Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 23:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Alto CNG with existing engine getting launched on 15th-16th at a premium of 40,000-45,000 over petrol.
Available in both LX and LXi model.
Swift petrol production temporarily stopped, only glam available and remaining stocks with dealers available.
Both Swift and Zen to get KB series engine by august-september.

MSIL seems to be following in the footsteps of Nokia by releasing a slew of products or enhancements within a few months. From new cars (Ritz, A-star, etc), to new engines (K-series) to new variants (LPG/CNG options, limited edition models, etc), MSIL seems to be tempting the customer these past few months. What an idea, sirji (Idea). Life's good (LG).
Old 15th July 2009, 00:38   #17
BHPian

Re: Is DZire also getting a new petrol heart?

Sid/others:
Is DZire also getting a new petrol engine from K-series? Will this be the same swift engine as it was before? Can someone please reply? I am planning to buy a Dzire pretty soon. Based on this, I will postpone the purchase accordingly.

Thanks in advance.
Mohandas.
Old 15th July 2009, 00:42   #18
BHPian

re:Is DZire also getting a new petrol engine

Sid/others:
Is DZire also getting a new petrol engine from K-series? Will this be the same swift engine as it was before? Can someone please reply? I am planning to buy a Dzire pretty soon. Based on this, I will postpone the purchase accordingly.

Thanks in advance.
Mohandas.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think I have more confusions :

1) Is Swift diesel production also stopped ?
2) Is Swift Dzire diesel production also stopped ?

I dont see any reason why the diesel versions are being stopped. Can you please clarify these things about swift production ?
Old 15th July 2009, 10:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
This is certainly a good news that all these models are getting some kind of upgrade.Going slightly off topic here... ......they'd want the more competent and wholesome cars like Alto Santro and Estillo to be discontinued. just baffles me....
Firstly the CNG version of the Alto was expected. I'm sure it will be more appealing to customers who do not worry about boot space but on the running cost of their vehicles, which strongly is the case for a prospective Alto buyer.

Secondly, this trend of continuing with older models by Maruti, Hyundai etc seems to be done for a reason. Im sure its after a good market survey that they have adopted this strategy. With the kind of sales figures Alto, Santro and Wagon R are doing, I don't see the point in discontinuing them. Personally I feel this gives more options to the indian consumer at a given price point. for eg. i20 CRDI caters to the premium hatchback segment whereas the Getz CRDI caters to the lower band and is allowed to battle with the likes of Swift DDIS and gang. Even if you are looking at the second hand market, you have more options than ever before to make your choice accordingly.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:21   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenrox View Post
. With the kind of sales figures Alto, Santro and Wagon R are doing, I don't see the point in discontinuing them. Personally I feel this gives more options to the indian consumer at a given price point.
But nothing is wrong in pulling the plug on an old model and giving a newer one at the same price. Many manufacturers do it. Instead of having the 800, Alto and the A-Star, we could have just the A-Star with 2 engine options and 3-4 trim levels to cater to all types of customers. The i10 already has this option, so the Santro can be discontinued and another trim level can be added to the i10 IRDE.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
The old model should be discontinue to make sell of new/modern car to the customer. For ex: M800 should be phased out becos it still use the old engine which does not have emission certified/ latest standard meet. Does MSIL is taking care of any thing ? Does they ever thought that they should give better emission controlled vehicle ? 15 yrs back just break was enough for safety but now ABS,AIR BAG .... things comes to safety feature. Its not only building your portfolio of car also need some feature to be added as time pass.
Otherway if you see the same SUZUKI keeps launching product in US market why not in India market ? OMNI van should be phased out becos its the most unsafe vehicle on the road. Any time can be toppled...
Lets not start a war, but at the end of the day, if people buy a product, and it is profitable for the manufacturer, why should they stop it because it is "better" to do so.

Who is it better for?

Coming to emmissions, the govt makes the regulations, and the car companies follow it. But there is no necessity to meet the regulations in 'advance'. Its as simple as that.

And certain safety features are, at the moment, not compulsary in India. If you feel they should be, lets petition the govt to enact new legislation. Not selectively expect a few companies to follow our line of thinking.
Personally, I am more concerned about the condition of some buses and lorries(taxis too), and the time restrictions placed on bus drivers than maruti selling an outdated car.

Yes, suzuki does not sell an outdated car in the US...but Skoda is selling the both generations of the Octavia in Europe. As they are doing here.
If there is a market for it whay shouldn't they?
Old 15th July 2009, 10:25   #23
BHPian

At this point, one can only speculate. Length of Dzire is more than 4000 mm. So it wouldn't qualify for lower excise duty with a 1.2 litre engine. Maruti Suzuki might plonk the 1.2 litre engine to meet BS IV emission norms to take effect from April 2010. The moot question: will the 1.2 litre engine be enough for Dzire that weighs 30 kg more than the Swift?

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Sid/others:

Thanks in advance.
Mohandas.

Last edited by pradkumar : 15th July 2009 at 10:27.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:11   #24
BANNED

Eventhough Maruti sells Diesel models very well, they may not be too much interested in it, because Suzuki's strength is in Petrol engines, and the Diesel engine they are using is from Fiat, by paying a premium.

Moreover, only 35% Swift sales is from Petrol models, but in the case of Ritz, Petrol models' sales is 70%. So, temporarily stopping Swift and shifting those customers to Ritz (naturally, Petrol models) will be the target of Maruti, for retaining the purity of its Genes!

They may also have plans to move Swift into the upper B+ category to lead the fight against the models like Jazz, i20 and Punto.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 15th July 2009 at 12:12.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:16   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
They may also have plans to move Swift into the upper B+ category to lead the fight against the models like Jazz, i20 and Punto.
They can't move the current Swift up. Probably that's the plan for the New Bigger Swift.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:33   #26
BHPian

Maybe its just to meet BSIV emission norms which comes in 2010. Instead of updating the current engine i guess it makes sense for them to put the new engine.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:52   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
They can't move the current Swift up. Probably that's the plan for the New Bigger Swift.
With a 1.6L M series mill currently doing duty in SX4, they can definitely move the Swift up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
At this point, one can only speculate. Length of Dzire is more than 4000 mm. So it wouldn't qualify for lower excise duty with a 1.2 litre engine. Maruti Suzuki might plonk the 1.2 litre engine to meet BS IV emission norms to take effect from April 2010. The moot question: will the 1.2 litre engine be enough for Dzire that weighs 30 kg more than the Swift?Pradeep
DZire is a super hit among cost-conscious Indian customers, and Maruti may not make any change in its design. But the extra 160mm makes it not eligible for tax exemption in the body size front. Maruti needs a slim car and within the 4000mm length limit in this category instead of the bulky-looking DZire.

In my opinion, there is a big problem in the positioning of the DZire, when compared to Swift: Swift is in the higher segment of the hatch section and has a rich feel associated with it, but DZire lies in the lower segment of the sedan section, giving it a 'cheap' feel.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 15th July 2009 at 15:06.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:22   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
In my opinion, there is a big problem in the positioning of the DZire, when compared to Swift: Swift is in the higher segment of the hatch section and has a rich feel associated with it, but DZire lies in the lower segment of the sedan section, giving it a 'cheap' feel.
They should have launched the Suzuki Liana to replace the Esteem instead of the Dzire. It looks quite decent compated to the ugly Dzire.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:37   #29
gpa
Senior - BHPian

A much need upgrade for the engines in the MUL stable. Am looking forward to this
Old 16th July 2009, 01:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
They should have launched the Suzuki Liana to replace the Esteem instead of the Dzire. It looks quite decent compated to the ugly Dzire.
I agree and i had mentioned this in an earlier post almost two years ago.I feel that the hunchback D'Zire is a result of too many Indian designers hired by Maruti Udyog, perhaps?. Just look at what DC creates when he's sober!.

Last edited by nickatnite : 16th July 2009 at 01:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks