View Poll Results: which mahindra?
Scorpio mHawk 2.2 63 73.26%
Xylo mEagle 2.5 23 26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 09:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

War between the Mahindra cousins!

Everybody in this forum hates the Xylo for its ugly duckling looks, including me. but nobody can deny the fact that its been setting the sales charts on fire, even leaving the oh-so desirable innova behind.

I did a quick search & found that the Xylo has been compared to the innova, tavera & grande in this forum. but nobody has really compared it to its own cousin- the scorpio. reasons cited were they are in different segments (price-wise) & one is an MUV whereas other is an SUV. fair enough. but now, considering the price reduction & facelift has happened in the Scorpio & Xylo is now available in ABS, which is your pick of the two- the Xylo or the Scorpio?

When i went for the TD of the Xylo, i was very impressed with the interiors. the poor plastics can be ignored if you consider the price! the massive space, comfort, features & attention to detail bowled me over. but the awkward styling was a turn off. the DDAS in the Xylo is something i wish i had in my scorpio.

but as a scorpio owner, i immediately realised that the scorpio's mHawk engine is still much superior to the Xylo's mEagle unit in terms of refinement & performance. Also, the Xylo cannot beat the scorpio for its looks & street presence. also, some features like voice assist, auto wipers & tyretronics are not available in the Xylo.

So which is your choice among the two? will you opt for the comfort of the Xylo or the performance of the scorpio?

PLEASE NOTE THAT, innova is not considered in the list! You choice should be only between the scorpio and the xylo.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 21st July 2009 at 09:29.
Old 21st July 2009, 09:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Xlyo.
Reasons :

1) Space. Scorpio was not enough in this regard. This is very important specially if a car is MUV. Good amount of space is available in Xylo and this definitely will help on long trips.

2) Price : I think its lower than Scorpio. It is offering quite a good deal as compared to price, hence VFM deal.

3) FE : The 2.5 is more tuned towards FE which is a tad better than Scorpio.

I think Scorpio is for those who are more interested in presence and 4 X 4 availability. Its older than Xylo too. Xylo is for those who are looking for a very comfortable mile muncher which has good space.

I admit that the main reason for Xylo getting the vote from my side is the available space inside.
Old 21st July 2009, 09:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

If i have it my way i would buy neither.
Voted for scorpio because it looks better.
Old 21st July 2009, 09:51   #4
BHPian

hi raj,

my vote is for xylo,

- has more space
- better fuel efficiency
- better ride and handling compared to scorp

just sold my accent VIVA CRDI and booked a xylo last week, expecting delivery by friday this week, will post pictures later
sijil
Old 21st July 2009, 09:57   #5
BHPian

I'll go with the Scorpio, as I think it looks better and is tried and tested.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:21   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd choose the Scorpio because it meets the requirements of personal usage better. Easy to drive within the city, excellent engine, available with a 4x4 (soon on the mhawk) and the fact that I don't really need to ferry 7 people around (family of 4).

That said, we'd predicted the Xylo's success at the time of its launch. Enthusiasts may not think too much of its looks or road manners, but there isn't a doubt on the Xylo's value propostion. Its got loads of space, a powerful engine, good fuel economy, Mahindra robustness, all this at a pricetag that's two lakhs smaller than the Innova. The people mover + commercial segment can rejoice! I'd personally pay the premium for an Innova though.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Unless the Xylo comes with better looks, it wouldnt figure in my list, despite all its advantages. I would anyday prefer a Scorpio.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio for looks and proven list of most good things. Between the two I'd buy a Safari
Old 21st July 2009, 11:04   #9
BHPian

Scropio all the way!!!
Did not like the looks of the Xylo at first. Took a TD (E8) and the vehicle behaved well. Then immediately took the TD for Scorpio just for comparison purpose and found the engine better refined and responsive. The space is more in Xylo but personally i liked the scorpio better.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Xylo,

The VFM package, space and I must say it is fun to drive, especially on the highway.

The Scorpio will look dated from sometime now. The looks of the Xylo grow on you slowly as has been the case with me.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:33   #11
BHPian

voted for the Xylo purely from the following 2 personal perspectives :
1. need for more space ( Scorp is cramped for ferrying a team of wife,2 kids, parents, sister, bro-in-law and their kid)
2. more value\ features at a lower price point.

As a personal choice i would anyday go for the Scorp Mhawk Auto or a top end innova ( no auto though).
Old 21st July 2009, 11:49   #12
BANNED

My vote goes to Xylo, its a better/improved/newer Scorpio sans the looks.
Overall comfort levels are higher, ergonomics are superior, space is more & the list goes on.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijil.karim View Post

better ride and handling compared to scorp
I doubt that. (Even some magazines claim what you have written but I disagree)

I have driven both, back to back and have involved a little high speed expressway running through traffic. The Xylo never inspired confidence with its constant rock and roll, even when I was surprisingly, driving straight. I agree, it doesn't roll as much as a vehicle of its height would like you to beleve, but confidence at expressway speeds is not its forte. Scorpio on the other hand was much more relaxed, however it too was a little skittish, nothing a good driver cannot handle or would not like.

The driving position of the Xylo is too high set, its like being on the upper deck of a double decker bus. I also had the fortune of seeing the behind of another xylo while being seated in one. It looks better when seen from the driver seat of a low slung car rather than from the driver seat of a Xylo. Although this shouldn't influence anything.

But interiors and the third row seat space was excellent in the xylo, however the constant bobbing might offset any space benefits of the passenger cabin on long runs. Hence Xylo out of question.

However the people who accompanied me on the test drive liked the xylo better as the space appealed to them and the drive wasn't long enough to cause back pain or nausea that I can foresee happening on a long drive.

Last edited by 1100D : 21st July 2009 at 11:57.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:30   #14
BHPian

Xylo it is. Cant beat the VFM compared to Scorpio. That being said, if it is a personal "Status" vehicle that you are looking for, Scorpio is a better bet.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:36   #15
BHPian

Appreciate your comparison of Xylo and Scorpio, but i wish you could keep one more option "None of the above"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks