Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2005, 10:29   #1

Entry level Innova

Hi TeamBHPians,

It seems because of a mismatch in demand and supply, the base model of Innova (E) is carrying a hefty discount of upto 30k in Bangalore and else where. Pls refer to the following news.
http://www.business-standard.com/com...t=0&leftindx=1

In this regard, would it make sense to buy an E variant vis-a-vis a G2 variant.

Any one who already has an E variant, could please throw more light on the handling and other aspects.

Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2005, 10:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

This does not have PS, right. You can save gym costs on this truck
Old 23rd June 2005, 11:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaushal
H

In this regard, would it make sense to buy an E variant vis-a-vis a G2 variant.

Any one who already has an E variant, could please throw more light on the handling and other aspects.

Thanks.
I test drove all variants before putting my money down for the highest spec G. The V was unrealistically priced...

It makes sense to buy an E variant ONLY IF you have a full time driver who has been driving a matador or other such LCV before. That variant comes without Power Steering and is a handful on anything other than a straight road. Besides, it comes with wind-up windows, manually adjustable mirrors (whose manual control stalks require you to really STRETCH from your seats) and nothing other than seats and a basic Aircon inside the vehicle. Seats are full PVC, too.

When you put down 7 lakhs plus for a vehicle, you dont expect it to have the creature comforts of a basic M800, do you? That explains the heavy discounts for the E variant - nobody is picking it up, and Toyota expected it to sell the most and therefore produced more of it.

With that money, you could buy a Scorpio DLX with all creature comforts and similar power...dont brake at speeds over 80kmph, though.
Old 23rd June 2005, 13:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Entry level Innovas only good for replacing Qualis taxis... seen many around already in Delhi..
Old 23rd June 2005, 14:26   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Innova would be a hit among tourist cars if it is introduced with the 2.4D Qualis engine. Will reduce the price drastically.
Old 23rd June 2005, 14:44   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It was aimed primarily at the commercial segment - Big mistake in over-producing the basic variant when there are such huge wait periods for the decently equipped examples.

GTO
Old 23rd June 2005, 14:51   #7
BHPian

Wouldnt recommend any one buying the E variant for family use.

The G variants make more sense as they have the basic comforts reqd of a car which costs that much. Plus, now they are gonna be producing more of the G and V variants so waiting periods will come down.
Old 23rd June 2005, 15:37   #8
BHPian

Toyota might be thinking of converting all their entry level Innovas to higher-end ones
Old 23rd June 2005, 16:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
Toyota might be thinking of converting all their entry level Innovas to higher-end ones
That would be too expensive to do - cheaper to discount them
Old 23rd June 2005, 16:50   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
The Innova would be a hit among tourist cars if it is introduced with the 2.4D Qualis engine. Will reduce the price drastically.
If you remember, Toyota took the decision to deliberately price the Innova higher up to keep away the taxi owners. Looks like they didn't think this through very well.

The base model is just too "base" for people nowadays. Things have moved on, and power steering & windows as an option on a Rs. 7 lakh + vehicle just won't do anymore.
Old 24th June 2005, 12:54   #11
BHPian

toyota is reconfiguring its product mix with respect to the innova. its in today's times business section.
Old 14th September 2005, 23:32   #12
BHPian

hi guys,

i am planning to buy innova petrol G2, would it be the right choice or should i go for the diesal. According to ACI the mileage of the innova petrol seems to be quite low!
Old 14th September 2005, 23:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
It makes sense to buy an E variant ONLY IF you have a full time driver who has been driving a matador or other such LCV before. That variant comes without Power Steering and is a handful on anything other than a straight road. .
True! Plus you may have to buy him biryani for lunch everyday so that he can maintain his muscles.
Old 14th September 2005, 23:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh
hi guys,

i am planning to buy innova petrol G2, would it be the right choice or should i go for the diesal. According to ACI the mileage of the innova petrol seems to be quite low!
Hey Duboy!

Where in India are you based? I'd recommend the diesel since its quite a nice mover, but refinement is an absolute priority over everything else go for the petrol.

Good choice, by the way!
Old 15th September 2005, 00:09   #15
cnu
BHPian

Steeroid,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I test drove all variants before putting my money down for the highest spec G.
What made you to shift to DICOR ? Isn't the diesel Innova superior to DICOR technically (my ignorance...) ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks