Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 21:00   #16
BHPian

I dont think Optra brand will be discontinued. This is part of the brand consolidation that GM is going thru post bust. I remember an interview with GM India head, where he said they will support Opel, but would prefer if the owner moved to other GM brands like Chevy.
Old 20th July 2009, 21:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats like the share buyback that many companies offer to their shareholders to restore everyone's faith in the health of the company. Coming to GM's health I would like to avoid any comment, but only say that GM Asia Pacific is in very robust health as per media reports. This is because they don't sell outdated gas guzzlers, but Daewoo rebadged products, which is in keeping with the practical demand scenario in these markets.
The Opel offer is a very welcome move by GM in pursuit of (maybe excellence)faith restoration. Opels fetch very low prices in used car markets. The Astras are being scrapped too.
I hope other bike and car makers who made freak models like the Bajaj Stride, Rave, Bravo will also launch such buyback schemes. Kinetic has launched the most freak models of all I am sure. May be the Maruti Zen Estillo and the Sumo Grande( freak cars) will be offered for buyback by MSIL and TataMotors, ten years hence.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th July 2009 at 21:15.
Old 21st July 2009, 08:06   #18
BHPian

If GM can offer a similar plan for Matiz with Spark, I think it will be great. I don't expect a huge sum for the old car, but can offer in the range of Rs.25000/- to Rs.50000/- depending on the model and condition.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:14   #19
BHPian

I was quite excited to see the exchange offer. In fact its a mouth watering deal for me to trade in my 97 model Astra in favour of an Optra for Rs.125000.

Though the deal is prima facie good, I feel its like exchanging a dated product for another dated product. Optra isnt selling well and the nos are steadily dwindling. A.S.S. of GM Dealers in Delhi is pathetic. Therefore,as someone has already pointed out, this could be a stock clearance activity before launch of the Cruze.

What was GM doing all these years ? Why have they suddenly woken up now trying to give a better deal to Astra/Corsa customers ? The scene would be clear after the launch of the Cruze!

I dont think, it would be a wise decision to go in for the deal.

Last edited by sandeep.mishra : 21st July 2009 at 11:19.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep.mishra View Post
I was quite excited to see the exchange offer. In fact its a mouth watering deal for me to trade in my 97 model Astra in favour of an Optra for Rs.125000.
I think perhaps you have misunderstood the offer. GM will give you 1,25,000 off on a new Optra if you give in your Astra.
Pardon me if that was not the case.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:32   #21
BHPian

General Motors has introduced a scheme where it will buy back the older Opel models that it sold in India in exchange for the Chevrolet Optra Magnum.
The company offers to buy back the cars at a price between Rs 1,25,000 and Rs 1,65,000 on all the Opel models. The idea behind this buy back is to sell out its existing Optra Magnum stock for the upcoming replacement, the Chevrolet Cruze which has been launched in Europe and the Indian market is on the cards of General Motors.
Following are the buy back rates offered by General Motors:
1997 – 1999: Rs 1,25,000 (Opel Astra)
2000 – 2001: Rs 1,45,000 (Opel Corsa) and Rs 1,55,000 (Opel Astra)
2002 onwards: Rs 1,65,000 (Opel Corsa) and Rs 1,55,000 (Opel Astra)

Source:Carwale.com

Optra already has pathetic resale.I dont think the opel owners might be interested in going the similar way again,as far as they know that it is going to be discontinued.
Old 23rd July 2009, 00:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I don't think so,it difficult for GM to take over Toyota & Honda as far as they suffer from poor resale & A.S.S

Cruz can take over other rivals in terms of features or Bhp but not truly to what we think off.
I beg to differ on the poor A.S.S part. We have had an opel astra for the past ten years but have had pleasant A.S.S experience at least 90% of times with only few instances of parts taking time to come and We have dealt with 3 dealers. 2 in Jalandhar and 1 in Amritsar
Old 23rd July 2009, 00:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I think perhaps you have misunderstood the offer. GM will give you 1,25,000 off on a new Optra if you give in your Astra.
Pardon me if that was not the case.
sandeep is too optimist or should i say starry eyed . Don't mind just joking
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

As Pointed out by somebody in the thread that first buyers of Astra may have moved on to better luxury cars by now,I dont think the ones left might buy an outdated car which is already counting its days.It diesel was not introduced optra could have been out of production by now.Optra and Octavia both are outdated sell only because they dont have any modern diesel alternatives.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd July 2009 at 18:46.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would keep my Opel Corsa and still get a higher discount on the Optra.
Does this offer mean that if I sell my Corsa for Optra, I would not get any other discount??
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yes Vasudeva, thats exactly what it means. As per info available so far you get the advertised exchange price and only another additional Rs. 10,000 worth of accessories (which in real world value will be less than half as much.)
So basically you will not get the regular discount on the Optra (which in some cases is more than half a Lac).
Instead GM will just add that money to the actual market resale value of your existing Corsa. This is not a dream trade in scheme in anyway. If you still want to go for the Optra, hide the fact that you have a Corsa and haggle your GM sales guy to death. After agreeing on a fat discount ask him for the advertised price for the Corsa, SLAM. At best he might give you a couple of thousand extra as an exchange bonus. But noway will they offer you both the exchange price on the Corsa and the Optras huge discount.
Now you decide wether you want to fall for it!!
Old 26th July 2009, 21:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

We are thinking for exchanging our 2001 opel astra club. few doubts remain:

1) is it valid only for the optra? we may like to buy the aveo or tavera instead.
2) if its only for the optra, is it a wise decision? with the Cruze coming, this may be a move to clear the old stocks of the optra & then dis-continue the model.
3) can we exchange the astra for the optra & sell the optra immediately? if yes, how much will i lose? will i find any buyers? is it advisable?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks