Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Premium Hatch Vs Fully-Loaded Sedan - Which one do you choose?
Premium Hatch 80 40.82%
Fully-Loaded Sedan 116 59.18%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 12:46   #1
BANNED

Premium Hatch Vs Fully-Loaded Sedan - which one do you choose?

With the advent of Premium Hatches like Honda Jazz, Fiat Grande Punto & Hyundai i20, the difference between Hatch & Sedan is narrowing. It seems these premium hatches are creating a new segment somewhere between a typical hatch & a sedan.

With this development in the market, the question is which one do you choose? - A Premium Hatch or a Sedan ?

IMO, the typical reasons or advantages of choosing a hatch or a sedan are as below (strictly my views, don't come after me for this. You can add/ remove any if you feel otherwise):

Premium Hatch:
  • Small, Compact. Easy to drive & maneuver in city
  • Easy to slot into parking space available
  • Cost advantage - around 1 Lac compared to "comparable" Sedan
Sedan (comparable to Premium Hatch in terms of loaded features)
  • 3 Box car with Boot - helps on holidays/ travelling
  • Safety - more stable on Highways
  • Safety - Bigger & Heavier - reduces impact on persons inside in case of eventualities
  • Better Ride & Handling
Fully Loaded features - this is common to both hence not taken above.

From a typical buyer perspective, following are the Assumption under which one has to choose:
  • No budget constraint for Sedan - i.e. budget of 7.5 lacs to 9/10 Lacs
  • This car should not be the 2nd car with an already existing Sedan present.
My choice is Sedan over Premium Hatch. Reasons being, I'm quite confident that I can drive a Sedan as easily as & with almost same manueverability as that of a Hatch. I also am quite confident on my parking & reversing ability. I also feel that 90 out of 100 times if you can park a Hatch in a particular space, you can park a sedan there also.

What always tilted my choice towards a Sedan is the Safety. Thats the biggest point for me because of Highway stability, More Weight, Likely less impact on passengers in accidents, better Ride & Handling etc etc

If you were to look from the typical buyer perspective (as mentioned above), which one do you choose ?

Last edited by VahanPujari : 17th July 2009 at 12:55.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:23   #2
BHPian

sedan of course, for more space, comfort, ride and handling. despite the auto market dynamics now a days, sedans still look premium IMHO
Old 17th July 2009, 13:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

VP - i cant vote for the simple fact that my answer is - it depends. Let me explain - currently i have two cars a 2002 Palio and a 2009 ANHC. I like both cars and i intend to keep a Hatch/Sedan combo. So when i plan to replace the Palio in another 2 years, i will still be replacing it with another Hatch. The convenience of a Hatch in a crowded city like Bangalore cant be beat.

Now, if you were to ask a different question - if you have to choose one car, which would you choose - i will say Sedan. I need the boot for my long trips.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:31   #4
BHPian

I too think it depends on personal usage.

I would certainly choose a hatch as most of the times driving is within the city with an outside trip once in a month or so.

@VP - I don't agree that sedans are more safe/stable than modern premium hatches.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its sedan for me. Just because of the space factor.......
Old 17th July 2009, 13:43   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a premium hatch for me as most of my driving is in the city and hatches are a lot more fuel efficient too!
Old 17th July 2009, 13:44   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
VP - i cant vote for the simple fact that my answer is - it depends. Let me explain - currently i have two cars a 2002 Palio and a 2009 ANHC. I like both cars and i intend to keep a Hatch/Sedan combo. So when i plan to replace the Palio in another 2 years, i will still be replacing it with another Hatch. The convenience of a Hatch in a crowded city like Bangalore cant be beat.

Now, if you were to ask a different question - if you have to choose one car, which would you choose - i will say Sedan. I need the boot for my long trips.
SkyWalker - Agreed. As mentioned, pls look at it from typical buyer perspective with those 2 assumption & then try to choose. I think you've already chosen it in your 2nd para.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
@VP - I don't agree that sedans are more safe/stable than modern premium hatches.
Try to compare like-to-like or Apple-to-Apple & in most cases you'll find comparable Sedans safer/ stable on highways
There could still be exceptions, no doubts
Old 17th July 2009, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Even though i think a hatch makes more sense in todays traffic, my heart always goes for a sedan and my Fav is Lancer

I like the traditional looks of the sedan rather than the recent modifications, i.e, i prefer the OHC rather than the ANHC

Last edited by jp2u : 17th July 2009 at 14:00.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Try to compare like-to-like or Apple-to-Apple & in most cases you'll find comparable Sedans safer/ stable on highways
There could still be exceptions, no doubts
May be I have not understood the criteria correctly, but this definitely does NOT sound like an apple to apple comparison, IF budget is not a factor. After all you get what you pay for (in most cases at least).

I guess if there can be a comparison it can be between fully-loaded, top end hatches with basic-entry level sedans. In majority of cases, this would be closer in terms of an apple-to-apple comparison.

Comparing a fully loaded hatch to a fully loaded sedan (with no pricing constraint) would at best be comparing local apples to "stickered washington apples".

PS - Off topic, but I love local apples, just hate it that a good local apple gets stickered into a washington apple
Old 17th July 2009, 14:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am a huge hatch fan. In my opinion, most of the hatches look a lot better than their sedan versions. Hatches to me look classier. There is nothing to beat a compact hatch which is powerful.

But, practicality wise, sedans are better obviously. On any given day, I would like to have the classiness of a hatch and the practicality of a sedan. Estates, where are you all? Calling Fiat Adventure, Skoda Octavia Combi. Heck, even Baleno Altura and Corsa Swing! Plus point is that they could come in some exotic colours which will not go good on sedans. Just like hatches...
Old 17th July 2009, 14:21   #11
BHPian

Lets get you to reconsider, Vahan Pujari. Bravo Hatchback or Linea Sedan? Lets assume price is not a criterion.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:27   #12
BHPian

Depends on the car. I would pick up any car that suits me. I would always go for a safe-comfortable-hi-performance-spacious car. I don't care much about Sedan or Hatch.
At his point though, why spend 10 lacs on a car? How about this? Wait for a couple of years and get a used Punto/Linea/Aveo/Aveo-UVA/Soon to be launched Polo/<insert more non Maruti-Hyundai/Honda cars> for less than 3.5 lacs?
Or buy a used Optra for 5? No hatch, and no car in the Linea/ANHC segments is a better deal than a used Optra for 5-6.

Last edited by e1t1bet : 17th July 2009 at 14:31.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:35   #13
xPK
BHPian

Ummmmm. My heart says "Sedan", but my mind says "Hatch" (so does my pocket ) So if price is not the constraint, it's definitely a powerfull and fully loaded "sedan" (is somebody there to gift me one? again )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
Lets get you to reconsider, Vahan Pujari. Bravo Hatchback or Linea Sedan? Lets assume price is not a criterion.
Hey hey hey! Bravo isn't a premium hatch>

It's league ahead, a "super-hatch" may be.

Last edited by xPK : 17th July 2009 at 14:41. Reason: adding more comments
Old 17th July 2009, 14:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to fully loaded sedan. Space factor and the fact that I already have a hatch so I know what I miss, sometimes.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:47   #15
BHPian

My choice would be a premium hatch. With increasing traffic congestions and parking issues, I would prefer a small but powerful car (hatch). It is with this in mind I had bought my Getz 1.3 in 2005 but it really wasnt a premium hatch as I expected it to be. The i20 CRDI, Jazz seems to fit the premium hatch bill perfectly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks