Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2005, 17:55   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Incidentally I was browsing through the Suzuki Global site .. went to quite a few national sites from there .. didn't find a single site where the baleno was listed in their product section .. Vitara, Swift, Liana, Jimny, even Carry .. but no Baleno .. (must admit I did not go to all the national sites).
i thought the Baleno was sold in the US as the ESTEEM ???
Old 30th June 2005, 18:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

checked up at http://www.suzukiauto.com/

XL-7, Vitara, Verona, Aerio (looks like the Liana), Forenza (optra) and Reno.

no Baleno .. wonder which countries they still have it in their product lineup ..
Old 30th June 2005, 19:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
@Steer, you seem to be operating on the assumption that the market knows best*. Let me just say that I don't buy that assumption.

* Or the most popular product is the best one.
Suit yourself, but when a person asks for a recommendation on which vehicle to buy I would prefer to recommend a model that is likely to remain in the market for a while.

I also dont buy the assumption that a certain vehicle is the best because a group of people seem to think it is so, nor do I go about recommending the vehicle(s) I own to all and sundry or singing its praises at every possible opportunity.

Enough has been said on this topic. If you still want to join issue, my email id is menonhigh@yahoo.com and the same ID is used for IM - keep it off the forum.
Old 30th June 2005, 19:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
i thought the Baleno was sold in the US as the ESTEEM ???
It WAS,with a 1.8L engine, but not anymore. It was withdrawn after the launch of the larger Liana/Aiero.
Old 1st July 2005, 09:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Suit yourself, but when a person asks for a recommendation on which vehicle to buy I would prefer to recommend a model that is likely to remain in the market for a while.

I also dont buy the assumption that a certain vehicle is the best because a group of people seem to think it is so, nor do I go about recommending the vehicle(s) I own to all and sundry or singing its praises at every possible opportunity.

Enough has been said on this topic. If you still want to join issue, my email id is menonhigh@yahoo.com and the same ID is used for IM - keep it off the forum.
Two questions:
Steer,
Assume you are seeing somebody with a Fiat car on road? He has to be quite proud of his car and you defenitly would love to teach him a lesson or two. What will you do?
Now the reverse. Assume few of our TBHP Fiat guys(spare me!) are finding Steer some where(3-4 fiat guys might be a problem!) alone. What will they do?
No offence meant to anybody at all.
Old 1st July 2005, 10:04   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
Assume you are seeing somebody with a Fiat car on road? He has to be quite proud of his car and you defenitly would love to teach him a lesson or two.
Why on earth would I want to do that? If he's proud of his car, so be it - unless he tries to get under my skin.

As for the second question, you're assuming that everyone driving a Fiat is busy trying to prove a point to the world. Even if that were true and all these chaps drove on the streets with a major chip on their shoulders, how does that make it a better car? I drove a Fiat product for slightly over 6 months - I dont remember behaving in this ridiculous manner.

I'm sorry mate, but I dont get the point at all.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st July 2005 at 10:11.
Old 1st July 2005, 12:27   #67
BHPian

Come on Steeroid, nothing serious in it.
Looking at the number occasions you had to say something on Fiat, I was just exaggerating.
Sorry any way.
Old 1st July 2005, 13:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Find one post where I have recommended Petra without it actually fitting user requirements.

I recommend Petra for following reasons :
1. It has 100 bhp 1.6L engine and it delivers the power at wheels, unlike some other cars which boast such power at crank but fail to deliver at wheels.
2. It has good torquey engine to pull effortlessly.
3. It has overengineered chasis, mostly solidly built car in its segment.
4. It offers excellent ride quality and provides excellent combination of handling and ride. Stock vehicle comes with 175/65 R14 tyres.
5. Its spares are cheap, interior is dull but sports ergonomically well places controls.
6. It is fully loaded (except ABS + Air bags), These options were availalbe earlier,but discontinued now.
7. It is not at all expensive.
8. Most Petras offer FE around 10-11 kmpl in City, which is quite decent compared to other cars in the segment.

It has drawbacks :
1. Brand image, shaky company future. (Things are upbeat these days with new CEO and fresh infusion of 2bn fund. Fiat has raised stakes in the operation).
2. Poor dealer and A/S/S. (Service is quite good in Pune and Mumbai).
3. Poor resale value.

There is nothing like boasting something, which it can not do. I may be biased because I own the car, but I sometimes find your views on Fiat far more biased than mine. (And I bought this car, when I knew all the -ve facts well in advance. So, my recommendation is not like an afterthought, neither do I treat my decision as a mistake).
Old 1st July 2005, 14:15   #69
BHPian

5.04 Lakh for a Baleno Vxi? New?? I can't believe it.Where??
I just checked up with the dealer here and he quotes an ex showroom price of Baleno Vxi for 6,63,000/- and Lxi for Rs 5,93,000/- this is without discounts. He claims that this month's discounts have not yet been released.

I got excited coz I've booked a swift zxi and after reading through everything You all have written, thought I could add a little bit more and go in for a Baleno... :(
Old 1st July 2005, 14:55   #70
BHPian

the new baleno ads say the LXI is priced at 5.34 lakhs. but thats ex-showroom delhi or something. nowhere does any dealer in mumbai etc. even come close to that price.

plus same thing about discounts. every dealer is vague about it and gives totally unsatisfactory information.
Old 1st July 2005, 14:58   #71
BHPian

while on the C-segmenters,

1. Is the FORD IKON Euro-III compliant ?
2. Are the IKON engines MPFI or SEFI ? I think i read a spec sheet somewhere that says they are SEFI engines. I was a bit surprised.
Old 1st July 2005, 23:22   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Hell Rider,
the Ikon has an SEFI engine as far as i know.
Have any of you guys noticed that if Fiat only became a bit more customer oriented, they will have no trouble at all.
Old 2nd July 2005, 00:19   #73
BHPian

BHP Team,

I am looking for your guidance -

First of the block I looked at Ikon, Accent, Baleno and finalised on Baleno considering overall good driveblity of Baleno..straight torque curve as u guys call it ! Ikon just as good for low end torque, Accent is just average in all departments and on top of it both cars do not give buit to last feeling. Corsa out....coz its bit cramped from inside.

Then I had a look at Marina, considering value for money offering from TATA - more to find out what it is, considering it looked decent from outside on top of it economy of diesal. Loved the car esp. BS III with 70 BHP and improved interiors though they are not refined as u would expect.

Tried petra too but the moment I saw Adventure sports, I really loved it.

So the main question is

I would love to buy Fiat car - essentially for solid buid and good handling on bad roads however I am not too sure abt A.S.S. resale is not a issue for me, is it really bad as ppl. make it out to be - i have no first hand experience. I visited Anroop motors and only thing I noticed was lack of customers here in Hyderabad.

I am getting 20 K discount on petra both EL and ELX 1.6 to bring the price to 5.5 for EL and 5.8 for ELX on road.

Adveture Sport 1.6 is 6.4 on road.

Baleno LXI is comming to 5.88 on road

Marina LX is 6 on road.

I would love to own Fiat..esp adventure sports or fully loaded Petra ELX but is it worth with their A.S.S., wat if I have to move from Hyderabad to Delhi or Chennai, how is support there? Considering that Fiat is seemingly trying to back in scene with new launches, new MD and recently increasing their holding in Fiat india.

Or should I stick with baleno - negative points - flimsy body, poor crash record, pricy spares.

or Trusted VFM Marina - or is it really a VFM?

Your views pls.

Vivek
Old 2nd July 2005, 00:23   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5.04 Lakh for a Baleno Vxi? New?? I can't believe it.Where??
ROHAN MOTORS - New Delhi
Baleno Vxi - 5.04lacs
Old 2nd July 2005, 13:34   #75
BHPian

Baleno Vxi for 5.04 lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
ROHAN MOTORS - New Delhi
Baleno Vxi - 5.04lacs
Hi could you pls. recheck the prices - sounds almost impossible, can you provide the number of the Rohan Motors Delhi?

Most Viewed