Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which Premium-Hatch will you buy?
Fiat Punto - 1.4 FIRE 169 50.45%
Hyundai I20 - 1.2 Kappa 101 30.15%
Maruti Ritz - 1.2 65 19.40%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 18:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Having driven the i20 1.2 and Punto 1.4, I would put my money on the Punto Emotion Pk as it has more gizmos and a more powerful engine.
Old 19th July 2009, 09:40   #17
BHPian

ACC, Multi-Information display, seat-adjust, telescopic steering, elec-foldable mirrors, USB player, Blue & me and the like ... to give a modern feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

4) Features/gadgets: What do you mean by this, can you elaborate ?
Old 19th July 2009, 09:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Performance in general. Whether it gives a powerful feel or not (mostly going by bhp and engine capacity).
This comparison is only for manual transmission i20 1.2. No point including an Automatic here: Its way costlier and also low in FE
Sir, was low FE claimed by anyone on this forum for i20 automatic? How was that concluded here?

I see that the poll conveniently ignores GP 1.2 (which will get a score of zero) and the only car that provides the convenience of automatic, the i20 1.4.

May I ask if this poll is created to see good results for GP 1.4?
Old 19th July 2009, 10:29   #19
BHPian

If GP 1.4 is coming out to be an overall better selection, why should you be bothered?
There are enough people who are voting for i20 1.2 (shows that they have higher weightage on maybe interior looks, A$$ etc over engine power, ride quality).
Someone who wants an easier-to-drive & max.mileage car is probably voting for Ritz.
I have included all aspects (possibly) that a car-buyer in this segment is looking at. And given credit where it's due.

This poll is for the general buyer and not for niche buyers like i20 automatic/Jazz. Ofcourse you cannot compare automatics with manual cars (they are more expensive) and its a known fact that Automatics have less mileage than manuals. Checkout i10 Auto's mileage of 8kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Sir, was low FE claimed by anyone on this forum for i20 automatic? How was that concluded here?

I see that the poll conveniently ignores GP 1.2 (which will get a score of zero) and the only car that provides the convenience of automatic, the i20 1.4.

Last edited by neotraveller : 19th July 2009 at 10:35.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would choose none.

Hence no vote for either. For me the best hatch is the M800.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
1) seat-adjust,
2) telescopic steering,
3) elec-foldable mirrors,
4) USB player,
5) Blue & me and the like
1) All of them have seat adjust. Even Maruti 800 does have seat adjust. So no positive point or negative point for anyone.

2) You mean to say the steering adjustable for both reach and height ( rake ), right ? But IIRC Punto is not having adjustment for reach, its just height ( rake ) adjustment.

3) Which hatch out of the three has this ? Electrical adjustment might be there but not fold-ability option.

4) USB player, a thing I never consider a feature. I am not into In Car Entertainment, for me ICE is under the bonnet.

5) Cant say this is a positive point.

IMHO, you should have attached a copy where you list down all the features for all the cars. This would also make for a ready reference.

For me the features like electrically folding mirrors, blue and me, USB player are not positive points. Later on maintenance can also go up with these equipments, I mean if the mirrors are damaged they can be expensive. This would reduce the VFM proposition for me. VFM package is the one that also has less maintenance.

I love very simple automobiles, the place where I can sit comfortable, with good safety, powertrain and chassis ( ride and handling ).

So for features :
4) Features : Ritz > I20 > Punto.

PS : The above are my preferences which are a bit odd I know but that is what I feel.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 19th July 2009 at 10:57.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:31   #22
ashwinpak

Quote:
For me the features like electrically folding mirrors, blue and me, USB player are not positive points. Later on maintenance can also go up with these equipments, I mean if the mirrors are damaged they can be expensive. This would reduce the VFM proposition for me. VFM package is the one that also has less maintenance.
Very very funny. How about one without an engine, so you have zero maintanence. No oil change, no air filter, no fuel filter. A bullock cart did you say?

Note from mod : If you have a point to make please state it in a factual manner and avoid sarcasm and ridiculing. Thank you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th July 2009 at 17:20. Reason: Please see the note in the bottom of your post.

Old 19th July 2009, 11:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I love very simple automobiles, the place where I can sit comfortable, with good safety, powertrain and chassis ( ride and handling ).

So for features :
4) Features : Ritz > I20 > Punto.
That's exactly the point of this thread IMO. For you some bells and whistles aren't important but for some they may be deal breakers. Give points for each aspect of the car and then vote. As simple as that.

Let's keep the healthy discussion going.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
Very very funny. How about one without an engine, so you have zero maintanence. No oil change, no air filter, no fuel filter. A bullock cart did you say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
That's exactly the point of this thread IMO. For you some bells and whistles aren't important but for some they may be deal breakers. Give points for each aspect of the car and then vote. As simple as that.

Let's keep the healthy discussion going.
I have already voted for the Ritz because overall, I feel its better than Punto. My preferences are a bit odd, but thats it. Rather than offering features, I appreciate core things being done in right way. Certain fearutes to me are of no use, so I am not interested in them.
The reason why Ritz gets my vote are clear :
1) Good motor.
2) Maruti A.S & S.
3) Good space.
4) VFM ( IMO ).
5) Not a bit odd to drive.

Please again these are the reasons why I voted for Ritz. Nothing offensive towards any car/car manufacturer/car owner.

I have not posted offensive against any car or manufacturer. So please lets not convert this into a war, ashwin.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 19th July 2009 at 12:03.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
I think thats common sense. Every automatic gives low FE than a manual tranny. i20 manual gives around 10-11 in city so would you expect 7-9 in city or 13-15 in city?
Quote:

The lowest trim of i20 P costs 480000 which is comparable to lowest trim 506000 of Punto (ex showroom delhi), dont know how you can straightaway jump to 1.4 auto with price tag of 731000. If you want Punto 1.2 it is almost 1L less than the i20 1.2. I am sure tha thread creator has kept price in mind while comparin all cars. If for 20k you get a 1.4 engine in a Punto why crib over it?

Quote:
Dont know the reason. If YES why are you worrying? 44 people have already voted and the results will come up soon. For 1 thread praising Punto 5 are there to bash it, dont worry.

Quote:
For me the features like electrically folding mirrors, blue and me, USB player are not positive points. Later on maintenance can also go up with these equipments, This would reduce the VFM proposition for me. VFM package is the one that also has less maintenance.

PS : The above are my preferences which are a bit odd I know but that is what I feel.

Okay, i think in this era where cars are coming feature loaded with so many things, i really think Maruti makes cars especially for you. Made for each other types. Is it your prioerity that it should have minimum of such features when buying a car or just for the sake of this poll?
Old 19th July 2009, 12:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
1) Okay, i think in this era where cars are coming feature loaded with so many things, i really think Maruti makes cars especially for you. Made for each other types.
2) Is it your prioerity that it should have minimum of such features when buying a car or just for the sake of this poll?
What should I consider this post as ? Offensive one ?
We are talking about replacement for Baleno since more than one year now. The car is not replaced. Why ? We are not able to spot a car that matches our needs.

1) I dont want a car that is so intelligent that I will have to die because of inferiority complex. Features, etc. are all fine, but then they forget to put in one thing well, and that one thing is good powertrain.
In the Indian market, I have observed that if a car is not strong in powertrain department, the manufacturer will end up adding features. Even Corolla altis is one of the cars. Its overall not a great bold step ahead, so they had to add features and sell it at a lower price.

2) Our current cars are baleno and M800. You get that I will put my money where my mouth is. Both the cars are not very high on features that they will tell me about a phone call 1 day before I get it. Relatively they are simple machines and match our requirements well.
Also one of the major reasons why I vote for Maruti is A.S & S.

One more thing. I have observed that even my non offensive posts are taken negatively. I request others to avoid it. I am not here for a war.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What should I consider this post as ? Offensive one ?
Not at all, just asked you a few questions, you replied, thanks for that.

Quote:
In the Indian market, I have observed that if a car is not strong in powertrain department, the manufacturer will end up adding features.
Add to that, if a car is strong in powertrain manufacturer cuts on the features making it look like it loses on this account to even much cheaper cars.

Quote:
Our current cars are baleno and M800. You get that I will put my money where my mouth is. Both the cars are not very high on features that they will tell me about a phone call 1 day before I get it.
Also one of the major reasons why I vote for Maruti is A.S & S.
So put your money in your mouth man, whos stopping your hand? When Baleno was launched i dont think any other car in that price range was eveb having that features, did you have choice? M800, leave it its a special case.

Quote:
One more thing. I have observed that even my non offensive posts are taken negatively. I request others to avoid it. I am not here for a war.
Why do you think that? I just wanted to ask you that have you changed your preference because Maruti makes such cars (you love MASS) or it was the same from beginning. That reply looked a bit funny and unique i havent read it in a long time.

Am not here for a war too, normal discussion.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 19th July 2009 at 12:36.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:39   #28
BHPian

Personally, I'll prefer none of these 3 and go for i10 Kappa. Saves a lot of money without sacrificing too much of comforts/features.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which hatch out of the three has this ? Electrical adjustment might be there but not fold-ability option.
Hyundai i20.

Quote:
For me the features like electrically folding mirrors, blue and me, USB player are not positive points.
Would you say the same if Maruti had introduced Blue&Me?

Quote:
Later on maintenance can also go up with these equipments, I mean if the mirrors are damaged they can be expensive.
What about power windows?
Old 19th July 2009, 13:25   #30
BANNED

Voted for i20 1.2 . I would like to know why Punto 1.2 is not taken in this poll instead of 1.4?

Like every other thread, is some segments of people always wants to see the Punto Leads in polls? Common Change the Punto in this poll to 1.2 and see the results.

Quote:
The purpose of this thread is to help the average buyer choose the best premium-hatch (P), within a reasonable budget.
Are you trying to fool the average buyer? by comparing 1.4 and 1.2 , if not first close this thread and start a new poll for all cars with 1.2 engine. also include Jazz 1.2.

Regarding the budget let the users decides that.. and don't take a decision behalf of them

Last edited by wildon : 19th July 2009 at 13:33.

Most Viewed