Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which Premium-Hatch will you buy?
Fiat Punto - 1.4 FIRE 169 50.45%
Hyundai I20 - 1.2 Kappa 101 30.15%
Maruti Ritz - 1.2 65 19.40%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 21:34   #76
BHPian

By now I guess we have more Punto and i20 owners in team-bhp.

So whats is the final say? i20 or Punto?

Iam stuck between the two. I need ride comfort, good a/c, power and mileage in the order. Suggest the best for me.

Hows the Tata service for Fiat by the way ? Has anyone had any bad experiences?
Old 15th September 2009, 21:44   #77
BHPian

Sam, Based on your requirements I like to suggest Honda Jazz.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:53   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You have road presence when driving a Punto, while every other car is a Swift VDi. Swift has lost its specialty. Punto won't lose it because it will always sell in quite less numbers than Marutis and Hyundais. I like it that way.
Punto will not lose it's charm and speciality even if it sells 25,000 units/month. The car has a timeless design, something which Japanese and Korean cars can't even imagine. A few months from now the i20 will look dated. People will still be turning back and giving the Punto 3-4-5 looks 5 years from now. Proof: The Palio still makes heads turn today.

Quote:
And yes, if it was Maruti Punto , the waiting period will be easier counted in years than months. There will be a black market too, like the movie tickets are sold when they are released.
And people would be raving over it's solidly built interiors too.

Quote:
the Swift has not lost its charm. Moreover, it will keep its charm for a long time. Such a superior design it is.
Looks are subjective. We could argue about which car looks better all year and still not conclude anything. I respect that you love the Swift's looks. I don't. Never have.
Old 15th September 2009, 23:02   #79
BHPian

Punto beats i20 fair and square in all the mechanical departments
(engine, ride, handling, features, power).

You probably expect the smaller engined 1.2L I20 to have better mileage. But it's managing only around 10/11kmpl in city. The Punto 1.4 would easily match that.

TATA-Fiat service: Well spares are dead cheap and so will be servicing & total-cost-of ownership. Only sore point is how trained TATA guys are on Fiat cars. There is big room for improvement for them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

So whats is the final say? i20 or Punto?

Iam stuck between the two. I need ride comfort, good a/c, power and mileage in the order. Suggest the best for me.

Hows the Tata service for Fiat by the way ? Has anyone had any bad experiences?
Old 15th September 2009, 23:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Looks are subjective. We could argue about which car looks better all year and still not conclude anything. I respect that you love the Swift's looks. I don't. Never have.
Swift has a such a fat rear still the back seat is cramped. The car starts rattling after 3 months.
Old 16th September 2009, 00:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......... People will still be turning back and giving the Punto 3-4-5 looks 5 years from now. Proof: The Palio still makes heads turn today.
I respect that you love the Swift's looks. I don't. Never have.
I can vouchsafe for the first statement - My Palio gets more second looks thsn my 'other' car which is a good 2 to 3 segments above the Palio.

The Mini part of the Swift (particularly above the waistline) is the only part I like.

Cheers,
Old 20th November 2009, 12:57   #82
BANNED

I woul say Ritz is a lot better considering after sales service, features.
Old 27th November 2009, 00:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

In my highly personal opinion i feel comparing Punto with i20 & Ritz makes sense as they fall in similar price band and are all newly launched cars which keeps Swift, Vista, Getz, Aveo UVA, Fabia and Jazz away from the comparison. If you think A.S.S and slightly better engine is all that you want then Ritz is the one to go for and if you compare product to product the Punto is way ahead then the rest two. I feel i20 is a kind of Jack of all Master of NONE!!
Old 27th November 2009, 00:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Dude, i just pointed out that comparing 1.2L and 1.4L performance wise would be unfair. That's it. No need to jump on any conclusions.

And I already know what your intentions are. No guessing business here.
If that was meant to be sarcastic, then it has no place here. Why don't you just think about what you get for what you pay? Is such a simple thing, so hard to understand? If the same amount of money buys you the Punto with a 1.4 and an i20 with a 1.2, why will you grudge that?
Old 27th November 2009, 01:01   #85
BHPian

Hello All

I am new to the Forum.just got my access today. Thanks to the Moderators. looks like an interesting thread. I would have to vote for the Grand punto 1.4 Fire. Simple reasons being new styling,Handling and safety. Fiats are built to last.I guess the active variant for punto being the 1.2 ltr version would be just to enter the Basic hatchback category. now people wil not have a reason to say that the punto is expensive when considering most of the competition. Its just my take on things.
Old 27th November 2009, 01:42   #86

Question ?

Does everyone see a pattern here, I mean pattern between poll results and monthly sales of these vehicles?

As per current poll results --
Punto >>>>> I20 > Ritz

As per montly sales data
Ritz > I20 >>>>> Punto

I assume the poll was, to chose among these 'premium' hatch, which you like to buy and might suggest to anyone else(regular buyer)
Most of the people buy car based upon best VFM in their perception.
Doesn't that mean there is a disconnect between the understanding of VFM for of regular buyer and people who have voted here?

And please do not start bashing the 'general public' stating they are fools and follow 'herd mentallity', because if that is the case how can any new product be successfull. Even in auto industry we have so many success stories i.e. M800, Santro, Indica, Qualis, Swift (I wish next is nano) and not all of these became successful only because of 'low price'
Old 27th November 2009, 11:08   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauhanatul View Post
Does everyone see a pattern here, I mean pattern between poll results and monthly sales of these vehicles?
And please do not start bashing the 'general public' stating they are fools and follow 'herd mentallity', because if that is the case how can any new product be successfull. Even in auto industry we have so many success stories i.e. M800, Santro, Indica, Qualis, Swift (I wish next is nano) and not all of these became successful only because of 'low price'
Well, 'herd mentality' is definitely a factor and that has to do with the Indian car buying junta going for the brand rather than the car. So in this case Hyundai instead of Fiat. Worry not, I say that Hyundai did its job well initially to pave the way for future products and Fiat messed up. However, as a car, the Punto is a superior machine than the i20 in my opinion. I have recommended the Punto to people close to me and they are happy with the decision.
That along with the fact that 5 years down the line, people wouldn't look even once at the i20 while the Punto will continue to attract second looks. I mean all one needs to do is "look" at the car and if one actually wants a good car (to me the plastics might be an irritant but ever a deal breaker or maker).
Old 27th November 2009, 14:24   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Well, 'herd mentality' is definitely a factor and that has to do with the Indian car buying junta going for the brand rather than the car. So in this case Hyundai instead of Fiat. Worry not, I say that Hyundai did its job well initially to pave the way for future products and Fiat messed up. However, as a car, the Punto is a superior machine than the i20 in my opinion. I have recommended the Punto to people close to me and they are happy with the decision.
That along with the fact that 5 years down the line, people wouldn't look even once at the i20 while the Punto will continue to attract second looks. I mean all one needs to do is "look" at the car and if one actually wants a good car (to me the plastics might be an irritant but ever a deal breaker or maker).
Looks are subjective, So do not want to comment on that, frankly I never liked the looks of swift but it has done well and as per buying junta, it's looks factor has a lot to do with it. And I am not sure how many people buy the car based upon the fact that how well it look after 5 years after buying as compared to looks of similar other model.
As far as I am concerned, while buying I will consider Punto, I20 and Ritz, and might even go with Punto. But while suggesting to someone else (i.e. my parents or some other friends from the smaller cities where not many options for Fiat A.S.&S) I will definitely not suggest Punto because for those people a trouble free running of a vehicle(read Good A.S & S, easily available mechanics) is much bigger a factor than driving pleasure and/or some minor features(i.e. cooled glovebox, Blue & me).
And I believe this is the factor why Punto, despite being a good machine is not doing good in market. And unless Fiat builds it's own A.S.&S/dealor network, and put some years of hard work it will remain the same story. And I seriously believe that building a good car takes less time and effort as compared to building faith(brand or A.S&S) which Hyundai and Maruti has done.
Old 27th November 2009, 14:57   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Punto beats i20 fair and square in all the mechanical departments
(engine, ride, handling, features, power).
A car is not only about the mechanicals. After sales and spare part availability are equally important parameters for the owner.
BTW i20 beats the Punto lock, stock, and barrel in interior fit and finish too.

Quote:
People will still be turning back and giving the Punto 3-4-5 looks 5 years from now. Proof: The Palio still makes heads turn today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I can vouchsafe for the first statement - My Palio gets more second looks thsn my 'other' car which is a good 2 to 3 segments above the Palio.
Anything which sells less makes heads turn. See a Padmini on roads today, people will notice it too.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:47   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Anything which sells less makes heads turn.
I don't think the Logan, Versa or Fusion make heads turn. No offence to any of those owners but looks are not the plus point of any of those car. If people turn their heads to look at the Padmini, it is for reasons other than head-turning looks.

Most Viewed