Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2005, 13:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
i wonder why every forum ends in a pro petra or anti-petra fight?aren't there any other good cars made in india.
Most of the other cars made in India are better.
Old 29th June 2005, 14:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
@steer, it would be good if you can put IMHO before that comment. Most others seem to differ from your opinion.
Old 29th June 2005, 14:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
The price would have been ideal at 5L, even though it is a steal at 6L.
on my visit for a baleno test drive 2 days back the sales man quoted 5.04lacs ex for the baleno VXI ..now that is a steal !
Old 29th June 2005, 14:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
@steer, it would be good if you can put IMHO before that comment. Most others seem to differ from your opinion.
@RX - I dont see IMHOs when those opinions are posted

5,903 Indigos, a model cheaper than the Petra in that segment, were sold in the first two months of this financial year.

5,330 Accents, a model comparable to the Petra in price, were sold in the first two months of this financial year.

6,371 Honda Citys, a model that is significantly costlier than the Petra and is classified in a higher segment despite being similar, were sold in the first two months of this financial year.

An 'estimated' 118 Petras were sold in the same period. This is the market's opinion.

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th June 2005 at 14:52.
Old 29th June 2005, 15:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An 'estimated' 118 Petras were sold in the same period. This is the market's opinion.
We all know why that's the situation don't we?

Some are defensive of the Petra, while other's defend the Accent. Best not to take the argument any further.
Old 29th June 2005, 15:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

5,903 Indigos, a model cheaper than the Petra in that segment, were sold in the first two months of this financial year.

5,330 Accents, a model comparable to the Petra in price, were sold in the first two months of this financial year.

6,371 Honda Citys, a model that is significantly costlier than the Petra and is classified in a higher segment despite being similar, were sold in the first two months of this financial year.

Well, you are going over the top aren't you Steer? The statement you made was that -

Quote:
Which is true as far as sales is concerned. It would be nice if you clarify that. Because while you may have a point that Fiats have a biased set of supporters here, you are doing no better by taking another extreme view. Just my HO, BTW.
Old 29th June 2005, 15:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33

But to be honest I never said anything about Baleno & Accent
Thats why i added a bit more info. about the two so that if design is a consideration, then people will know that the Ikon, baleno and Accent are pretty much as outdated as each other.

Baleno for 5L? Maruti is getting carried away with all these price cuts. But we don't mind.

Another question to liven up the debate further...which c segment car has the best resale value?

And about Fiat... lets not get into that any further.
Old 29th June 2005, 17:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking about opinions on this forum. Though there are Fiat company bashers around, no one really thinks that Fiat cars are bad. Fiat cars take a beating when it comes to company stability and perceived A/S/S. If a car is sold more in India, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best car. I am sure most of those Indigos were Diesel ones.

Going by merits of a car, Petra can leave most other cars in that segment behind, whether it is ride quality/solid build/safety OR FE, which is not exactly its fort.

Last edited by RX135 : 29th June 2005 at 17:50.
Old 29th June 2005, 19:41   #54
BHPian

About the launch of skoda fabia: I read in the website dancewiththeshadows.com quoting some top brass of Skoda india saying " the fabia and Octavia II will be launched in october 2005". There is still time, but there is no update to that news.

Btw fabia 2005 is the internationa model and that is already on sale in europe. same with octavia also. So there wont be a new model for 2006 i thought.

fabia vRS looks yummy!
Old 30th June 2005, 01:12   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

And here we go again with a Maruti/Hyundai VS Fiat fight.
The only reason that there are 54 posts is because there was a FIAT topic started.
Anyways, each car has its pros an cons.
Be it a Toyota or a RR or a Maruti.
In the C segment ech car has a set of buyers.

BTW,
which accent comes fully loaded at 5.04 with a 1.6L engine?
And as or the Indigos,
How many of the cars sold were Petrol?
The sales figures i am guessing are for Petrol Petras.
As for the NHC the buyers of the Fusion, Upper end accents, upper end Ikons and lower end Chevys are buying the NHC.
A person with a Budgetr of 5L will not buy a NHC.
Indigo buyers do not buy a NHC.
The NHC is a C+ car not a C segment car.
Old 30th June 2005, 12:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
5.04lacs ex for the baleno VXI
Wowwww .. 5.04 for a baleno VXi !!!
Are they selling the LXi for 4.5 then ?

Incidentally I was browsing through the Suzuki Global site .. went to quite a few national sites from there .. didn't find a single site where the baleno was listed in their product section .. Vitara, Swift, Liana, Jimny, even Carry .. but no Baleno .. (must admit I did not go to all the national sites).

It's no doubt a fab car .. but how long will maruti suzuki continue with it (going by the other models .. maybe till kingdom come ) .. but then shouldn't we get the newer suzuki models and engines , which would probably be better than the baleno engine that we rave about ?

Swift is a step in the right direction ... hope there are more similar steps ahead ..
Old 30th June 2005, 15:33   #57
BHPian

one thing is clear that Skoda is not replacing the current Octavia with the new model. it will be providing the new model Octavia as the "L&K" model of it. so people will still be able to buy the current model Octavia, and can also opt for the new model at a premium.

IMHO, FABIA SUXs. from the pics i have been seeing of the Fabia, it looks as if someonez been messing around the Octavia, and converted it to a smaller car, or like an INDIGO converted with some nice lights and stuff!
Old 30th June 2005, 16:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
This is the market's opinion.
@Steer, you seem to be operating on the assumption that the market knows best*. Let me just say that I don't buy that assumption.

* Or the most popular product is the best one.
Old 30th June 2005, 17:52   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
none of the cars have non functional interiors,did you ever notice how hard the buttons are?how hard the clutch is?how is the visiblity all round?these interiors may work for a b segment car but are seriously out of place for a c-segment car.
anshuman, if I may ask,

which specific other C-segment car in the *same price range* are you comparing the Petra with, to come up with the above ?

functional ?
lets take a extremely simple example.
fiat offers you wiring for 6-speakers. what about ikon / accent / baleno ?

just a case in point. not all the features or value additions may be high visibility items that jump out and grab your attention. sometimes you need to look deeper.

the base ikons or the baleno will not exactly win the "interior plushness" contest in any event.

and,
hard buttons, hard clutch ?? .....thats a new one.

but i have heard about poor brakes on both the accent and the ikon, on this forum and elsewhere.

Last edited by hell_rider : 30th June 2005 at 17:54.
Old 30th June 2005, 17:53   #60
BHPian

maruti models are forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
It's no doubt a fab car .. but how long will maruti suzuki continue with it (going by the other models .. maybe till kingdom come ) ..
this was exactly what was told to me when i expressed my concerns about maruti withdrawing Baleno from market.
The salesperson asked me to look at versa's case - its doing really bad but still maruti continues to sell it.

Most Viewed