Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 19:59   #16
BHPian

Oops guys, sorry i forgot to mention the price. All these features for 5.97 Lakhs, thats about the same price as that of base model of Aveo 2009 edition.

All in all it would be about 7.10 Lakhs on road in Bangalore. I do not know the breakup's. This is the price I heard from Kropex Bangalore.
Old 18th July 2009, 21:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I think the 'Limited' bit is the price at 6 lakhs which when compared to a base model Ford Fiesta 1.6 EXI is superb because the latter does not include ABS, EBD, leather or airbags! Makes the Aveo even more VFM along with the 3 year Chevy Promise.

also, i feel that the aveo is quite an under-rated car. true, its not got the power of the verna or the handling of the fiesta, but its got the features, looks & comfort. i feel if it had the 'H' badge (vertical or slanted!) on the grille instead of the bowtie, it would have been more successful.

i hope the limited edition face some success.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

I surely think that the Aveo deserves more attention. When I test drove the car last time It had one of the most silent cabins in its class. Also the interiors are awesome. The second time updated gearshift while not the best is now as good as most.

The foul parts for me were, the glovebox fouled with my knees. Also getting out was a pain.

For the price and proper promotions I am sure they can sell a few hundred.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I surely think that the Aveo deserves more attention. When I test drove the car last time It had one of the most silent cabins in its class. Also the interiors are awesome. The second time updated gearshift while not the best is now as good as most.
Agree with you. Aveo is a nice car with interiors more silent than any other car in its class. I think the NVH levels are in league of Altis/Civic class. Ride while not the best, is nice too. Space wise also the car is good.

Now if they are offering these " new " features at a price lower than earlier, I feel the sales will rise. Although its one generation old, sitting inside the car and driving makes one feel that this is not an old car.
Its designed for cruising on highways without any drama and the silent interiors help in achieving this target.

GM also has tried to keep the cost of spares low, so overall with all the features and a lower cost, this car is a VFM deal.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

The biggest problem which brands other than Japanese cars face is image.

9/10 people worry about resale before buying the car. They are ready to let go of creature comforts if a better resale is guranteed. ANd better resale means Maruti, hyundai or Honda.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:31   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just the other day, I was wondering where GM's special editions are (remember the Astra & Optra variants?!). Good to know they're wide awake on that count . Nice list of features for a sub 6 lakh price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
The reason is
  • Trust in the brand
  • The future value of the investment
  • The service they are providing for the product.
I wouldn't entirely agree. If these three were the only limitations to GM's success in India, the Spark would never sell the kind of numbers it's currently managing (2500 - 3500 a month).

The Aveo's problem is the lack of a USP. It performs on a mediocre to above average level on most counts, and doesn't really excel in one area. Now, that's okay for a Dzire coming from a brand that commands 45% of the Indian market. But for GM to draw customers to the Aveo, it needs a USP. Look at the Fiesta : It did well on the 1.4 diesel fuel-efficient engine. Or the Indigo with its space, value price and economy. The only way for GM to revive the Aveo will be via a common-rail diesel.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am an Aveo owner for 3 years, so far I was not writing anything favorable to this product I bought, the main reason if the after sales service - locally. While they promise to fix an issue, they never do it.
Regarding the car, you will find it difficult with the gear shifts - even my Old santro was better. This car never comes close to its rivals in this segment, the engine is also not responsive at times.

BUT,

There are few good things which I must point out here for those who is ignoring this car.

This is a great highway car - high speed control is great, I have raced with Fiesta, Skoda, Jetta, Scorpios and even with a Land rover. I never find any difficulty in high speeds.

Nice breaks: Even without an ABS, I am very happy with its breaks.

No cabin noise: You won't feel the engine noise and roads inside the car. However, while reaching 140+kms you can feel the engine roaring. But I think this is common with most of the cars.

Loaded with features: - Except climate control and Steering mounted Audio controls, I do not think it misses any features.

Smooth suspensions: - The rear seat is comfortable and many who sat on the back seats said that they didn't find any shakes.

Best in class interiors: - Needless to say, that no other car comes such great interiors, you will certainly feel one segment above.

Low maintenance - I have not spent anything other than what regular service costs should be. Its a non-problematic car.

I am sure your family will like it (for the same reason I bought it), But not for the drivers, who likes to drive much. I also do not find any good reason for its poor resale value, I believe still the Opel Image is continuing Chevrolet too.

Sorry, I forget to add this.
Last week I changed the Air filters to K&N, and I could easily see the performance difference. The sluggishness in the lower RPM (in 2nd to 3rd gear shifts) has gone to my Surprise.

Any Aveo, City, SX4, Fiesta, Verna - petrol car owners added K&N before?

Quote:
The biggest problem which brands other than Japanese cars face is image.

9/10 people worry about resale before buying the car. They are ready to let go of creature comforts if a better resale is guranteed. ANd better resale means Maruti, hyundai or Honda.
I agree with you. I am that one guy who didn't bother about the resale, But I am facing the issue now.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th July 2009 at 18:42. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 10:55   #23
BHPian

I think GM is just doing this in order to clear the remaining stock of Aveo !!!
Let's see what is the manufacturing date of these Limited Edition Aveo ???
Old 20th July 2009, 11:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Sorry, I forget to add this.
Last week I changed the Air filters to K&N, and I could easily see the performance difference. The sluggishness in the lower RPM (in 2nd to 3rd gear shifts) has gone to my Surprise.

Any Aveo, City, SX4, Fiesta, Verna - petrol car owners added K&N before?
Thats a good news. I was thinking of trying, but never did. I remember one person in this forum who had Aveo changed with K&N and gave good feedback. But he sold the car in less than a year and went abroad.
Old 20th July 2009, 18:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I agree with you. I am that one guy who didn't bother about the resale, But I am facing the issue now.
You never sell a car in 2-3 years if you buy an American car. I have seen American cars in Toronto go on like forever while the jap cars falter in a few years.

My WagonR is now 10 years old and we are planning to change purely on the fact that it doesnt have a power steering and has hardened over the years. Also the lack of features make it outdated.

why sell if nothing is wrong with the car?
Old 20th July 2009, 22:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Oops guys, sorry i forgot to mention the price. All these features for 5.97 Lakhs, thats about the same price as that of base model of Aveo 2009 edition.

All in all it would be about 7.10 Lakhs on road in Bangalore. I do not know the breakup's. This is the price I heard from Kropex Bangalore.
This price is for the base version which does not have ABS, driver Airbag etc. 1.4 LT with ABS will have all these featuers, but OTR in Bangalore is about 7.7 after discounts. Is it worth for this price considering GM status in India?
Old 20th July 2009, 22:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
This price is for the base version which does not have ABS, driver Airbag etc. 1.4 LT with ABS will have all these featuers, but OTR in Bangalore is about 7.7 after discounts. Is it worth for this price considering GM status in India?
My opinion is, it is worth for that price. agbenny has neatly summarized what you can expect from this vehicle. If its acceptable to you then it would be more than worth. As far as the A.S.S in bangalore is considered, I have serviced both in Vijay & sundaram. Found no issues with their service.

There is also 2 more service center in Bangy. I for sure think GM is taking things seriously in India. We had just 2 Dealers for years in Bangy and now I see 4 (1 only for service).

Hope it helps.

Again, it depends on one more factor. Resale value. If you are interested for a good resale, then think twice.
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Thats a good news. I was thinking of trying, but never did. I remember one person in this forum who had Aveo changed with K&N and gave good feedback. But he sold the car in less than a year and went abroad.
Today, I completed my 35K service, spent around 12K. I know its too much, But I had a very bad front suspension issue and also poor clutch. Both seems to be solved now, drove around 15KMS after service. I am sure this K&N stuff is working well, I could see the difference more after the service. I will post after 15 to 30 days in this thread.

Quote:
You never sell a car in 2-3 years if you buy an American car. I have seen American cars in Toronto go on like forever while the jap cars falter in a few years.

My WagonR is now 10 years old and we are planning to change purely on the fact that it doesnt have a power steering and has hardened over the years. Also the lack of features make it outdated.

why sell if nothing is wrong with the car?
Your question strikes me. :-), you are right!, My wife asks me the same Question. One major reason I dislike this car is the gear shifts and it doesn't accommodate my legs well. This car is not for tall boys. I gave importance to the looks and family opinions, and now suffering with this. Also i am jealous if the gear shifts of other cars in the same segment.

I've used this car for 3 years, and since the EMIs/loans are getting over, I thought I will move to some SUVs - though I know its not a good reason to sell. :-)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd July 2009 at 18:38. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Dikhave pe mat jao, apni akal lagao. (the ad from sprite.)

On a serious note, I understand that GM did something with the gearbox twice during the last few years. The last time I drove the 1.6LT the gearbox was butter smooth but not precise enough. Overall it was something not up there with the best but pretty comparable.

You can try to check with GM whether your car has been upgraded or not. I know Tata motors does the upgradation most of the times. Now is the best time as GM is trying to push their goody image a lot. Dont call the dealer but the company straight away. Say you are looking to buy the Optra or something but are worried about the gearbox issue and would like to get it solved.

Also I am aware of the leg space issue. I drove the car and was also sitting on the passenger side. My knees touched the glovebox ( meaning I cannot open it ) and I had to spread my legs a bit while driving. But we are still considering it coz my mom has a problem with noise and Aveo had the most sound cabin and has the best rear seat she found comfortable.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 22nd July 2009 at 18:19.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:39   #30

I am also an Aveo owner (bought the 1.4 limited edition in May08). Initially I found the gearshift as smooth as other good cars and liked the responsive steering and look. After clocking 3500 Km, I found that the gearshift started giving me trouble as sometimes I was confused whether I am at neutral or at 1st gear. Earlier the gears were more flexible in supporting me to apply 3rd gear from 2nd in pushing my hands to come to centre (neutral), but I was missing this facility these days. Sometimes I was unable to apply the reverse gear as it get Jammed somewhere and to apply this gear I had to push the car a little forward by applying first gear.
With all these complaints, I visited the workshop where they surprisingly put oil (Mobil) to free the gears, but I found my gearshift even worst. I don’t want to make fresh complaint as the workshop is 16-18 Km far from my place and more due to the people were found too busy in taking care of me and I did not find any special person as an expert assigned for AVEO in my earlier visits.
I want to change my gearbox. Please help.
Else I am planning to sell my car and switch over to Fiet Linea.
I liked the other features of the car except the music system which is not much responsive. I had put a complaint but to no avail as I was told that it was a part of Limited Edition package.
The new AVEO 1.6 special edition which I have seen in the showroom has got a new and smaller size of gear with better look (I can not comment on its performance). The music system is also a new one which was not available in 2008 Limited edition.
As an overall package, the Aveo is a good car as it is available at an affordable price of rs 5,97,000. The car has sitting comforts with classy interiors and ride quality. The engine sound inside the cabin is very low and sometimes I doubts whether the engine is stop.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th August 2009 at 17:07. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid using external font editors like word and then cut paste. thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks