Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2009, 14:48   #1
ashwinpak

The truth about i20 (CRDI and AT) pricing

I dunno whether this has been discussed before, or a thread exists (I searched, but could not find). If yes, please delete/merge/move this thread.

I did a comparison of prices of the Indian i20 and the UK one. All top end versions.

Version__UK Price___Diff*____India price__Diff*
=========================================
1.2________9625________________5.8 L__________
CRDI______10710____11.3%_____7.2 L_____24.1%
1.4AT_____11020____14.4%_____7.7 L_____32.8%

* Compared to the 1.2 version
- All retail prices
- UK Price in pounds
- The 1.2 and CRDI enjoys the small car advantage while the 1.4AT does not.
- UK prices were taken from here: New Hyundai I20 Price - Compare Hyundai I20 Discount Prices
- Indian prices were from here: Advaith Hyundai :: Hyundai i20 :: Pricelist

The 1.2 in India looks priced really well compared to the UK version. While there is a 11% difference between the 1.2 and the diesel prices in the UK, here it is a whopping 24%. When it comes to the AT, it is a whopping 33% compared to 14% in the UK. Well, we must also remember that the 1.4AT here does not enjoy the small car benefits.

So looks like Hyundai has heavily overpriced the i20 CRDI and AT compared to the 1.2. The 1.2 looks good value for money. Those who are thinking of getting the CRDI should give a second look at the 1.2 petrol before proceeding.

Last edited by ashwinpak : 19th July 2009 at 15:01. Reason: formatted the table

Old 19th July 2009, 14:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have a couple of doubts :

Which price have you considered as the India price? The ex-showroom or OTR of a particular city? If yes, which one?

And secondly, what is the exchange rate being taken into account?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 19th July 2009 at 14:58.
Old 19th July 2009, 14:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can you find out pricing of the Grande Punto in Europe against the one in India? Also for Jazz?
Old 19th July 2009, 15:06   #4
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I have a couple of doubts :

Which price have you considered as the India price? The ex-showroom or OTR of a particular city? If yes, which one?

And secondly, what is the exchange rate being taken into account?
I have just compared the Indian prices of the i20AT and CRDI with 1.2. Likewise the UK prices too. Then compared the % differences in both the countries. Hence exchange rate is immaterial.

I have considered the ex-showroom prices in India. From here: Advaith Hyundai :: Hyundai i20 :: Pricelist

Old 19th July 2009, 15:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

That point confused me at first, then I realised that ashwinpak was not comparing the prices country to country, but the price structures of the two countries.
Old 19th July 2009, 15:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good point.

In Kolkata, the prices On Road prices are as follows:

1.2 Asta - 6.1 lac
1.4 CRDi Asta - 7.38 lac

About 21% diff
Old 19th July 2009, 15:44   #7
BHPian

What is the point of this standalone thread? How does the pricing dynamics in another country affect the sales /consumer in India.

Value is perceived locally vis-a vis other competing brands in the country .

Just curious as to what the threadstater intended here...
Old 19th July 2009, 16:21   #8
BHPian

Great info!

IMO the reason why Hyundai could price the 1.4 and the Crdi at such levels was that they were emBOLDened by the Honda Jazz.
Old 19th July 2009, 16:29   #9
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
What is the point of this standalone thread? How does the pricing dynamics in another country affect the sales /consumer in India.

Value is perceived locally vis-a vis other competing brands in the country .

Just curious as to what the threadstater intended here...
I guess you haven't read my post fully, or have failed to understand it. I suggest you invest a bit more time understanding what is written there. I have NOT compared pricing dynamics in different countries. Please don't take offence.

Old 19th July 2009, 16:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

May be the price difference is because in UK, Hyundais is percieved as a "Cheap Korean Brand" whereas in India they are perceived as the makers of the "Best Automobile Manufactures on eARTH"
Old 19th July 2009, 16:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
I guess you haven't read my post fully, or have failed to understand it. I suggest you invest a bit more time understanding what is written there. I have NOT compared pricing dynamics in different countries. Please don't take offence.
No offence taken, but from what i was able to understand, you seem to propose the 1.2 as VFM to the CRDI/AT, all of this based on the % price differential of Indian and UK models.
Every market has it's own dynamics and competition and volumes are 2 key factors determining pricing.The range of competitors vying for the same pie is a very limited one in India. Also the volumes are quite different in the 2 markets. Pricing cannot be comparable.

I am sorry, i still could not understand what the thread intends to provide to the potential buyer.Maybe it's just me, but i will leave it at that..

Thanks
Old 19th July 2009, 16:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

To make a finer point of that, pricing takes into account local market dynamics, including competitor pricing and brand standing. No one does it on a cost plus basis anymore, because that is not something that is relevant to a purchaser. The information is a curiosity to read, but of little other value, I would think too.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th July 2009 at 16:44. Reason: Added sentence
Old 19th July 2009, 16:43   #13
BHPian

Hyundai is importing both CRdi & 1.4 engine from Korea.

Can this add to the price difference?
Old 19th July 2009, 16:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good find there Aswin.

But IMO, the clear picture will emerge only when we decrypt the excise duty mechanism of our country.

there's little point in calculating Punto's prices either for the same reason, plus the accumulated freight etc of its imported components made in the western hemisphere.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th July 2009 at 16:48.
Old 19th July 2009, 16:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
May be the price difference is because in UK, Hyundais is percieved as a "Cheap Korean Brand" whereas in India they are perceived as the makers of the "Best Automobile Manufactures on eARTH"
It must be your own perception and I dont think there is a need to start another brand war thread. I cant make out if there was some other intention of your posting ...

Most Viewed