuring the space in a car by the volume of air inside it(as seems to be the case here) instead of focusing on real world parameters like legroom and shoulder room, every convertible in the world would have egggjaactly INFINITE PERCENT more space than the nano.

BEAT THAT

Back to topic:

This is a quote from the source:

To be strong enough for this demanding impact, the Nano has been equipped with an additional airbag. Further Hickman´s engineers reinforced the front longitudinal structure and added a structure to the front of the vehicle behind the bumper and on the firewall. Another structure is added to the front doors. All of these enhancements are added to the Body-in-White (BIW) on the assembly line for the base vehicle and add 18 kilograms weight to the BIW.

Is this a joke? First time ever that I've heard of a car being modified before being sent in for a safety test.

Adding reinforcements? To the FRONT AND THE SIDES? Hello TATA!

At a time that most cars are offering AIRBAGS and ABS as an optional extra, are you going to introduce REINFORCED DOORS AND ENGINE COMPARTMENT AS AN OPTION ??

Old 14th July 2009, 06:11   #14
BHPian

Am glad to see this car passing the crash test. This is a very good milestone for the car and Tata Motors. This would clear all the apprehensions in the European markets and am sure when they start selling the car abroad, they will have lot of takers.

Airbags in India, sure we can get them provided we pay for them. Isn't it.
Old 14th July 2009, 06:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Desi nano owners cannot expect a safer built nano? may be they will include the new crash tested nano with a second launch somewhere 2010.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks