Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 18:07   #1
BHPian

Attention Scorpio Owners!!!

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but thought I'd share this info with you guys. I'm from Bombay (or mumbai if you will) and am a huge fan of the mighty Scorp. A Few months ago I was looking around trying to buy a decent pre-owned or new scorp and during my research realised that the Scorp is one of the most stolen vehicles, atleast here in Mumbai!!

The very first incident was when a close friend's spanking new SLX was stolen from right outside his window in the middle of the night. He had barely recovered from the initial shock the nightmare began with multiple visits to the police station, visits from the insurance company appointed detective etc. This dude was still paying EMI's for a car that was not even with him anymore. Needless to say the cops couldnt find the car and with his insurance claim he's now settled for a honda civic!

Around the same time I was in touch with this other dude who was looking to sell his 2008 VLX which I was quite keen on buying. I called him up to finaliise our negotiations and he tells me " Sorry I can't give you the car, it got stolen yesterday".

Incident number three took place in another friends building where his neighbor's scorpio was stolen from within the building's parking lot. One of the security guards is absconding.

There have been many stories in the newspapers as well about many other people's Scorpio's being stolen. Take precautions and dont park your cars on the street overnight. If any of you guys have any theft prevention ideas / suggestions feel free to post.
Old 16th July 2009, 19:25   #2
BHPian

Its actually quite prevalent since some time. Good old fashioned gear locks seem to be working. More importantly, the code needs to be changed - actual Scorpio owners will shed more light on this. I am another fan waiting to buy the brute as well. But its defntly a negative point which Mahindra is trying to rectify. Case in point - the rear sliding window replaced by a fixed one in the newer version. Entry was supposedly easier from there. Mahindra is also pushing buyers and dealers to ensure that the code is changed.

But its really shocking when the car is stolen from within the building itself. Obviously the security guy had a hand in it.

Those SIM card based security solutions which switch off the car or send the location etc should also be looked into , has anyone had a good experience with such systems?
Old 16th July 2009, 19:33   #3
BHPian

This happened to my brother a year ago where he had parked the car, right outside of his house and it got stolen.
After going through various people & cops we finally found the car towards the Hosur road 3 days from the incident.
His had bought a white colour scorpio & to our astonishment the colour of our car that we found 3 days later was a maroon-gold version.
Totally shocked although happy that we found the car back with a New coat of Paint
Old 16th July 2009, 19:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

thats teaches us to spend at least 1-2% of the cost of the vehicle on its security!
Old 16th July 2009, 19:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
There have been many stories in the newspapers as well about many other people's Scorpio's being stolen. Take precautions and dont park your cars on the street overnight. If any of you guys have any theft prevention ideas / suggestions feel free to post.
Quite a shock! Even a black Scorpio stolen in Mumbai was featured in ACI in a recent 2009 issue cautioning owners. Among theft prevention ideas, I use the old conventional telescopic bar with a chain and huge lock to lock the gear and steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Its actually quite prevalent since some time. Good old fashioned gear locks seem to be working. More importantly, the code needs to be changed - actual Scorpio owners will shed more light on this. I am another fan waiting to buy the brute as well. But its defntly a negative point which Mahindra is trying to rectify. Case in point - the rear sliding window replaced by a fixed one in the newer version. Entry was supposedly easier from there. Mahindra is also pushing buyers and dealers to ensure that the code is changed.

But its really shocking when the car is stolen from within the building itself. Obviously the security guy had a hand in it.

Those SIM card based security solutions which switch off the car or send the location etc should also be looked into , has anyone had a good experience with such systems?
The new Refreshed Scorpio has a new immobiliser, each machine having different codes. I learnt that there was no need to change the codes as the factory codes are unique to each SUV. Moreover, the dealer expressed inability to change saying changing is is almost impossible.
True the rear sliding window is gone for good.
Old 16th July 2009, 20:33   #6
BHPian

I read in a magazine somewhere that the culprit here is the boot lock. A small part of this boot lock needs to be stolen initially, Owner will not even notice when it is stolen.

Over a period of few days, an absolutely new key can be made. It is then a matter of unlocking the car one fine night (even day sometimes), disabling immobiliser (quite simple in Mahindra's case), firing up the engine and driving off without anyone noticing.

Mahindra & Mahindra have tried to keep this issue under the carpet because it involves faulty parts in two places:
1. Boot Lock
2. Quality of Immobiliser

But to be fair, this can effectively happen to any SUV and we actually need to invest in some good security.

There are three things every new customer must buy with a new car:
1. Auto Dipper - Moral Issue
2. Extended Warranty - Things always go wrong and this would also help in re-sale value.
3. Security System - All car nowadays come with immobilisers but then again, OEM's are generally studied in detail by hacks and are useless. You can always add few security measures on your own. This could also mean investing in a good, well lit, parking spot (preferably gated).
Old 17th July 2009, 09:57   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A brand new top model white scorpio was stolen from our residential complex as well. (Last year during Ganpati celebrations.) Of course there was no trace of it. Since then the society has put up better maned security and keeps the gates closed at night.

Better secuirty systems is a good Idea. Also how about the tyre lock that the traffic police guys do for cars parked in no parking. Possibly the securuty guard could be given this responsibilty on a daily basis.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:10   #8
BHPian

There is this similar thread about Mahindra Boleros. I guess the discussion there will be helpful in case of Scorps too. Here you go:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...st-stolen.html
Old 17th July 2009, 10:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

How abt having a Steering lock,will that be easy for a person to crank.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:44   #10
BHPian

steering locks dont take long , the thieves simply cut them. they are well prepared. gear locks are what seems to be working ... so far.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:49   #11
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Really crazy stuff ! Thank God i'm in blr One thing I cant seem to get...where do all these stolen cars go ?! Do they strip them for parts or sell them off with a new identity !? Is that even possible ??
Old 17th July 2009, 10:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Mostly for election duty by the same people who run our country! They bought cheap used for election duty and then dumped or resold. And during non election times there is thriving market in North (UP, Bihar, Haryana) where these cars are sold with fake papers or better yet no plates to people seeking deep discounts. There is alos a good demand for tour operators & taxi companies in the same geography to run these suspect cars

Top demand car is Scorpio, follwoed by Innova, Pajero's & Endevors

Last edited by canonball : 17th July 2009 at 10:59.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:59   #13
BHPian

Whoaa, Bombay is gettin scopio frenzy these days, i also heard about this kinda incidents. But the way you describe, in matter of days all yours friends scorpio stolen kinda reminds me of the Gone in 60 seconds movie

Any ways atleast the maruti is equipped with the iCATS,
Old 17th July 2009, 11:01   #14
BHPian

Its reached the point where M&M owners would do good to install those SIM based security boxes which allow you to find the exact location of the car as well as make it stall by a simple SMS. Wont start again till you ask it to.

Of course smarter thieves who rob you at knife / gun point will simply take your cell phones too once they figure this one out.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Its reached the point where M&M owners would do good to install those SIM based security boxes which allow you to find the exact location of the car as well as make it stall by a simple SMS. Wont start again till you ask it to.

Of course smarter thieves who rob you at knife / gun point will simply take your cell phones too once they figure this one out.
I was approached by a salesman offering to install a sim based system by Microtek. Dont know how far this is effective but i'm seriously considering it.

Someone mentioned the rear lock as being easy to crack. Any suggestions as to how that can be secured?

Most Viewed