Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Premium Hatch Vs Fully-Loaded Sedan - Which one do you choose?
Premium Hatch 80 40.82%
Fully-Loaded Sedan 116 59.18%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 16:39   #61
BHPian

Man has evolved from apes, losing the tail.

Seriously, I prefer a hatch to a sedan, if the features are similar.Current day premium hatches are no different to the sedans in features or space. Even the boot compares well in some cases and hatches are definitely more practical.

It is just the image in some people's minds which doesn't matter much to me.
Old 18th July 2009, 16:43   #62
Senior - BHPian

This is very open ended question. Far too many variables.

Here is my answer:
for daily office commute:
Premium hatch. Easy to drive in traffic, ease of parking, no need to carry the useless boot daily to office. Actually given a choice i would pick the smallest and safest available premium hatch for this purpose.

for long drives:
loaded sedan makes sense if travelling with family and have to carry luggage. If i am again traveling alone in long drives, i don't need a sedan.

So my personal preference is a premium hatch, as a boot is of no special use given that i drive alone most of the times
Old 18th July 2009, 16:48   #63
BHPian

I would choose a sedan over a premium hatch any day because

1. Cost diffrence between a premium hatch and a decently loaded sedan is approximately 1 lakh or sometimes even less (e.g i20 asta is 6.5L on road and Aveo LT is 7L). I would pay that amount to travel comfortably.
2. Ego factor. Why pay a premium i.e close to say 7lakh and travel in a small car when you can go around in style by paying a bit extra and in some cases nothing extra.
3. Drivability in city. I feel it is more or less competancy based. And people around you driving do get a little wary or careful when they see a sedan rather than a hatch since they know that hatches can fit into little nooks and corners at signals.And as far as parking is concerned I feel now-a-days that enough parking is available in malls and markets to fit a sedan so I do not see that as a issue. Why I may avoid a crowded place would be the fact that it is crowded and not because I do not have a parking space so that rule will apply to both a sedan and a hatch.
Old 18th July 2009, 19:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

its the premium hatch for a city dweller like me. it will offer me more features & creature comforts than a sedan at that price range.
Old 18th July 2009, 21:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

I need a hatchback for bangalore city chaos . I do not mind paying extra for a premium hatch if it comes with a great engine and offers good space utilization. If Honda lauches Jazz with a 1.5 engine, it would be a great package for city use and occassional highway drives. Parking is the main issue I face with big cars in bangalore. I would any day prefer my Getz than our Scorpio for city usage.

I would love to have a Sedan also for highway use. But long drives are less now with two small kids and I cannot afford to maintain two cars.

I can live with only a Sedan if I move to a less crowded place, unlike bangalore.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 18th July 2009 at 22:00.
Old 19th July 2009, 01:45   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
If you're spending the same amount of money, you're bound to get a better quality car with more features if you buy a hatch compared to a sedan. (e.g. Swift v/s Indigo, i20 v/s Logan)
No, its not the same amount of money. Its Premium hatch & Fully-loaded sedan (not the Indigo's, Logan's etc). the assumption is you've to think from a typical buyer perspective with 2 assumptions - 1) you do not already have a sedan & 2) you do not have budget constraints for extra 1-2 Lacs that a fully-loaded sedan costs over premium hatch.

Now what will you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
In that case, I would look at two cars today: Ford Fiesta 1.6S and Fiat Grande Punto Multijet Emotion pack.
All along you've to forget that you already have a sedan. So, there is no trace of SX4 in mind .
But I know. Still it is GP, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I would any day prefer my Getz than our Scorpio for city usage.
There you go. Scorpio. Is it still there or made way for Getz?
Remember, the assumption is that you do not already have a sedan
Old 19th July 2009, 03:54   #67
BHPian

Definitely the sedan - a Ford Fiesta 1.6S, SX4, Linea or even the ANHC (priced a bit higher)

however I feel - this question really could mean different to different users and situations. for me - if i did not have any car - i would go for the sedan, but if i already had a sedan (as in my current situation) i would go in for a premium hatch - i20, punto.

so really depends on the requirements and existing situation.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:21   #68
BHPian

VP, u missed one of the biggest advantages of a sedan - as a status symbol. Personally, I prefer a sedan to a hatch. Yes, parking might be a bit of a problem in the city, but I think driving is not as big a problem as it looks. Several time in B2B traffic, I find the BEST buses keeping pace with me despite stopping at bus stops. After all, a hatch is not a 2-wheeler!

Also, I am enviable of those couple of guys here, who bought a used Cedia for 5L, when I have to put 6-7L in a hatch just because of family pressure :(
Old 19th July 2009, 19:26   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Definitely the sedan - a Ford Fiesta 1.6S, SX4, Linea or even the ANHC (priced a bit higher)

however I feel - this question really could mean different to different users and situations. for me - if i did not have any car - i would go for the sedan, but if i already had a sedan (as in my current situation) i would go in for a premium hatch - i20, punto.

so really depends on the requirements and existing situation.
Understandable. thats what the dilemma most here feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
VP, u missed one of the biggest advantages of a sedan - as a status symbol. Personally, I prefer a sedan to a hatch. Yes, parking might be a bit of a problem in the city, but I think driving is not as big a problem as it looks. Several time in B2B traffic, I find the BEST buses keeping pace with me despite stopping at bus stops. After all, a hatch is not a 2-wheeler!

Also, I am enviable of those couple of guys here, who bought a used Cedia for 5L, when I have to put 6-7L in a hatch just because of family pressure :(
How true. Couldn't agree more
Old 21st July 2009, 14:20   #70
BANNED

From the responses got so far, its evident that Premium Hatches are going to be a force to reckon with. Where will it imapct in terms of segment or customer profile? Based on the responses here, what I could deduce is as follows:
  • Those not already having a Fully Loaded Sedan & not constrained by that extra 1-2 Lacs budget for sedan, most likely would go for a fully-loaded sedan (of course there could be a few exceptions but seems to be very few).
  • Those already having a Fully-loaded sedan & not constrained by 1-2 lacs extra budget - sufficiently large chunk of these (around 60%?? or more?) would go for premium hatch instead of sedan. City driving ease, parking space, 2nd/3rd car in family & women driving are key decisive factors here.
  • Those who are constrained by budget i.e. in the range of 6 Lacs to max 7-7.5 Lacs - the choices they have are - Premium Hatch, Low-end Sedan, mid-range hatch. This probably would be the biggest segment for Premium hatches. Which means Low-end Sedans like Ikon, Accent, Indigo, Logan are in for serious competition & may probably look to lower the prices (is it possible??) to try to make it an irresistable proposition against premium hatches. Thats the only chance they could survive else ready for numbers to tumble down considerably
  • Those who are looking at mid-range hatch but can stretch the budget somewhat for premium hatch - this could be the 2nd biggest segment for premium hatches. Here, premium hatches will grow at the expense of mid-range hatches
These are strictly my observations - some based on responses on this thread, some based on my understanding.

What do you say, guys ?
Old 21st July 2009, 22:46   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
From the responses got so far,...
  • Those not already having a Fully Loaded Sedan ...
  • Those already having a Fully-loaded sedan ...
  • Those who are constrained by budget i...
  • Those who are looking at mid-range hatch ....
These are strictly my observations - some based on responses on this thread, some based on my understanding.

What do you say, guys ?

I think you have summarized it extremely well, I couldn't agree with you more!
Old 21st July 2009, 23:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
I think you have summarized it extremely well, I couldn't agree with you more!
Me neither.
My (supplimentary) thoughts with the usual disclaimer:
Those not already having a Fully Loaded Sedan ...(most buyers are retired/ reaching ready-to-retire age)

Those already having a Fully-loaded sedan ...(class D(?) sedan; Laura/Altis and above)

Those who are constrained by budget i...(age below 45, techno-gizmo guys, some NRIs all go Premium hatch. Above 45, businessmen, some NRIs go for low-end sedan)

Those who are looking at mid-range hatch (no comments, applicable to all types it seems).
Old 21st July 2009, 23:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

First a sedan then a hatch

According to me the first car should always be a saloon (sedan), they are as easy to use in the city as a hatch and they take care of all needs like luggage space for travel etc.

The second car may be a hatch esp. a hot hatch!

Cheers,
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:58   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
According to me the first car should always be a saloon (sedan), they are as easy to use in the city as a hatch and they take care of all needs like luggage space for travel etc.

The second car may be a hatch esp. a hot hatch!

Cheers,
Exactly my personal opinion also.

Actually, I'm more interested in the 3rd point above. Low-end Sedan like Ikon, Accent, Indigo, Logan etc really will have to face tough competition. Will they lower the price? is it affordable to them? In my mind, they'll have to if they want to remain in the market with decent numbers else will have to content with drastically reduced numbers - slowly but surely

Last edited by VahanPujari : 23rd July 2009 at 00:03.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:22   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
From the responses got so far, its evident that Premium Hatches are going to be a force to reckon with.
Without a doubt. If you look up the June 2009 sales analysis thread, the 4 - 6 lakh hatch segment is growing at the expense of C-segment sedans.

Quote:
Premium Hatch Vs Fully-Loaded Sedan - Which one do you choose?
I don't absolutely agree with the poll question. If we bring price into the picture, most premium hatches are priced on par with entry-level sedans (not fully loaded).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks