Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Premium Hatch Vs Fully-Loaded Sedan - Which one do you choose?
Premium Hatch 80 40.82%
Fully-Loaded Sedan 116 59.18%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 14:49   #16
BHPian

I would go for sedan as it offers a better space and even if one does less long drive, each of these would be quite comfortable.

Hatch can be a very good second car option, but I am not sure if we can ever find someone buying two of the same kind - especially in the hatch segment. Let me know if I am wrong.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

A trick question. If the price and equipment levels are same I would prefer a Sedan. Then again this would be the decision if there is only one car in the household. ideally I would go for a Sedan/ Hatch or a SUV/hatch combination.

A hatch is good when there are only 1-2 people in the car and you are driving within the city. Sedan is peferable on highway runs and when you have the whole family travelling together.

I am not in favor of spending an amount of say Rs 7 lakh ( a la Jazz) on a hatch vis a vis the same kind of money on a SX4 or Linea. The max I would spend on a hatch is Rs 6 lacs (on road ) .Needless to say it would have to be a diesel with good performance.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:54   #18
BHPian

Both a fully loaded sedan and a fully loaded premium hatch are out of budget. If I have to choose something withing my budget (less than 6 lakhs OTR) then I'll prefer a hatch (with ABS and wider tyres) over the available sedans in that range. Strictly because the modern cars (the diesels in particular) are good enough to cruise at 100 plus. But to stop them reliably from that speed without dangerous skidding, ABS is a must (I am speaking from my own bad experiences).

If I have 8 to 9 lakhs to spend then I will buy a fully loaded sedan (diesel for me until the TSi and T-Jet become commonplace).

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 17th July 2009 at 14:56.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:00   #19
BHPian

However great the Hatch like a Jazz or an i20 , A Sedan is a Sedan ( not that this line makes any sense) , but I feel a Sedan makes you feel 'complete'
No offense to any Hatch's here but IMHO I would always choose a Sedan over a Hatch.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:02   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Premium Hatch any day. preferably a baby SUV/ crossover/ station wagon.
It is only in India that the general mindset seems to be that if you dont drive a 3 box sedan, then you haven't yet arrived in life - this seems to prompt people to go for 3 box more than hatches - just because it is a 3 box car.
look at the Swift Dzire - frankly I can safely say I havent seen an uglier, more ungainly car than that one!

Premium Hatches are definitely here to stay - they are certainly creating a whole new segment of consumers based on their "niche" offering and this is good, especially in a city like Bangalore where one faces a lot of traffic and parking woes.

with the advent of the newer hatches, the market will definitely experience better things!
Old 17th July 2009, 15:11   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
Lets get you to reconsider, Vahan Pujari. Bravo Hatchback or Linea Sedan? Lets assume price is not a criterion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Hey hey hey! Bravo isn't a premium hatch>

It's league ahead, a "super-hatch" may be.
he he he.. Pragmites, Thats a nice one.

And I agree with xPK. Bravo is leagues ahead, not a like-to-like comparison. GP E+ vs Linea E+ is a better comparison & my choice is Linea E+.

Even if Bravo comes in, I would think many a times before choosing it over Linea. Could happen only if it has to offer something 100-times better
Old 17th July 2009, 15:24   #22
BHPian

sedan all the way! for its space, safety (considering it has better safety features)and feel good factor!
But yes one should have a second small hatch or atleast a two wheeler in the house for those city errands, it becomes quite a task to take the sedan to the market for your daily needs as one would keep on looking for a decent parking place all the while.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
he he he.. Pragmites, Thats a nice one.

And I agree with xPK. Bravo is leagues ahead, not a like-to-like comparison. GP E+ vs Linea E+ is a better comparison & my choice is Linea E+.

Even if Bravo comes in, I would think many a times before choosing it over Linea. Could happen only if it has to offer something 100-times better
Super hatch/premium hatch is quibbling with words. The point is in India hatch by definition = more affordable. Jazz and 120 ( 1.4 auto) are the ones that are trying to change this mindset. If I get something like my first car ( not in India) a Pontiac Ventura V8 fully loaded hatchback, my vote would be for a hatchback. Until such time I guess its a sedan (read to-be-bought Linea)
Old 17th July 2009, 15:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

There are two aspects to consider:

1. Fully-loaded premium hatch & Sedan base-model
(Ex: G Punto Emotion+ and Linea Active).

I would choose Linea Active.

2. Fully-loaded premium hatch & fully-loaded Sedan
(Ex: G Punto Emotion+ and Linea Emotion+).

I would choose G Punto Emotion+.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:44   #25
BANNED

If budget is not a problem and if you have parking space at home, the best option would be a Base Version Hatchback (for city use) and a fully loaded Sedan (for highway). Otherwise if you live in a big city, a premium hatch makes sense. People from towns will be better off with Sedans. I prefer sedans not for the extra luggage space (how often do you actually load up the boot), but for the looks.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:45   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
There are two aspects to consider:

I would choose Linea Active.

I would choose G Punto Emotion+.
Thats quite a choice finneyp. Lemme guess where you're coming from...
is it right? but why 2 different logics, then?
Quote:

I would choose Linea Active.--- Here the logic is - sedan all the way, features do not matter.
Quote:

I would choose G Punto Emotion+.-- Here the logic is opposite - Features all the way, hatch or sedan does not matter.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:48   #27
BHPian

I would say for a city dweller like me who goes on long drive once in a while, buying a Sedan is waste of money. My 'boot' would remain empty 99% of the time, so why buy a sedan.
A premium hatch would anyhow give you a decent enough boot to carry 2 medium sized suitcases and 2 bags.

The Indian public has a craze for 'dikki'wali gari concept so Sedans are preferred more than the base hatches but with the advent of the super hatches or premium hatches as we say, practicality is with a hatch and not a sedan.

Yes if we have a large family who go out whenever possible they must have a big sedan.

I am giving more emphasis on the boot because the other criteria of a sedan and a hatch backs are amost equal except say for the engine power. Now we have even 100 bhp hatches so that difference is reduced too. The seating space for these super hatches and sedans are similar too.

My answer - Premuim hatch. Later if you have enough money buy a sedan for your long drives and keep using the hatch for city.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

VP, it is all about $$$ and VFM!

For 7.5 lacs, I can either buy a fully-loaded hatch or a Sedan base-model!
If I am not particular abt safety features, and getting more space, boot, snob-value of a sedan at the same price, will go for the sedan!

If I am hell-bent on the safety features (like ABS, Air-bags) and cannot spend more than 7.5 lacs on the new car, I would go for a fully-loaded hatch.

Hence, for me it mainly depends on $$$ and whether I need Safety features or not.

Last edited by finneyp : 17th July 2009 at 16:04.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:57   #29
JVH
Senior - BHPian

VP, Sorry but I couldn't resist. You are hell bent in finding out the people perception on Hatch/Sedan, aren't you? I remember reading a few posts of yours enquiring what is the popular choice in other countries as well.

No offense please!

I would prefer a sedan if it is apple to apple. What's harm in getting the extra space? Agree it would be problem in cities but I don't think it would be deal breaker.
Old 17th July 2009, 16:00   #30
BHPian

If there was a fully loaded ANHC or Civic (both don't exist today!), sedan any day over even the best loaded i20 Diesel

Among other things, I personally prefer all the luggage to be out of sight.

Last edited by pmbabu : 17th July 2009 at 16:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks