Team-BHP - Ford Tops Quality survey.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ford Tops Quality survey. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/62181-ford-tops-quality-survey.html)

In India, Ford and Honda Are Most Dependable Brands - Associated Content

One more reason to buy a ford in India now. With their 24 hour assistance and 3 years maintainence free program I am sure it makes a good buy.

The no. of problems is overall still very high. I mean the overall problems per 100 cars is very high. I am posting the entire article from the link you have given.

Quote:

Dependability of a vehicle is an important factor while purchasing a vehicle. Usually in India people consult car owners to know their experience of the vehicle. The cost of running and repairs is also carefully examined before finalizing on the prospective car. However, dependability is subjective to climatic conditions and individual driving styles. This year JD Power Asia released the finding of a study on 2009 Indian vehicle dependability. There were some startling revelations.

JD Power measured dependability of the vehicles based on the number of complaints received per 100 vehicles of the same model. The vehicles should have completed 3 years on the road. It was surprising to find that Ford and Honda Motors scored the highest in the dependability factor. While Ford vehicles reported the least number of problems, Honda cars reported the highest satisfaction in three of the nine categories like vehicle exterior design, driving experience and engine performance.

What came as a surprise was also that, small cars reported the highest number of problems, and the number got smaller as the vehicle got bigger. The vehicle with the lowest scores got the highest rank. The study was conducted in 10 car segments in India.

In the small car segment, Maruti Suzuki topped the list. Its Maruti Suzuki Zen reported 211 complaints per 100 vehicles which was the least in the small car segment. It was followed by Maruti Suzuki WagonR and Alto with 238 and 264 problems respectively. The average number of complaints was 334 per 100 units. Since the study was conducted in the previous fiscal year, it does not include Honda Jazz and Fiat Grande Punto. Further, these vehicles are yet to complete 3-years of duty.

The entry level sedan segment reported that Ford Ikon was highest dependable vehicle. It scored as low as 228 problems per 100 vehicles, while the others like Hyundai Getz reported 138 problems. In the mid-size segment, Honda City reported as low as 155 problems and Ford Fiesta had a mere 183 problems per 100 vehicles. On an average, mid-size category reported 214 problems per hundred vehicles.

Toyota Corolla in the premium mid-size segment reported only 129 problems and Honda Civic reported only 167 problems. Chevrolet Optra fared well with 199 problems per hundred vehicles.

The MUV/MPV (multi-utility vehicle/multi-purpose vehicle) segment was a little problematic. Even as Toyota Innova clocked 182 problems, Chevrolet Tavera reported 222 problems and Mahindra Bolero has 286 problems. This is a par with the small
In India, Ford and Honda Are Most Dependable Brands
car segment.

The SUV segment threw up most dependable vehicle. Ford Endeavour reported a mere 75 problems per 100 vehicles. Awesome! It was followed by Honda CR-V with 125 problems and Tata Safari Dicor with 344 problems. Ford Endeavour is a testimony to the best of engineering and design. It is an exemplary vehicle whose example should be followed by all Indian cars.

Homegrown majors like Tata Motors and Mahindra need to learn from the Foreign made cars that deliver a promise of great experience as well.
I will not be depending on any surveys as they take a very small sample and work. Mostly the megacities are included in the surveys. Still the quality needs to improve.

Surprisingly, the not so well built Altis had less problems than Civic. The real wonder is Ford Endeavor. Its what can be considered high quality. Rest all are having a lot of problems.
But this all depends upon usage, driving style and where the vehicles are operated.

not sure about surveys but i am personally very much satisfied with ford servicing and in their customer satisfaction department.

Interesting to note this! Good trend indeed. I too am happy with Ford Service.

@aaggoswami---Toyota is internationally acclaimed to be the most defect free manufacturer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 1396956)
Interesting to note this! Good trend indeed. I too am happy with Ford Service.

@aaggoswami---Toyota is internationally acclaimed to be the most defect free manufacturer.

Toyota used to be acclaimed to be the most defect free manufacturer.Fortunately they have done well in India though.

Ford has also won acclaim in N.A. lately. In India it is really an achievement as Ford cars are some of the most FTD cars which make them prone to thrashing and burning on the road.

Good show Ford. From the various articles on Ford in auto magazines, interviews with Alan Mullaly, web articles etc, it is easy to figure that Ford has put enormous focus on quality over the last several years and it's quality rankings are climbing consistently year-on-year.

Clearly, it has been the only one of the big three in Detroit which realised demise was impending unless they changed their way of working.

This is a much needed shot in the arm for Ford, its sales figures were declining due to lack of consumer support.
Im really surprised by Endy's performance, for a SUV its nirvana!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 1397352)
This is a much needed shot in the arm for Ford, its sales figures were declining due to lack of consumer support.
Im really surprised by Endy's performance, for a SUV its nirvana!

Yes, I agree that it is a good shot in Ford's arm.

As regards the Endy, I've read divergent views on it----some say it is the only true 4/4 off roader below 20 lacs, while some other say it is cramped and has a harsh ride quality.
One thing I like is its tough 'dont fool with me' looks!

Where can we get details on what were the specific problems faced by owners? Innova is showing 182pp100 vehicles while CR-V shows 125. These seem very high for a Toyota and Honda.

Also, from the report:

Ikon - 228pp100 vehicles.

City - 155.

Fiesta - 183.

Only Endeavour has fewer problems then CR-V. How then does this report come to the conclusion that Ford cars are most dependable? It should be Honda!

I cant comment much here on the Ford Quality compared with the other Manufacturers and welll, when its a survey by another magazine which is a bit unreliable to me.

But I have never had any quality issues with the Ford experience which I had and I have been enjoying at the moment. I have owned the Ford Ikon for over 4 years and man thats one heck of a reliable car. Never had any problems with the car and taking it on long drives which are over 14Hours was absolute fun and the reliability was solid! I usually maintain a good rapot with the service advisor who deal with my car and yeah there is one person from Metro Ford, Bangalore who is a good family friend of mine now! The service experience has always been mind blowing with Metro Ford through my ownership.

With my new Fiesta which I am a owner of from 22nd May, the experience is more sweet! I have recently moved to Chennai and I had my doubts over the service reliability over here in Chennai. But the experience has been good so far...

I had reported about a problem with a abnormal fan operation in my new Fiesta here in TBHP. To my surprise I was contacted by a an official from Ford India enquiring over the problem. But the problem was mainly because of a bad fuel and I dint have much complaints either to take their help.

The next experience is post my 1st service @ 5K KM. I had reported to the Dealer about a creaking noise when I shift from 3rd to 4th gear which was not attended in my 1st service. Well, I dint raise that complaint during my 1st service but I was expecting them to do a thorough check on the car and this problem to be corrected.

After I reported this executive, I am being continously chased... yes chased by the Service Manager to get my car to them so that they can fix it. This sounds really positive compared to my dealer experience with my previous Ford.

Its obviously a good news that Ford is improving, and I have been hearing the same positive things about the Fiat service as well. So its just too good for the Customers!

155p/100cars is high for the City. I rem, back in the days it used to be 125p/100 cars when the OHC was in production.

The Ikon stats are a bit confusing, they says its the most dependable car in its class, but 228 probs is a very high figure (unless they meant 128p/100 cars).

Shan2nu

I am happy and content with the Ford climbing up the rank. I own an Ikon and have been very satisfied with the car. I have had just one service exeperience so far and that was pleasant indeed. So good going ford!!!

Awesome :) I am really happy to hear this. Four years and I have had nothing but complete respect for my ikon. Only regular service and 1 blown fuse while travelling in 41K kms. Never let me down till now (touchwood).

One question : How is JD Quality funded? By whom? Yup, it's the car manufacturers. Take their numbers with a pinch (actually, a lot) of salt. Sample Thread

The sole purpose of JD Quality rankings is to use them in marketing & advertising.

The quality & APEAL studies made public by JD Edwards are not commissioned by any single manufacturer. But many corporates do buy these reports later to improve their performence.

They do the research with actual owners, but it is upto the manufacturer to buy the report later.

In other words Ford India did not commission this particular report... just as other manufacturers who topped earlier did not commission the same during those years.