Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 02:36   #31
BHPian

Any update for the VVT engine for SX4?

I am planning to buy a SX4 next month and so would be interested if its going for an engine upgrade.
Old 16th July 2009, 21:35   #32
BHPian

Maruti launches CNG kit for Alto at Rs 43,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Alto CNG with existing engine getting launched on 15th-16th at a premium of 40,000-45,000 over petrol.
Available in both LX and LXi model.
Just read this report in the Economic Times.

NEW DELHI, July 16: The country's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki today said it has launched CNG kit for its highest selling small car Alto in the national capital region, priced at Rs 43,545.

"The Maruti-authorised CNG kits will be available across variants of brand new Maruti Suzuki Alto at dealerships in only Delhi and NCR from June 17 onwards," the company said in a statement.

The retrofitted CNG Altos would come with a 12-kg tank, which would accommodate 7-7.5 kg of Compressed Natural gas, it added.

"Alto has emerged as the most preferred car in India for its driveability, superior mileage, low ownership cost and overall reliability. We are confident that the Alto with a CNG option makes this car even more attractive for customers," Maruti Suzuki Chief General Manager Shashank Srivastava said.

The company had earlier said it stopped working on LPG models as it planned to roll out CNG variants of the entire range of its cars from early 2010, the first of which would be the Alto.

MSI's Maruti 800, Omni and WagonR come with dual fuel (LPG-cum-petrol) variants. Earlier, it had also offered CNG fitted cars for some period, but later withdrew them. It has so far sold over two lakh vehicles fitted with alternative fuel technology.

- END -
Old 17th July 2009, 09:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
"The Maruti-authorised CNG kits will be available across variants of brand new Maruti Suzuki Alto at dealerships in only Delhi and NCR from June 17 onwards," the company said in a statement.
So its not a new model, its just a Maruti-authorised CNG kit, similar to the one the Indica Xeta had earlier!!!
Quote:
The retrofitted CNG Altos would come with a 12-kg tank, which would accommodate 7-7.5 kg of Compressed Natural gas, it added.
thats all!!! a total of around 150km before another refill. What do they expect??? go fill the CNG every alternate day??? Atleast 12 to 15 Kg CNG capacity should be there!!!!
Old 17th July 2009, 12:11   #34

Friends

I was just amazed at the call given for retiring the Wagon-R and it hurts me very much. I have a Wagon-R March 2000 model, bought second hand from true value in 2004 and since then have been using this.

I have some restrictions in terms of owning a 4 wheeler and they are:-
1) Limited parking space at home. Can't afford anything lengthier than this and would not like to park the car on the roads.
2) Luggage carrying capacity - Have a kid at home and then do lots of weekend travelling with either parents or in-laws. So need space for 4 adults and a kid and along with their weekend luggage, Toys, etc.
3) Driving comfort for a 5.11 tall driver with enough headroom, ease for aged people to get-in and get-out etc.
4) Good enough power in the engine for some long drives ( with AC, passenger and luggage load bearing capacity)
5) And offcourse reliable and affordable service.

Honestly i don't think any other car can match these requirements and i am at loss to find an upgrade for this car that could match my needs and adjust to the limitations.

Probably what i would like to see is an upgrade for the wagon-r to make it slightly wide ( by about 6-8cms) and have the new KB1.2 litre engine and
add all other safety features, and that is it.

For me this is the best car that i can afford and definitely there are many more indians who might also be in a similar position and would really like The Wagon-R to continue.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryN View Post
Friends

I was just amazed at the call given for retiring the Wagon-R and it hurts me very much. I have a Wagon-R March 2000 model, bought second hand from true value in 2004 and since then have been using this.

For me this is the best car that i can afford and definitely there are many more indians who might also be in a similar position and would really like The Wagon-R to continue.
+100. I completely agree with you. It is perhaps one of the most practical hatches and I being the owner of 1 for the last 6 years can vouch for it. It is easy on the wallet, easy to park, turn, and load a lot of luggage as well and also is the 2nd largest selling hatch. There is no reason to discontinue the same. Infact there are plans to bring a new version (slightly wider with the re-tuned K12 engine). That should then be a fantastic hatch
Old 17th July 2009, 13:34   #36
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Atleast 12 to 15 Kg CNG capacity should be there!!!!
Yup, makes no sense to have a 7kg tank as that will entail long waits at the filling stations almost every other day!
Old 17th July 2009, 14:13   #37
BHPian

Suzuki Wagon R+?

Weight: 978 kg (2,156.1 pounds)
Max weight with load: 1464 kg (3,227.6 pounds)
Towing weight: 804 kg (1,772.5 pounds)
Overall length: 3550 mm (139.8 inches)
Overall width: 1630 mm (64.2 inches)
Overall height: 1710 mm (67.3 inches)
Wheelbase: 2370 mm (93.3 inches)

Suzuki Wagon R+ 1.3 Club 2006. Pictures. Specs.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Infact there are plans to bring a new version (slightly wider with the re-tuned K12 engine). That should then be a fantastic hatch
Old 17th July 2009, 14:29   #38

Yeah yeah yeah that is the one. I have seen them on roads in UK.
Not sure if there are plans of getting the same here in india.

Wish we can get them here with the new 1.2 litre engine, that would get us excise benefits and make the price affordable.

Nothing can beat the practicality of WagonR and with this "one size more" version it will be the perfect upgrade for the current wagonr owners like me. Ritz did dissappoint me in the space management side and was not so "smart" compared to wagonr ergonomics to be considered as a real upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Suzuki Wagon R+?

Weight: 978 kg (2,156.1 pounds)
Max weight with load: 1464 kg (3,227.6 pounds)
Towing weight: 804 kg (1,772.5 pounds)
Overall length: 3550 mm (139.8 inches)
Overall width: 1630 mm (64.2 inches)
Overall height: 1710 mm (67.3 inches)
Wheelbase: 2370 mm (93.3 inches)

Suzuki Wagon R+ 1.3 Club 2006. Pictures. Specs.

Regards,

Pradeep
Old 18th July 2009, 09:50   #39
BHPian

Swift production not stopped

Today morning I was talking to someone from Maruti's engine manufacturing plant at Manesar. I was able to get following info from him :

1. Suzuki is running some special promotional scheme for A-Star in the Europien market, so the export demand for A-Star has suddenly soared, this scheme is valid till 31st July as per current plans.

2. Swift engine shares the production line with the A-Star engine, so they had to cut down the production of swift engines to meet this export demand for A-Star.

3. He denied any knowledge of engine change in Swift.

4. On asking about possibility of SX4 getting a desiel heart, he told me that as of now there is no news of it, but CNG engine for SX4 is being tested and may be launched around Mar-April 2010.
Old 18th July 2009, 14:50   #40
BHPian

Going by all these details and also looking at the product portfolio, it appears to me that Maruti is somehow changing from (being) a leader to (be) a follower! Even though they have a good original (at least from Indian purspective) product lineup with alto, swift and sx4... that's it. And all the other products seems to be to take care of the competition! Either wagonR/a-star/ritz appear to me like a reactive products than a product from a market leader! Or is it like leaders will have both active and reactive products
Old 27th July 2009, 12:25   #41
BHPian

I really hope the swift gets the K-series engine.

BTW, which K-series engine would be put in the Swift, does MS haves a 1.4L one?
Old 27th July 2009, 16:06   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
Suzuki is running some special promotional scheme for A-Star in the Europien market, so the export demand for A-Star has suddenly soared,
More than Suzuki's own promotions, it's to do with Europe offering car owners incentives to upgrade. Related Linky
Old 27th July 2009, 16:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I really hope the swift gets the K-series engine.

BTW, which K-series engine would be put in the Swift, does MS haves a 1.4L one?
I think the K series 1.2 doing duty on Ritz will be plonked in the Swift. I havent heard of a 1.4 L yet.
Old 27th July 2009, 16:19   #44
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
Either wagonR/a-star/ritz appear to me like a reactive products than a product from a market leader!

Apologies for going OT, but I'm curious to know why you say that products like the A-Star and Ritz are reactive products. Its only after a series of ongoing development that they launch new products/engines (as in the K-Series). So, if its ongoing development that's happening at MUL, their new products will see phased launches despite what the competition is doing.

Would be glad to know your thoughts.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 27th July 2009, 16:35   #45
BHPian

Coming to SX4, why they offered Rs.30000 discount for quite some time & then stopped it? Have the sales charts for SX4 picked up now?

Most Viewed