Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which cheapest car is your choice?
Maruti 800 DX 162 45.51%
Tata Nano LX 194 54.49%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2009, 22:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

i think we should all experience the nano then vote here.
According to me 800 is king. It is what initiated the motoring boom in india.
it obviously is tried and tested for decades and decades.. +bullet proof reliability and Japanese heritage.Lets see how the tatas match up to that. They made a mess of the safari. only the Indica/go vista etc are keeping them alive in the passenger car segment.
Lets wait and watch how much of the cost cutting on the car is faced as expenses by the owners
The Reason why nano is leading the polls here because of the feel good made in india by indians(mostly) factor.
Iam not so much concerned with Mr Tata's statement of realizing an indian dream etc etc its nothing but mere marketing strategy.
well im hoping a test drive of a Nano(if i fit in one ) will shut me up for the moment.

Last edited by vinaydas : 19th July 2009 at 22:24.
Old 19th July 2009, 22:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

^^^ not an marketing strategy. people who know ratan tata will never agree to your point above. he is very social and has done a lots and lots for the society. he is not as rich as ambani for many reasons.
his heart had ached when he say a family of 4 riding a scooter. his instructions to the team was very straight forward. 1 lac car. a proper car for families of every indian.

its a product that everyone can admire, desire and own.

safaris sell all over the world, huge sales and profits are made by safari alone.

if you can fit in m800 you can stand in NANO.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 19th July 2009 at 22:38.
Old 19th July 2009, 23:22   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
1) he is very social and has done a lots and lots for the society. he is not as rich as ambani for many reasons.

2) his heart had ached when he say a family of 4 riding a scooter. his instructions to the team was very straight forward. 1 lac car. a proper car for families of every indian.

3) its a product that everyone can admire, desire and own.
1) Agreed. He might be social and doing more for society. But then bringing in Ambani brothers is not called for.

2) Agreed, his heart ached out when he saw this. So he ordered..Nice. Now many people are transported in busses that are made by Tata. They are basically truck chassis.
So why Ratan Tata is not ordering his engineers to come up with a real bus chassis that is cost effective and can in be used atleast as city busses ?

Ratan Tata is a nice human, no doubt, but we must not look at him like a hero.
He is a business man after all.

3) No not everyone.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 19th July 2009 at 23:23.
Old 19th July 2009, 23:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
2) Agreed, his heart ached out when he saw this. So he ordered..Nice. Now many people are transported in busses that are made by Tata. They are basically truck chassis.
So why Ratan Tata is not ordering his engineers to come up with a real bus chassis that is cost effective and can in be used atleast as city busses ?

I think the Marcopolo and Hispano Globus are built on Bus Chassis.

And for some Mr. Tata is a Hero.

Last edited by safari_lover : 19th July 2009 at 23:46.
Old 20th July 2009, 00:03   #65
BHPian

Voted Maruti 800.

Though the nano is relatively modern, its puny 2 cylinder engine is a deterrant.

If we have a Nano Europa ... yes will vote for that.
Old 20th July 2009, 00:07   #66
BHPian

My vote goes to M800. I cannot explain reason but if I have to spend my money on buying any one of these cars, I'll choose 800 with eyes closed.
Old 20th July 2009, 00:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Nano rocks baby !! I am even more thrilled because its the only Indian designed car that the whole world talks about in awe. Makes me smile with pride.

Maruti Udyog survived and thrived as a PSU that was protected by GOI from the competetion. There were several other K-cars that were even better.

Quote:
12) Agreed, his heart ached out when he saw this. So he ordered..Nice. Now many people are transported in busses that are made by Tata. They are basically truck chassis.
You think a bus chassis can survive this kind of treatment?? Not only that ..its more expensive to manufacture which means ticket prices will be high. Truck chassis is the right solution for mainstream India.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 VS Tata Nano!-ksrtc.jpg  

Old 20th July 2009, 00:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Nano is the choice.I see nano in future coming with diesel as well as better Gasoline Engined.M800 is `passe.(no offense!).
Old 20th July 2009, 03:50   #69
BHPian

I voted for nano because I am feeling very optimistic about it. I agree that Tata has lots of quality issues and but I beleive they have turned a corner with the indica vista and now nano. Not to forget, nano has been extensively tested with more test miles than any other car (at least from TATA stable).

I hope they have delivered a good package this time.
Old 20th July 2009, 06:29   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
^^^ not an marketing strategy. people who know ratan tata will never agree to your point above. he is very social and has done a lots and lots for the society. he is not as rich as ambani for many reasons.
his heart had ached when he say a family of 4 riding a scooter. his instructions to the team was very straight forward. 1 lac car. a proper car for families of every indian.

its a product that everyone can admire, desire and own.

safaris sell all over the world, huge sales and profits are made by safari alone.

if you can fit in m800 you can stand in NANO.
who said ill fit in an 800 im 6 1 and my knees get jammed while sitting in the rear seat.
Mr Tata's 1 lac dream cost 1.25 + in cities like bangalore and also this is an introductory price it will definitely increase.
Old 20th July 2009, 09:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
who said ill fit in an 800 im 6 1 and my knees get jammed while sitting in the rear seat.
Mr Tata's 1 lac dream cost 1.25 + in cities like bangalore and also this is an introductory price it will definitely increase.
I am 6'2" and I look like a cartoon in the backseat of the M800.

Tata's 1 lakh dream is still something that car makers from all over the world including Suzuki (the then cheapest car maker) scoffed at. Now the guys who swallowed their pride, shook hands with Tata for teaching them a valuable lesson. Those who couldn't, were left licking their wounds.

If this is infact an introductory price and even if it increases, I am sure it is still going to be way cheaper than a 30 year old model selling at twice the price.

P.S: I still have my dad's 1991 model M800 and I remember paying more then, than what I would pay for the Nano today.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:09   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Agreed. He might be social and doing more for society. But then bringing in Ambani brothers is not called for.

3) No not everyone.
it was just for giving an example to distinguish between 2 businessmen who work for society and who just do business. the same example was also given by a economist on some ndtv show too. Tatas are very much ethical. Jamshedji tata had brought a economic reform to india.

what do you mean basically they are truck chassis? who gave you this information? chassis meant for buses is different for that made for trucks.
Today many automobile manufacturers produce different models on same platform. people are very well travelling comfortably in TATA buses. they also provide FBV(fully built vehicles). all the corporate offices and mncs here in pune have provided tata buses for the travel of employees.
dont know whats the confussion in your mind.

a person who has limelighted the nations name all over the world is no less than HERO.
bajaj, maruti suzuki and all automobile manufacturer all over the world had commented what not on NANO, right from autorickshaw and no quality car and unsafe. Nano launch dropped their jaws apart and was a tight slap on their statements.
tata launched a proper car, better specs than 800, euro IV norms and safer car at half the price than the maruti 800.

and everyperson here is to earn and do business. the best thing about him is he does his part for the society too.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:28   #73
BANNED

I just happen to remember the Don quixote who used to blindly strike at the non existent windmills ..

When the Indica was launched people were so much euphoric about it .. People were talking about the car being cheap ..more mileage etc ..low price

But ,going by todays pricing and features the Indica seems expensive for the features , price , suspension , efficiency etc comparing it with a palio stile multijet .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 20th July 2009 at 11:35.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:44   #74
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

If it is going to be my only car, the most practical choice would be the proven Maruti 800. The second car could be the Nano.

The reason being that the Maruti 800 is built like an actual car. It was built keeping in mind a small car with a small price. The car has all the basic features which are necessary for a car. Not that the Nano is not a car. But I feel that the Nano was built to be the "cheapest" car and not the cheapest "car".
Old 29th December 2009, 21:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Guys now the replies were all berfore the car was launched but now since the car has been launched what do you think about it ?

1)Go for the Nano ?

2)Go for the 800 ?

I personally don't like the nano because of it looks.Its like a small little boxy car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks