Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which cheapest car is your choice?
Maruti 800 DX 162 45.51%
Tata Nano LX 194 54.49%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 18:54   #256
Senior - BHPian

For those who doubt Nano's Capability.

PicCourtesy -SanjayM@Bcmtouring.com.
Nano Himalayan Expedition - Page 7 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 VS Tata Nano!-who20need204x420on20this20terrain___not20us.jpg  

Old 19th June 2010, 19:02   #257
Senior - BHPian

Con guys, i have said it many times, everyone have their choices and preferences. So some might prefer nano and some might prefer M800, Please respect each other decision and move on .
Old 19th June 2010, 19:10   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
For people who want proof on 800's speeds...please see below.
Points to be noted:
This is not "photoshop"ed.
I was driving at this speed for a considerable distance.
It was not a down hill.
It was normal petrol-not high octane petrol.
I have touched 140kph consistently many times on the highway.(I'll post it after i get it from my friend's camera if need be)
I have experience of driving at over 200kph on German roads with a passat and 800 was not handling any different at that speed.(but the braking confidence is obviously low)
The car we were talking about was 5 speed 12v Maruti 800, which could actually touch 140kph and that is close to 150-160 in speedo. The Current 800 can touch 140kph just in the speedo, remember speedometers over read upto 10% error.

Leave alone the Passat, the 800 starts feeling scary after 80kph to anyone used to driving hatchbacks like Swift and Punto. It is not at all advisable to try speed runs in 800, given the poor braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
That's a bummer for VW.
By the way, driving the 800 at 140 kmph is foolhardy, especially when you acknowledge the fact that the brakes aren't effective at those speeds.
I agree with you here, i have explained the reason in the reply above.

For Information, 800 might be the only passenger car sold in India with non-Hydraulically servo'd brakes, In simple language it does not come with Power brakes, You will have to rely on your own foot power to bring the car to halt. (I am not sure about the specifications of the Nano)

P.S Please do not take me wrong, 800 is a good VFM car but it lacks safety and i do not agree with anyone who says 800 at 140kph is a as stable as Passat at 200kph.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th June 2010 at 19:12.
Old 19th June 2010, 21:58   #259
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
For people who want proof on 800's speeds...please see below.
Points to be noted:
This is not "photoshop"ed.
I was driving at this speed for a considerable distance.
It was not a down hill.
It was normal petrol-not high octane petrol.
I have touched 140kph consistently many times on the highway.(I'll post it after i get it from my friend's camera if need be)
I have experience of driving at over 200kph on German roads with a passat and 800 was not handling any different at that speed.(but the braking confidence is obviously low)
LOL. Our friend here is talking of "completeness" I think. We have both(MCR & hemanth.anand) driven Nano quiet extensively, and together.It always has been a debate with me supporting Nano and hemanth.anand pitching in for M800.
I have voted for Nano considering the ease of driving around in the city and the attention it gets on the roads.
Considering the highway capability of Nano, the threads by Sam kapasi and svsanthosh are good examples.

Last edited by MCR : 19th June 2010 at 22:00.
Old 19th June 2010, 22:31   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I dont think he telling Nano sounds like a tempo is over the top. He had been kind enough. I think its doest not sound any better than Bajaj Auto Rickshaw. Sound wise 800 wins hands down.

Look wise Nano looks like an toy car, and back seats looks like benches.
The back seat might look like a bench, but in reality the legroom and comfort offered by them are way better than the M800's. In fact, ACI had compared it with that of a C-class!!!
Old 19th June 2010, 22:37   #261
Senior - BHPian

800 regardless of the safety , it can touch speeds of up to 140 with ease.
about reliabitly there are plenty of 20 + year old SS80's Running still running on stock condition.
I highly doubt any Tata can withstand the test of time as the japs do.
Highway driving speaking practically is not feasible on the nano
for
1) Low top speed/cruising ability
2) limited range(do not make assumptions such as we can have multiple fuel fillings in one trip as take me for example , who does a lot of night driving and finding Bunks at 1am in the morning is an issue. So i generally Topup around 9 pm at my source and can easily reach my Destination in a full tank.)
3)safety well, 800 also loses up on this a bit.
4) Highways=long distance travel=Luggage and the only luggage you can carry in the Nano is your wallet.
5) service : Tata after sales is a joke.
So conclusion
6)Reliability : Having a blown fuse at 2pm in the night in Middle of Bandipur forest(i know its closed during the night so speaking hypothetically) is not something i can live with. But few years down the line with all the Customer R&D (which is usually what tata does, leaving the testing phase to the first batch of customers) i think this may be solved.
7) Exhaust Note, as mentioned by few the exhaust note on the Nano can be compared to an Auto which is highly degrading, where as the 800 , I have seen 800's with FFE setups which can put some 50 + lac car's exhaust notes to shame
Nano is a City Car for your small visits to the work place, Mall ,Theaters etc.
800 is a Far better family car who have to do a Highway trips etc.

Last edited by vinaydas : 19th June 2010 at 22:41.
Old 20th June 2010, 09:41   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
By the way, driving the 800 at 140 kmph is foolhardy, especially when you acknowledge the fact that the brakes aren't effective at those speeds.
but such speeds are only achieved when you have ample road visibility..Till now I achieved such speeds only on the NICE PRR in B'lore and NH7. My photo was just a proof for people who said M800 isn't capable of 120+ speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Con guys, i have said it many times, everyone have their choices and preferences. So some might prefer nano and some might prefer M800, Please respect each other decision and move on .
Well said Rahulkool, We should accept facts related to both cars and debate or else this will never end

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
800 regardless of the safety , it can touch speeds of up to 140 with ease.
about reliabitly there are plenty of 20 + year old SS80's Running still running on stock condition.
for
2) limited range(do not make assumptions such as we can have multiple fuel fillings in one trip as take me for example , who does a lot of night driving and finding Bunks at 1am in the morning is an issue. So i generally Topup around 9 pm at my source and can easily reach my Destination in a full tank.)
4) Highways=long distance travel=Luggage and the only luggage you can carry in the Nano is your wallet.
So conclusion
6)Reliability : Having a blown fuse at 2pm in the night in Middle of Bandipur forest(i know its closed during the night so speaking hypothetically) is not something i can live with. But few years down the line with all the Customer R&D (which is usually what tata does, leaving the testing phase to the first batch of customers) i think this may be solved.
7) Exhaust Note, as mentioned by few the exhaust note on the Nano can be compared to an Auto which is highly degrading, where as the 800 , I have seen 800's with FFE setups which can put some 50 + lac car's exhaust notes to shame
Nano is a City Car for your small visits to the work place, Mall ,Theaters etc.
800 is a Far better family car who have to do a Highway trips etc.
This is a nice summary by Vinaydas
Old 20th June 2010, 12:50   #263
Senior - BHPian

my replies are mentioned in bold

Quote:

This is your assumption. Let Nano complete 5+ years and then it will make sense to compare its reliability.

for

A cruising speed of 90 kmph is quite good enough on our highways. I would not even try above 100 kmph in 800 too. So both are at par.

2) limited range

A range of 600 kms is more than enough unless you wanna do really long highway trips. I wouldn't even dare to do long journeys in 800. It will be tiring, cramped, unsafe on highway.

4) Highways=long distance travel=Lugage and the only luggage you can carry in the Nano is your wallet.

If you see a recent trip done by Mr. Sanjay M from BCMTouring to LEH, you can read how much luggage they have carried on their trip to LEH. That should put your doubts to rest.

Not all TASS are the same. Not atleast this in Baroda and AMD. TATA too has wide spread network, so spare parts shouldn't be a problem and prices of spares would low too.

So conclusion
6)Reliability

Nano hasn't even completed even 2 years in market and you are talking about reliability? Isn't it too early?

Stock setup of exhaust note may not be good, if you bring in FFE, I guess Nano's too won't be far behind

Old 20th June 2010, 13:22   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is your assumption. Let Nano complete 5+ years and then it will make sense to compare its reliability.
He is talking about TATA in general and not Nano. So completing 2 years or not doesn't call for any difference in opinion.

Quote:
for

A cruising speed of 90 kmph is quite good enough on our highways. I would not even try above 100 kmph in 800 too. So both are at par.
I would not call the top speed, the cruising speed.

Quote:
2) limited range

A range of 600 kms is more than enough unless you wanna do really long highway trips. I wouldn't even dare to do long journeys in 800. It will be tiring, cramped, unsafe on highway.
How about the Nano?

Quote:
Compared to the Euro spec Nano, Yes. Indian Spec, not really.

Quote:
4) Highways=long distance travel=Lugage and the only luggage you can carry in the Nano is your wallet.

If you see a recent trip done by Mr. Sanjay M from BCMTouring to LEH, you can read how much luggage they have carried on their trip to LEH. That should put your doubts to rest.
Leave alone examples. The 800 is much easier to load. Period.

Quote:

Not all TASS are the same. Not atleast this in Baroda and AMD. TATA too has wide spread network, so spare parts shouldn't be a problem and prices of spares would low too.
Subjective. Maruti's USP is it's A.S.S by large, though there are exceptions.

Quote:
So conclusion
6)Reliability

Nano hasn't even completed even 2 years in market and you are talking about reliability? Isn't it too early?
No, it's not. TATA has a long way to go to establish itself as a reliable brand, though it is improving with every Beta test.

Quote:

Stock setup of exhaust note may not be good, if you bring in FFE, I guess Nano's too won't be far behind
LOL. FFE or not, it would still sound like an autorick. The exhaust note is not purely dependant on the exhaust alone.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 20th June 2010 at 13:24.
Old 20th June 2010, 13:31   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The 5-Speed 800 was surely capable of reaching speeds upto 140kph but the braking performance even at 80kph is scary, the knowledge of the fact that it has the poor structural safety with no crumple zone and paper thick pillars makes the experience even more scary.

We have a 800 AC mpfi as a spare car.
my father in law has that 5 speed 800 got it do drive on highways 2 times crossed 140 once but brakes scare **** out, after regularly driving NHC, santro and Uno before all with power assist brakes 800 brakes are like tractor, i must admit that if it had power brakes i would safely drive it at 80-100 on highways but with present setup it's even inadequate at 60kmps if fully loaded, i have to almost stand on brakes to stop it, it's done only 13k and is stationary most of time
Old 20th June 2010, 14:03   #266
BHPian

For space, Nano. But more importantly for reliablility and peace of mind, Maruti 800 anyday.
Old 20th June 2010, 15:09   #267
Senior - BHPian

My replies are mentioned in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
He is talking about TATA in general and not Nano. So completing 2 years or not doesn't call for any difference in opinion.

IIRC, we are talking about Nano in this thread. Let not bring other TATA vehicles in this thread. I was talking wrt nano.

The only reason is said this was because of Vinay comparing reliability of 25 year old with a year old car.

I would not call the top speed, the cruising speed.

That's what i said, the cruising speed. I wouldn't even try driving both these cars at their top speed. How many 800's do you see going 120+ all the time? Hardly. I had a 1992 m800, i use to do max of 105 kmph till 2006.

How about the Nano?

I was referring to Nano's capability actually. It was my bad, i wanted to say 330 kms for a tankful with optimistic 22 kmpl.

Compared to the Euro spec Nano, Yes. Indian Spec, not really.

Its not proven that Nano is as safe as 800 and neither its proven vice versa, so its just an assumption. Better not bring such assumptions here.

Leave alone examples. The 800 is much easier to load. Period.

A recent review of 330i here says, its difficult to load, would you still not buy it if given a chance?

Have you tried/know someone who did a long journey to be able to comment? I atleast know(2 in t-bhp and 1 in bcm) of three people who have done long journey and are quite comfortable.

Subjective. Maruti's USP is it's A.S.S by large, though there are exceptions.

I didn't deny Maruti's widespread network, i just made a comment on TATA's network. And i didn't even took away any credit from Maurti's USP. Did I?
No, it's not. TATA has a long way to go to establish itself as a reliable brand, though it is improving with every Beta test.

We have the cabs from TATA's running lakhs of kms. Good enough for me to believe Nano would do just as good if taken proper care.

LOL. FFE or not, it would still sound like an autorick. The exhaust note is not purely dependant on the exhaust alone.

That's entirely your opinion. I had be least bothered.
Old 20th June 2010, 15:45   #268
BHPian

This is very interesting indeed. Our bhpians are almost divided equally with respect to this poll!

I guess this is good news for TATA since once they clear the initial hurdles more people would opt for the nano. After a quick glance through the thread, reliability seems to be the main concern for our members. This am sure TATA will overcome once their production is in full swing.
Old 20th June 2010, 20:14   #269
Senior - BHPian

well there was a person who has driven through the Khardungla pass on a TVS 50, it doesn't mean that the vehicle was well suited for this terrain.
I have seen plenty of real world examples of people using 800 as a complete family car with frequent long distance trips doing distances in excess of 500km.

one thing i love about the Nano is the legroom. The 800's legroom is practically in existent , when i sit in one, my feet are almost touching the gearbox in front , well thats just me and there are plenty of shorter(slimmer?? ) people not having problems with the 800.
Old 20th June 2010, 22:27   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well there was a person who has driven through the Khardungla pass on a TVS 50, it doesn't mean that the vehicle was well suited for this terrain.
I have seen plenty of real world examples of people using 800 as a complete family car with frequent long distance trips doing distances in excess of 500km.
Correct. In fact the Nano has actually been designed for the city, I do not think it is wise to drive up mountains at great height. With rarefied air, the power is sure to drop as well.

I was thinking about this some more and I would now say that the Nano is much better as a city car (more space, smaller turning radius, more effective A/C judging by the reports) than the 800 and on the other hand, the 800 wins on the highway. A 800 cruising at 90kmph will be much more relaxed and unstressed than the Nano at that speed (this is speculation but with solid grounds to do so, because of the Nano's 105kmph top speed).

Most Viewed