Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2006, 11:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

off topic : yups dcm . . i know the superbs over priced but you have gone too far by compaing your petra to the superb.
if you talk about rationality. . . . any car mor expensive than a particular amount is irrational. any car would take you from point a to point b. . .so where the need . . . all your needs are aspirational. . .(to be seen in a car which you can connect with, which makes you look cool, which takes you faster . . .
Old 12th May 2006, 13:04   #47
BHPian

Skoda Cars are good enough, have understated elegence, all are good but they are boringly same, and overpriced. I guess this should have been the fate of the Swift it it looked like M800
Old 19th September 2008, 16:10   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Saw this fab looking Superb in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb : What a BLUNDER of positioning-moto_0236.jpg  

Old 7th January 2009, 10:52   #49
BHPian

Hello,

Im a new member to the forum, though I have been following the posts for some time now.

I have been considering Laura L&K (DSG) and almost finalized it, but the scoop is that the Superb Top variant is being offered at 5L discount and is just 70K more than the Laura Im considering.

I know that the 2.5 TDI is on its way out and the new model for Superb will most likely be petrol only (Thats waht the slaes person who is also a friend told me).

A lot of experts on this forum have been swearing by Superb if the price was sub 20L and that is what is attracting me now,

Is it worth going for a discontinued model (Ive been told that the spares for the superb will be an issue). Also it is not a DSG but a normal auto with some other features less than the Laura L&K.

Also will the laura last another 2-3 years before the new variant is launched (Im not referring to just the facelift as it should have no impact on the availability of spares and services for the current variants).

Appreciate your help,

Danc
Old 7th January 2009, 12:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

danc,

The sales guy is lying to you, he has pressure to clear stock so he will tell u anything. Infact the new Superb will be launched in diesel and will be the same price as the previous one. With current economic conditions would be cheaper/launched with discount. Although the engine is 2 liter pump duse as confirmed by the Skoda it will be equally powerful if not better than the exiting model. This new car is bigger better looking and more value for money. 2009 is a buyers year truely all car producers will be on their knews this year to sell you a car and will give u really sweet discounts. Don't buy new cars from friends trust me.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2009 at 16:32. Reason: No inappropriate language please
Old 7th January 2009, 13:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
Hello,

I have been considering Laura L&K (DSG) and almost finalized it, but the scoop is that the Superb Top variant is being offered at 5L discount and is just 70K more than the Laura Im considering.

Also will the laura last another 2-3 years before the new variant is launched (Im not referring to just the facelift as it should have no impact on the availability of spares and services for the current variants).

Appreciate your help,

Danc
Read about the offer . Very big one at it. How much will it be OTR now?

Rumor is that 2010 will get a new Laura, maybe just a face lift as the current one is still new atleast in India.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:35   #52
BHPian

Thanks for the warning cannonball,

In fact the sales guy was trying to tell me not to go for the Superb despite the discount due to the speres availability and the maintenance costs thereof. His manager was though pushing the Superb.

I just got the call from the dealer that the Superb is not available at the factory or with the dealership, the two cars I saw last week at the dealership have been sold off, so his pressure to clear off the stock is off now.

The decision is easier for me now Laura L&K DSG! Only Im trying to see if I can manage to get the 2009 model (Checking which color is not available in the factory for 2008 model and will place a booking for the same, unless it is cappuccino or white!)

Best Regards,

Danc
Old 7th January 2009, 14:02   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO - the superb above looks smokin hot! I love the rims and the tints.

Coming back to topic, it is no doubt that Skoda has killed the Superb brand on their own, both with their positioning as well as the amazing training given to their staff.

Positioning? Simple, as many people said out here, it is over priced and looks like an Octavia. Would it be that difficult to launch the ambiente and elegance trims?
Also, looks are a big put off. Majority of buyers in that segment want a car to show they have arrived and can now afford a 20L car.
Would you want to buy a 25L car that looks like its 11L sibling?

I was at dinner with a friend, when I overheard a person on the next table talking about cars as he had recently bought one (which one, I do not know). They were talking of the Skoda Superb as one of the options. He simply said he was looking at the Superb, which was bigger, but at the end of the day he didn't buy it simply because it looks like a slightly bigger Octavia. Just a slightly bigger Octavia.

Training?
Before the Laura was launched, many of my friends were under the impression that the Superb was just another model of the Octavia. To clarify their doubts, i called up Autobahn, the Mumbai dealer for Skoda and asked one of the sales reps, who confirmed that the Superb was indeed another model in the Octavia line up!

Come on! Would that car have ever succeeded?
You go to the showroom, thinking of looking at the big Octavia (Superb), and even the sales people refer to it as another Octavia model.
This leads you to think that the car must be around 17L OTR as it's an Octavia.

But then thats the problem. It is not 17L, but 23L! And why would anyone in their right mind spend 23L on a bigger model of the Octavia? One that is just 'slightly bigger' (as the guy at dinner put it)? Rather buy a Laura or an Octavia or even another brand such as the Passat or C Class right?
Old 7th January 2009, 14:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
The decision is easier for me now Laura L&K DSG! Only Im trying to see if I can manage to get the 2009 model (Checking which color is not available in the factory for 2008 model and will place a booking for the same, unless it is cappuccino or white!)

Danc
Danc, if you getting the Skoda SUperb at 17 0r 18 lacs OTR its a steal.
If you can wait for a while you can wait, but just keep this in mind, Skoda will take around 8 months to get the new superb here, after which they will get the face lift laura in India. It might be more than 10 months. So if you can wait for that long for the 09 Laura you can wait or buy the Skoda Laura 08.

Cheers,
AC
Old 7th January 2009, 14:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Superb is an amazing car. Great space and a rocking engine.Had it for 3 years.Let down by very steep maintenance cost and absolute non availabitiy of spares.Also just hope you dont bang it anywhere.Its hard to get it running as new again no matter what you do.
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:41   #56
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb : What a BLUNDER of positioning

Yes, it's a pretty old thread and generating confusions here.

Closing thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks