Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which cheapest car is your choice?
Maruti 800 DX 162 45.51%
Tata Nano LX 194 54.49%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 17:42   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Well not the person i expected to answer, but will do.
Well, this is a public forum.
Quote:
Well i haven't been that comfortable doing triple digit speeds in an M800 myself and haven't seen it do those speeds quite often to be honest.
Even i am not, but when i am to decide between the Nano and the 800, it would be the 800. You have to be in one, to see it. The 800 can touch 100+ speeds from a standstill within a km, and can easily go till 120. That's what i have done. The MPFi 5 geared one recorded a true 141 kmph top speed FYI. ( I know it's no longer available, just for the record)

Quote:
The lack of glove box and a decent boot is a really a bad disadvantage i admit.
Ah, good.

Quote:
You save around 60K for the base priced Nano compared to the M800, imagine how a fraction of that amount can be spent to right the few wrongs you've mentioned.
I can't fabricate a custom made glove-box.

I can't do anything to increase the stability, (read lowering the car's height, increasing the wheelbase).

Same applies to the inaccessible boot. (Is it a boot really, as i heard it serves as an oven )

That said, i do agree that Nano is a revolution, and that it utilizes space to the max. The 1 lakh tag doesn't suit it either. A good effort, nonetheless by TATA.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 18th June 2010 at 17:48.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:06   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Even i am not, but when i am to decide between the Nano and the 800, it would be the 800. You have to be in one, to see it.
The 800 can touch 100+ speeds from a standstill within a km, and can easily go till 120. That's what i have done. The MPFi 5 geared one recorded a true 141 kmph top speed FYI. ( I know it's no longer available, just for the record)
Quote:
Even i am not, but when i am to decide between the Nano and the 800, it would be the 800.

I can't fabricate a custom made glove-box.

I can't do anything to increase the stability, (read lowering the car's height, increasing the wheelbase).

Same applies to the inaccessible boot. (Is it a boot really, as i heard it serves as an oven )
Everything boils down to personal choice and depends on the buyers needs.

141 huh?
Im not taking your word for it unless i find the right guy to verify.
Ive heard M800 being capable of upto 120.

I wouldn't be so sure about the glove box.
Give a car to a fabricator and he will do wonders with it.

Does it handle that badly?

I dint feel so. It may not be an Elise but its good enough for the price tag it sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This thread is about the 2 cars and I don't think it is wrong to point out pros and cons of either car. I did point out that Nano wins in space, looks of Euro-Nano is better than M800, FE is good etc etc. What do you want me to say ? That Nano is the best ?

And coming to features, the only points I disputed were safety and adhesives. Regarding adhesives, while we could take it as an innovation, that does not take away anything from the conventional way. And unless welded cars are falling apart, what difference does it make to a car-buyer,

Nothing much except space. Infact, isn't it odd that a new player is lower on reliability, more prone to hazards like fire/smoke etc ? Unless the maker has not addressed the main factors that make a car a car, what is the use of bonding with adhesives or staples ?
All i wanted was a fair debate of the Pros and cons which was evidently not seen when i first started posting.

Adhesives take away a fair weight from the car and reduces the cost for the Manufacturer so isn't it better for a car buyer to have a cheaper and lighter car?
If you think otherwise, id say its ignorance.

Yeah i know ive been off topic and hence would like to come back to it. Thanks!

Im no expert about Safety norms and you are better off asking the person who answered to your queries a few threads back.

Hope i dont have to reply again.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:14   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post

141 huh?
Yep, if your eyes read right!

Quote:
Im not taking your word for it unless i find the right guy to verify.
Ive heard M800 being capable of upto 120.
Shows your ignorance. Maruti introduced a 5 speed, 4 valves per cylinder, MPFI model, which did 140 kmph plus. Sad that your knowledge on that is glaring enough.

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about the glove box.
Give a car to a fabricator and he will do wonders with it.
Show us some of those wonders, if any.

Quote:

Hope i dont have to reply again.
You are free not to!

Here's some history on the 800. And for the ignorant, the 140 kmph thingy is mentioned in here too.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/m...-tribute-3703/

Last edited by DRIV3R : 18th June 2010 at 18:18. Reason: Adding a link
Old 18th June 2010, 18:33   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, if your eyes read right!

Shows your ignorance. Maruti introduced a 5 speed, 4 valves per cylinder, MPFI model, which did 140 kmph plus. Sad that your knowledge on that is glaring enough.

Show us some of those wonders, if any.

You are free not to!

Here's some history on the 800. And for the ignorant, the 140 kmph thingy is mentioned in here too.

Maruti 800 Story: History & Evolution of the Top Selling Small Car | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

My eyes are fine, thank you!

Yup i am ignorant on that front.
Ive been in an M800 5 Speed but it wasn't driven by someone who was a fast driver and hence dint see that speed.

Went through the link you posted and the following lines caught my attention.

This added power gave the Maruti 800 enough punch to speed past the 140 Kmph maximum mark on it’s speedo, a feat that isn’t usually managed by most save for a few high performance supercars.

That said everything about the article.

But i still dont deny the fact it did achieve this speed all right.

Regarding the wonders, you can browse for them right here in team-bhp, you will find at least a few good examples.

Thanks for reminding me time and again for what im free to do mate.
Appreciate it.

Catch you on another thread and hope its as involving as this.

Last edited by Grafin : 18th June 2010 at 18:34.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:50   #245
BHPian

Lets not discuss about triple digit speed of both the cars here, these are VFM small cars not at all made for high speed. So discussing speed and fabrication stuff is useless.

I agree with the "completeness" thing hemanth.anand said. For we users a complete car is still a four wheel that looks like wheels of a car not some toy and a water cooled engine in front that sound like a car engine (nano sounds like tempo). Nano fails both. It has a wheel that looks like a toy wheel. This is both safety wise and look wise not good. Also the air cooled engine may not give long service, I am sure the nano engine cannot last as long as 800 engine does. We still see 80's period 800 running fine without engine opening. This is something needed for VFM market car.

Look wise Nano wins, it certainly look more modern than 800. Looking at the market which buys these cars, people who want new generation car will buy nano and those who don't care much on looks and want a car that will serve them for long will buy 800. Selected few's are buying not for any serious use just because of its popularity and for getting noticed on road. We still have to know how Nano is doing at roads, what at their maintenance, and how many KM's the engine last and after how many KM's the body starts to give up and start making noises.

If nano fails to prove itself, people will miss 800 even more or just buy second hand cars for the budget of new nano / 800

The mentality part [not my opinion but general public] -
One who owns a 800 - Oh they have a car!
One who owns Nano - Poor chap

P.S. : content above can be a bitter truth

Last edited by Hashim : 18th June 2010 at 18:56.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:51   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

The 5-Speed 800 was surely capable of reaching speeds upto 140kph but the braking performance even at 80kph is scary, the knowledge of the fact that it has the poor structural safety with no crumple zone and paper thick pillars makes the experience even more scary.

We have a 800 AC mpfi as a spare car.
Old 18th June 2010, 22:37   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post

Not true, a lot of moderately rich people are buying nano's just for the image because of the hype surrounding it.
I once saw a woman being chauffeured around in a Nano.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:25   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with the "completeness" thing hemanth.anand said. For we users a complete car is still a four wheel that looks like wheels of a car not some toy and a water cooled engine in front that sound like a car engine (nano sounds like tempo). Nano fails both. It has a wheel that looks like a toy wheel. This is both safety wise and look wise not good.
You know it sometimes just makes sense to think before posting. For example, if your part of the world "we", would consider the Beetle to be a toy (not to mention the Porche's). I would also like to know how the wheels are not safe, looks are a personal opinion I can agree with, but how can you claim that it is not safe? This brouhaha about the Nano sounding like a tempo, is over the top too.

Quote:

P.S. : content above can be a bitter truth
Quite contrived I must say. This is beginning to get quite funny, I hope that these arguments against the Nano doesn't reach a stage where people start saying that Tata actually doesn't want people to buy the car, that's why they called it the NaNo (Na = Hindi for No, No = No).
Old 18th June 2010, 23:57   #249
BHPian

Beetle, Porche are totally different cars from different country we (again we) are discussing here our own country's two small size value for money cars and 800 being successful and older than Nano will always be used as a scale to compare any other car in its category. Benchmark in other words.

My ears can't be wrong I see some nanos here in my university and they do sound similar to those bajaj tempos.

Small and thin wheels will definitely not provide a good braking and road grip, hence not safe.
Old 19th June 2010, 03:23   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Beetle, Porche are totally different cars from different country we (again we) are discussing here our own country's two small size value for money cars and 800 being successful and older than Nano will always be used as a scale to compare any other car in its category. Benchmark in other words.

My ears can't be wrong I see some nanos here in my university and they do sound similar to those bajaj tempos.

Small and thin wheels will definitely not provide a good braking and road grip, hence not safe.
Small and thin wheels? - definitely not when compared to m800. Nano has a 12 inch wheel same as the m800. But just that the two front wheels have the section width 10mm less than the m800. However the rear wheels are bigger than m800.

After braking, the size of tires don't matter. There are numerous other factors like the type of Braking system (ABS/Disc, drum combination/Disc/ etc.), weight of the vehicle, the amount of tread and condition of tire, etc.

Please restrain from posting fiction.
Old 19th June 2010, 13:06   #251
BHPian

i have a 800 mpfi 5 speed and have touched 150+ on the chennai bangalore highway. the nano some how just does not feel like a car. it feels like an adjustment. but given a choice between a brand new nano and a second hand 800 my choice will be the 800 ANYDAY
Old 19th June 2010, 13:12   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
My vote is for the nano over the 800. The 800 is a deathtrap and is way beyond it's sell by date aesthetically and technologically. The nano is ugly but beautiful and ugly both attract equal attention, like Good and Evil, so it's not a bad thing. Atleast , the nano is a technologically current product and i'm sure once the teething problems are sorted out, will be around for a while.
aargh nick this after you drove in my 800 on track? think about doin that in a nano
Old 19th June 2010, 17:11   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

For people who want proof on 800's speeds...please see below.
Points to be noted:
This is not "photoshop"ed.
I was driving at this speed for a considerable distance.
It was not a down hill.
It was normal petrol-not high octane petrol.
I have touched 140kph consistently many times on the highway.(I'll post it after i get it from my friend's camera if need be)
I have experience of driving at over 200kph on German roads with a passat and 800 was not handling any different at that speed.(but the braking confidence is obviously low)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 VS Tata Nano!-100_1537.jpg  

Old 19th June 2010, 18:31   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
This brouhaha about the Nano sounding like a tempo, is over the top too.
I dont think he telling Nano sounds like a tempo is over the top. He had been kind enough. I think its doest not sound any better than Bajaj Auto Rickshaw. Sound wise 800 wins hands down.

Look wise Nano looks like an toy car, and back seats looks like benches.
Old 19th June 2010, 18:51   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I have experience of driving at over 200kph on German roads with a passat and 800 was not handling any different at that speed.(but the braking confidence is obviously low)
That's a bummer for VW.
By the way, driving the 800 at 140 kmph is foolhardy, especially when you acknowledge the fact that the brakes aren't effective at those speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks