Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which cheapest car is your choice?
Maruti 800 DX 162 45.51%
Tata Nano LX 194 54.49%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 12:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That is only till the market is flooded with the Nanos. Once the Nanos start competing for space with the autos, no one will want to give it a first glance.
Yeah, when a locality has only one pretty lady, everyone wants to get a glimpse of her ;but, if you work at the airport who cares!
Old 30th December 2009, 12:31   #92
BHPian

Lol

Quote:
That is only till the market is flooded with the Nanos. Once the Nanos start competing for space with the autos, no one will want to give it a first glance.
This person is a Maruti Loyalist. He will always support Maruti even if hell breaks loose.

The Tata Nano is the best Small Car I have ever sat in. I went and sat in it at the Showroom. The Quality of Plastics and general feel & roominess of the car is second to none in that segment.

Any car in the city has to compete with the Local Transport for space.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:32   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sir How can we say that a 800 is less safe ?Seing the nano making the headlines to many that is more unsafe than the 800.
Tata Nano crash test on video - Autocar.co.uk

Here you go! Proof that the Nano is safer. I am aware of the fire issues but those are initial issues that Tata can solve by the time the Nano hits the market in full force. Believe me, Tata will solve them too because the last thing they want is a label saying the Nano is unsafe. On the other hand, the 800's decade old bodyshell can't be changed to survive a crash test.

And I don't know what you mean by "Seing the nano making the headlines to many that is more unsafe than the 800."

The 800 has had a great run in our market. Now its time for it to relinquish the crown to the new kid in town!
Old 30th December 2009, 12:32   #94
BHPian

Chose not to vote.

Reason:
M800, though a proven car, is well past its prime and would be unfair to compare it with current gen cars.
Nano, though a new car, lot of innovation went into designing the Nano and looks better on paper, it still has to come out in large numbers and prove itself.

-Pallavi

Last edited by Pallavi : 30th December 2009 at 12:42.
Old 30th December 2009, 21:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The only reason why the 800 still sells in India while its been phased out in rest of the world is the poor crash test regulations in place in India, once the new laws come this car is to be phased out.
I would say the only reason the 800 still sells will be due to its affordability in terms of maintainance etc.In a two wheeler country like India,i doubt crash test regulations would have any affect on the buying decision of a person in the lower budget car market.

A more appropriate reason for stopping production of the 800 could be the fact the old 3 pot engine may not be able to meet newer and stricter emission norms.But still given a choice between the Nano and the 800 i would still go in for the Maruti as it will fair much better on the highway.
Old 31st December 2009, 02:20   #96
BHPian

Quote:
May be that's why no one is giving a first glance to M800 because it is currently competing with autos.

M800 has lived its course just like good old ambys and padminis. Time to move on.
Old 31st December 2009, 02:31   #97
BHPian

Nano is the new beginning, With all due respect for the 800, i think we have to let it go
Old 31st December 2009, 04:22   #98
BHPian

IMO the Nano is by all means a giant leap made as far as the Indian automobile industry is concerned and this is the same reason why I voted for the nano in the T-BHP COTY poll. But when you compare it with another car,the nano looks like an auto with 4-wheels and it actually sounds like one too.

If I am given a choice between an M800 and a nano I would probably choose the M800 plainly because-

1. it feels like a proper car and looks like one.
2. its speed is not limited like in a nano.
3. If the car develops any fault during a drive, I don't need to remove my rear seats for accessing the engine.
4. The M800 is any day a better highway car than the nano,its more planted.
5. The crash test nano is a modified one with airbags and god knows what else is changed so that they could pass the crash test. But I do accept that theoretically the nano is safer. But in the real world both will perform similarly.
Old 31st December 2009, 07:26   #99
Senior - BHPian

come on!!
anything that does speeds below 100 is not a car to me
i have driven the 800 and done speeds over 130 and the car felt very planted.
i dont think the nano can achieve that.
It seems people supporting the nano here are basically tata loyalists and one's with 800 are maruthi loyalists .

we need to let the nano run on our roads for 4-5 years then we can debate on its reliability.
for example take a china make cell phone initially it gives all features like dual sim,touch screen gps blah blah at a very cheap price.
but down the line within a year it goes kaput. Compared to the established phone makers like nokia sony etc which run for ages without any problems .
I had recently seen a nano loaded to the brim near my house and i noticed the chassis was bent and the two rear wheels were tilting away from each other.
that is another problem which may arise with the nano.

sorry to say this but companies like tata and mahindra use indian markets as testing grounds for their vehicles to identify faults and correct them and sell their vehicles in foreign markets.
why? simply because our markets are very forgiving .
if a few vehicles had major faults in them in the foreign markets . following that there will be massive lawsuits and eventually boycotting of the car.
Old 31st December 2009, 09:42   #100
BHPian

800..... anytime.

800 O W N S Nano
Old 31st December 2009, 10:02   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Chose not to vote.

Reason:
M800, though a proven car, is well past its prime and would be unfair to compare it with current gen cars.
Nano, though a new car, lot of innovation went into designing the Nano and looks better on paper, it still has to come out in large numbers and prove itself.

-Pallavi
and let the nano complete the mandatory leh laddakh route to prove itself and maybe atleast 50,000kms of Indian traffic and conditions
Old 31st December 2009, 10:14   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
and let the nano complete the mandatory leh laddakh route to prove itself and maybe atleast 50,000kms of Indian traffic and conditions
well kms alone wont decide how good or bad the nano is.
we have let it age and see how the body pannels ,engine performance,rattles etc show up.

4 years down the line if nano shows the normal sign of ageing which is visible in most modern cars without excess wear and tear then i will be impressed
Old 31st December 2009, 11:31   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
come on!!
anything that does speeds below 100 is not a car to me
Depends on who you ask bro. For some it is 100, for some it is 150, 200, etc. Also depends on where you drive and this is exactly where nano comes in. Nano comes with ample disclaimer about how it should be driven, so debating about what it can't is not worthwhile.

Quote:
i have driven the 800 and done speeds over 130 and the car felt very planted.
i dont think the nano can achieve that.
Agreed. Nano is not a replacement for 800. Likewise not everybody wants to drive at 130 or even 100 for that matter. Nano is good enough for those who want a car, but can only manage to afford a 2 wheeler.

Quote:
It seems people supporting the nano here are basically tata loyalists and one's with 800 are maruthi loyalists .
I find it funny that TATA have loyalists inspite of their checkered history in cars. I don't own a TATA car but IMO many people (including me) are those who want to see an indian manufacturer do well. In that respect hats off to TATA for taking the fight to the enemy camp by opening a new segment (read battleground). In this "do it if you can" battle, TATA is definitely ahead and seem to have a huge potential. Given some time they should do wonders with the Nano product line

Quote:
we need to let the nano run on our roads for 4-5 years then we can debate on its reliability.
Let me say this. Two years ago nobody believed TATA can build and sell anything with 4 wheels for 1 lakh. And TATA surprised a lot of people. I won't be surprised if you are surprised. But anyways, enough speculation already.

As per the rest of your comments, I completely agree. TATA, mahindra or whoever deserve all the flak for their bad products and disgruntled consumers. I only wish indian laws related to consumer rights were enforced
Old 31st December 2009, 11:38   #104
BHPian

It has to be Nano, why would you pay double the price for approx same stuff. no way!!
Old 31st December 2009, 11:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

800 is far more better car anyday and 800 is a legend which cannot be compared with cars like Nano. Nano has wheels smaller than auto rickshaw, i feel it can no where be stable in highway.

Most Viewed