Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: which is better?
Ritz DDiS 65 20.50%
Punto MJD 252 79.50%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:54   #121
BANNED

Cars - as such are depreciating assets - are like maintaining an elephant. This poll wants to know the color of the elephant. I will go with black.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:06   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Voted Punto... the rattles in my Swift will keep me away from any car in the Maruti stables!
Hi airwind,
We were looking out for a used hatch as second car a yr. back. Did a few rounds of Automartindia and other multicar showrooms.
We noticed that every santro with sometimes 2 users was way too tighter than single owner low mileage wagonr, estilos and alto. And were quite expensive too.
Didnt try swift though i was under the impression that this generation of maruti cars are a bit better in build. and are not as tinny as they used to be.
This just makes one think that if you have to use a car for longer period ( excess ) of 5 years, look for something else. If u have to dispose in 3/4 years , take a maruti product as resale 'll be higher and the you wont get frustrated to live with body rattle , door rattle , trims rattle , glass rattle that maruti & tata cars have.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:12   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Cars - as such are depreciating assets - are like maintaining an elephant. This poll wants to know the color of the elephant. I will go with black.
So right. i remember downloading an excel sheet prepared by a forum member computing cost of car ownership. I did check the damages and found out that a small fortune is required to purchase , run and maintain an automobile and i am talking about medium size hatches here.
all for a depreciating asset ...
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:46   #124
BHPian

Strangely, I have started to like the rear design of RITZ
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:33   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Strangely, I have started to like the rear design of RITZ
Thats the thing with cars. The looks sometimes grow on you. And some cars look good with certain colours and not so with other colours. The tail lights shape and form and colour may compliment certain shades of body colours and sometimes it dominates the actual car colours highlighting the form in a way that one looking at the car actually perceives a different shape more. Hence it may appear ungainly.
Its difficult to put in words. But just observe the xylo / ritz in different colours parket close together.
cOLOUR does make so much difference to how certain cars look its amazing. you may like certain colour on a certain car but may not like the colours itself on other cars.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 22nd July 2009 at 16:37.
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:17   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi airwind,
We were looking out for a used hatch as second car a yr. back. Did a few rounds of Automartindia and other multicar showrooms.
We noticed that every santro with sometimes 2 users was way too tighter than single owner low mileage wagonr, estilos and alto. And were quite expensive too.
Didnt try swift though i was under the impression that this generation of maruti cars are a bit better in build. and are not as tinny as they used to be.
This just makes one think that if you have to use a car for longer period ( excess ) of 5 years, look for something else. If u have to dispose in 3/4 years , take a maruti product as resale 'll be higher and the you wont get frustrated to live with body rattle , door rattle , trims rattle , glass rattle that maruti & tata cars have.
There's no doubt that Hyundai cars (except for 1st gen. Santro) are better built than Marutis (WagonR, Alto, Estilo). However, the newer Marutis (Swift onwards) are much better than earlier ones.
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:13   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrack View Post
There's no doubt that Hyundai cars (except for 1st gen. Santro) are better built than Marutis (WagonR, Alto, Estilo). However, the newer Marutis (Swift onwards) are much better than earlier ones.
But i still feel the latest generation hyundai cars are better built than the latest generation suzuki cars . what do u think ?
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:23   #128
Senior - BHPian

i dont see the point of this comparison. One is a family hatch, the other is a style statement. The swift is more of a Punto competitor than the Ritz.
Old 23rd July 2009, 01:29   #129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Looks : I dont like Punto Looks. Linea looks better, but Punto looks like frog to me. Looks are subjective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I'm not a big fan of hatchbacks but given the choice between a rtiz and a punto I would go for the punto.

No offense to all the ritz fans but guys this car is just plain ugly. It's a horrible abomination masquerading as a 21st century design. Alright maybe it has good specs otherwise but hey. I wouldnt want to be seen in one of those!!!

Just 'cos maruti has a good market share they've become overconfident and churning out one monstrosity after the other.

I thought they had peaked with the ugly swift desire ( which is basically a swift with an a$$) but the ritz takes the cake!! It's shocking that people actually spend good money on buying these cars. Wake up folks!!
(just my two bits, no offense intended to anyone except for the designers at maruti suzuki )
What contrasting posts. It hapens only on t-bhp being unbiased open forum.

The 1st post above is one of the exceptions or aberrations & never bothered to read that post after that 1st sentence (which is a 1st to me as I do not remember anyone else opinionating similarly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
No offence meant to you, but I think you might have never faced this problem for you to acknowledge this. I know the trouble that some of the guys who had Scorpio went through while trying to enter our IT campus just because of the larger turning radius. Holding up the traffic on both the sides of the main road, they would make such a heavy weather of making that tricky turn into the campus - reversing and forwarding (all along playing that stupid reverse horn). People who had longer sedans will breeze into the campus because of the smaller turning radius. Well, those guys had to do those turns twice a day - is that frequent enough?
To solve the inconvenience of others waiting in the traffic, why should I sacrifice my convenience/ joy of using modern-car features/ dropdead looks/ excellent Ride & Handling & what not? Thats the question I would ask if I were "those guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
There is a constant denigration of other brands- maruti/honda/skoda. but fiat is untouchable. why?
My swift rattles- I'll be the 1st to admit that.
My verna lacks steering feel-agreed
The endeavour lacks ride comfort-true.
But if I say the new indian fiats are boring- Thats flame bait?
My suggestion is to look at each Linea & Punto Ownership threads & you'll come to know the integrity of owners feedback & will come to know that are other car's owners share such things candidly. Being a Linea-Owner, I feel your above statement as a question against integrity of my ownership reports/ feedback.

If you go thro' those ownership reports, you'll find Linea/GP owners dissecting every smallest of the small issue with microscope, highlighting it, often holding Fiat to the ransom (though many times its not Fiat fault). Someone who has multiple cars including these & other cars mentioned that all such minor issues are there in most of the cars. Its just that Linea & GP-owners are highlighting with a blown-up proportion - may be because its a Fiat who is weaker in Indian market & may be we derive perverse pleasure beating the weaker.

That said, my tryst with Fiat is only 3 months old. Before that I was a proud owner of a Ford Ikon

Quote:
EDIT:
Go through the following post guys:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1388775
Precisely what I mentioned in my above post about how Linea & GP-owners are mentioning every small details including negatives. How many other Cars ownership reports carry such?

OT - but in continuation of the above link hence pertinent here - Check out below from a person who has multiple cars covering most MFRs (Accord, Palio, Corolla, Fiesta, Merc), from a similar discussion on the other thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1346782

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2009 at 18:12. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 23rd July 2009, 07:41   #130
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
My suggestion is to look at each Linea & Punto Ownership threads & you'll come to know the integrity of owners feedback & will come to know that are other car's owners share such things candidly. Being a Linea-Owner, I feel your above statement as a question against integrity of my ownership reports/ feedback.
I did look at the innumerable fiat punto threads. Was sickened by the "sporty" word being mentioned again and again. There are NO sporty hatches in india. The palio 1.6 was the closest. and that one takes 11 secs to the ton.
The punto takes 17.

When I hear Punto and sporty in one sentence,I feel it questions the integrity of my skull.

Please dont flame me. I stick to my earlier opinion. it is a VFM hatch, that is very poor in a straight line,decent on corners and good at its ride. I'm not discussing the A.S.S anymore.

Old 23rd July 2009, 08:46   #131
BHPian

Quote:
To solve the inconvenience of others waiting in the traffic, why should I sacrifice my convenience/ joy of using modern-car features/ dropdead looks/ excellent Ride & Handling & what not? Thats the question I would ask if I were "those guys"
VP, love your one eyed FAT lady - I don't have any problem with that. But pls. acknowledge the issues - one cannot justify certain things, no matter how hard one tries.
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:11   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I did look at the innumerable fiat punto threads. Was sickened by the "sporty" word being mentioned again and again. There are NO sporty hatches in india. The palio 1.6 was the closest. and that one takes 11 secs to the ton.
The punto takes 17.

When I hear Punto and sporty in one sentence,I feel it questions the integrity of my skull.
But the 0-100 timings dont matter for most.Its the in-gear acceleration /driveability that matters most.
Agreed that the punto is underpowered for its heavy weight but i found the driveability to be good.In my test drive i could drive it at 20kmph in 3rd gear without even having to think about changing gears.
since the torque surge is linear the car doesnt shoot ahead as in the case of swift which sometimes can be a pain cause the car shoots ahead in 2nd gear and then you have to apply brakes suddenly which could resuly in the car behind you bumping you.

take the case of the fiesta.it takes 17 odd seconds to reach the ton but it still was successfull.but it did feel much more livelier than the punto for sure.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:40   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Please dont flame me. I stick to my earlier opinion. it
Hey Dude, No issues. We can AGREE to DISAGREE & leave it at that.

Quote:
VP, love your one eyed FAT lady - I don't have any problem with that. But pls. acknowledge the issues - one cannot justify certain things, no matter how hard one tries.
Punto turning radius is higher. Period. The owners mentioned it in their feedback, others mentioned it in their TD experience & I think nobody said turning redius is better in Punto or a positive point for Punto. The key here is how one views the car as a complete package. I would sacrifice turning radius point over other 'n' number of positives which are important to me & being confident about my driving ability to manage it in traffic situations you mentioned. Someone else won't. So be it.
And am intrigued by your adjective - "one eyed FAT lady" ? Anyway, am ignoring it right now.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:55   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The punto takes 17.

Not a single Punto or Linea owner has used the word sporty with regard to performance. You have to see the context in which the word sporty is used. I have used that word for the Punto too and I stick by it because the driving environment is very sporty. It's something you will realise when you sit in it. The seats, seating position, interior's and specifically the ORVM's give that feel to the driver. Also, from the outside the car has a sporty and purposefeul stance to it.

As for the Palio, I had a S10 for many years and the car looked sporty from outside with the side skirts, spoilers and chrome tip exhaust but the interiors were nothing compared to the sporty environ's of the Punto.

Quote:
Please dont flame me. I stick to my earlier opinion. it is a VFM hatch, that is very poor in a straight line,decent on corners and good at its ride. I'm not discussing the A.S.S anymore.
Nobody disagrees with that. Not a single Punto MJD or Petrol owner will claim that he smoked x car on the roads. Both these new Fiat cars have the responsiblity of establishing the Fiat brand name as the maker of fuel efficient cars. No one buys hatchbacks in India for performance. Even Civic's and Corolla's are not bought for performance here. That's a lesson Fiat learnt the hard way.

Anyway, the poll results mean nothing in the real world. The Ritz will always outsell the Punto month after month by 10:1. It is possible that 9 out 10 people cross shopping these cars will like the Punto and want to buy it but the final arguement will always end with "I like the Punto but it's a Fiat."
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:21   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you go thro' those ownership reports, you'll find Linea/GP owners dissecting every smallest of the small issue with microscope, highlighting it, often holding Fiat to the ransom (though many times its not Fiat fault). Someone who has multiple cars including these & other cars mentioned that all such minor issues are there in most of the cars. Its just that Linea & GP-owners are highlighting with a blown-up proportion - may be because its a Fiat who is weaker in Indian market & may be we derive perverse pleasure beating the weaker.

That said, my tryst with Fiat is only 3 months old. Before that I was a proud owner of a Ford Ikon
I too have noticed this trait among the Fiat owners, not just on TBHP but off it as well. The guy who owns a Fiat normally notices small defects and wants it rectified - not for him the "oh there is a little rattle coming from somewhere in the rear left but, it does not bother me".

This critical attitude from the Fiat owners - can we put it down to their being more demanding?

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks