Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 16:20   #46
BHPian

Unfortunately yes. I dont have "Shrek" -my scorpio anymore with me and someone else must be enjoying it. I have gone for quotes for the new one and VLX 4*4 seems attractive but before I buy the car this time will be buying all the security gadgets and locks and everything possible to secure it before I get it home. Its the sense of void that seems to be engulfing me though I have few more four wheeled to keep company.

Apart from the loss of such a loved member of our family ,its also the monetary loss and time spent in running around to the police station and I have still not got the report to claim insurance which is of course - less 3.5 lakhs than what I paid for it ( comp regn). However I am mentally debating whether should I go for "Shrek-II "or try a "Fortuner".

Last edited by shatrughna : 11th August 2009 at 16:21.
Old 11th August 2009, 18:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

if you are willing to spend your money, fortuner is a no-brainer.
Old 12th August 2009, 22:42   #48
BHPian

At the qoted price approx in the range of 22L - do you really feel its worth it as compared to the Scorp VLX 4*4 in 12L. Is it really worth the extra 10L? I wonder. The info is too sketchy as of now on fortuner - and I am not considering the resale value as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
if you are willing to spend your money, fortuner is a no-brainer.
Old 12th August 2009, 22:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
At the qoted price approx in the range of 22L - do you really feel its worth it as compared to the Scorp VLX 4*4 in 12L. Is it really worth the extra 10L? I wonder. The info is too sketchy as of now on fortuner - and I am not considering the resale value as of now.
till the vehicle is launched, i really cant comment on this.

rest assured, the fortuner is better than the scorpio in many ways. but is it worth the extra 10 lakhs? thats a question mark.
Old 13th August 2009, 14:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw this thread after a few days of my approx. 1 year old vehicle ( VLX) got stolen from a parking area near our building. Lodged FIR and the police is still clueless.
Incidentally, I also suppose they have launched 4*4 version with Mhawk engine.
Really shocking, how did this happen !! How is police cooperating? Which area in Mumbai ?

Quote:
till the vehicle is launched, i really cant comment on this.

rest assured, the fortuner is better than the scorpio in many ways. but is it worth the extra 10 lakhs? thats a question mark.
I would agree on Raj with this, OTR difference of 10 L ? Not sure.

You can buy another Shrek in that price !
Old 13th August 2009, 14:08   #51
BANNED

this is old news. 2 scorpios in black stolen right below my building. owners preferred to park on road than in the building. now gone every car stands in the compound.
Old 13th August 2009, 14:44   #52
BHPian

Jesal, I lost my car on 23 June and since then tried all the possible avenues to track it- through police and local contacts -including cash award to the policeman handling my case. Appears that its gone for good- though my search will be on. During this period, I was away from TBHP so had not posted the news.

It has been notified through vehicle tracker on the mahindra website as well. But now that I am partially out of the shock of the loss , I am looking out for filling up the void. The feeling that was experienced from the driving seat is still fresh in my mind and am yearning to get going again. Not sure should I go in for another scorpio or or something less prone to theft( more secured/ less attractive).
Old 13th August 2009, 15:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The feeling that was experienced from the driving seat is still fresh in my mind and am yearning to get going again. Not sure should I go in for another scorpio or or something less prone to theft( more secured/ less attractive).
the feeling you mentioned wont be there in other cars!

i assume the refreshed scorpio is 'more secured' with the iCat tech in it. so why settle for something 'less attractive'?
Old 13th August 2009, 15:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
the feeling you mentioned wont be there in other cars!

i assume the refreshed scorpio is 'more secured' with the iCat tech in it. so why settle for something 'less attractive'?
To elaborate -"Less attractive " to the thieves as I have heard that Scorpio is most stolen / sought after vehicle by thieves perhaps because of its reliability and serviceability in the nooks and corner plus desirability , I guess ( something wrong with my language I guess).

Am enquiring with the dealers about the new iCat - which supposedly they have installed now in the Scorpio and also exploring the other options like, a big steel chain (a ship anchor sort of ) , a gear lock, a wheel lock, a gps and sms based vehicle tracker cum immobiliser , a chor key/ switch, a lockable garage/parking, a night watchman and wish there was an option of removing the engine and all the four wheels and put it on my terrace at night - just like they do with Yo bikes batteries for charging.

You will be wondering why I am exploring these options because - Police has given up - I was informed that an ACPs Scorpio has also been stolen from the same neighbourhood and still not found.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To elaborate -"Less attractive " to the thieves as I have heard that Scorpio is most stolen / sought after vehicle by thieves perhaps because of its reliability and serviceability in the nooks and corner plus desirability , I guess ( something wrong with my language I guess).
yes, thats true. scorpio is indeed preferred by the thieves, whatever be the reason. by the way, nothing wrong with your language.

Quote:
Am enquiring with the dealers about the new iCat - which supposedly they have installed now in the Scorpio and also exploring the other options like, a big steel chain (a ship anchor sort of ) , a gear lock, a wheel lock, a gps and sms based vehicle tracker cum immobiliser , a chor key/ switch, a lockable garage/parking, a night watchman and wish there was an option of removing the engine and all the four wheels and put it on my terrace at night - just like they do with Yo bikes batteries for charging.

imagine a scorpio without wheels tied with a ship anchor with four hi-tech security guards guarding it! that will be shatrughna's scorpio!

scorpio has left the rolls royce behind in this respect. kudos mahindra!

Quote:
You will be wondering why I am exploring these options because - Police has given up - I was informed that an ACPs Scorpio has also been stolen from the same neighbourhood and still not found.
in place of the security guards in the above scenario, if you find 4 policemen, that will be the ACP's new scorpio!
Old 13th August 2009, 16:30   #56
BHPian

Our ingenuous and dare devil thieves and oh so competent police dept. also deserve some credit and on top of it -a thriving resale market. Some one added another logic to it that the elections are near and such vehicles are put to much better use during these periods.

On a yahoogroup someone asked me this question that when did I take it for the last service ? I was baffled with another theory doing the rounds is that there was some code which was supposed to be changed by the owner . Modus operandi is that some insider at the workshop tracks vehicles which have the default security code 0000 and passes on the information ( they have the addresses in the database) and the data pattern of the theft within a specific period of servicing- does add some credential to this theory. Hope I am not paranoid and start distrusting everyone but when you are horrifyingly shocked - you dont rule out any possibility. Incidentally, I lost my vehicle within a fortnight after servicing.

God ! Why do we get so much knowledge only when its of little use. No wonder they say experience is a comb which you get after you are bald. .

Quote:
yes, thats true. scorpio is indeed preferred by the thieves, whatever be the reason. by the way, nothing wrong with your language.

imagine a scorpio without wheels tied with a ship anchor with four hi-tech security guards guarding it! that will be shatrughna's scorpio!

scorpio has left the rolls royce behind in this respect. kudos mahindra!

in place of the security guards in the above scenario, if you find 4 policemen, that will be the ACP's new scorpio!
Old 13th August 2009, 18:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a yahoogroup someone asked me this question that when did I take it for the last service ? I was baffled with another theory doing the rounds is that there was some code which was supposed to be changed by the owner . Modus operandi is that some insider at the workshop tracks vehicles which have the default security code 0000 and passes on the information ( they have the addresses in the database) and the data pattern of the theft within a specific period of servicing- does add some credential to this theory. Hope I am not paranoid and start distrusting everyone but when you are horrifyingly shocked - you dont rule out any possibility. Incidentally, I lost my vehicle within a fortnight after servicing.
now thats really concerning. this should be reported to some top officials in mahindra. but i dont think it will do any help. guess i did a good thing by changing the default code & would request all scorpio owners with pre-refresh models to do the same ASAP.
Old 13th August 2009, 21:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jesal, I lost my car on 23 June and since then tried all the possible avenues to track it- through police and local contacts -including cash award to the policeman handling my case. Appears that its gone for good- though my search will be on. During this period, I was away from TBHP so had not posted the news.

It has been notified through vehicle tracker on the mahindra website as well. But now that I am partially out of the shock of the loss , I am looking out for filling up the void. The feeling that was experienced from the driving seat is still fresh in my mind and am yearning to get going again. Not sure should I go in for another scorpio or or something less prone to theft( more secured/ less attractive).
Not to hurt you!. I just want to know about the safely measurements you made? Did you have immobilizer, remote lock/alarm, gear lock - one or more in this?
Which area in Mumbai?
Old 19th August 2009, 10:06   #59
BHPian

@ agbenny - it has OEM so called immobiliser (remote lock & alarm) nothing else ,as I never dreamt of someone actually opening the car without a remote & key and driving it away , since, I thought it already has an immobilser fitted by the company which will at least stop the fuel supply. This was mentioned in the user manual as well .
Now in the refresh model - M&M is again tom -tomming about the new immobiliser with security coded key - God knows how much protection would it mean. We should get professional ethical thieves to check such systems as we do with our websites and database. Anyone knows someone like this- please, share contact details. I would like to hire professional services.
Old 19th August 2009, 14:27   #60
BHPian

Cant find the thread that you are looking for, but I am told that these new keys (iCAT system) , RFID based can be duplicated. The person was asking for 2000-3000 rupees but according to him, it CAN be done without need of the codes from the company. If true, then this means this system is no better.

Just ask your local neighbourhood key man that you lost the car keys (RFID based) - and if he can make a spare which will let you start the engine. Since Maruti has gotten this technology, these guys seem to have upgraded themselves too.

Most Viewed