Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:40   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
As per dealer he will show the discount in invoice, guess he can't do without it. If he gives an invoice without discounts, he will have problems in accounting.
It seems the dealer is giving you a discount but not likely going to be showing it in the final Invoice. This is a normal practise amongst dealers when they give discounts to individuals based on negotiations. I think the only time they actually show a discounted price in the Invoice is when there is a 'corporate' discount because this is typically shared at the manufacturer-dealer level and hence has an impact on taxation at some level. This discount as you know is not negotiable and is given to corporates that are pre-identified.

The discount they are going to give you (in cash, if it is) I suppose, will be set off in their books as sales expenses either towards your car account or on a global sales account they would be maintaining.

The Invoice value remains the same, which means, the tax you pay will be the same as quoted by them. No harm is trying though
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:44   #32
BHPian

Urgent..inputs pls..

1) Can someone please share the latest road tax % for a vehicle in the class 5 lacs to 10 lacs.

For your reference(pic below) the charges as per latest amendment dated 31st Mar 2010 says 14 %

Bangalore Road Tax calculation for new vehicle-rto.jpg

2) Also why is that the dealers charge an additional 0.4% ? If you ask a dealer today he says 14.4% while the RTO says only 14% !!!
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:50   #33
BHPian

There is a 10% cess levied on the road tax by the RTO. It should actually be 14% + 1.4% = 15.4% of ex-showroom price of the vehicle.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Is there any other tax like VAT on top the road tax? Or the ex-showroom price includes the VAT component?
Old 27th November 2010, 11:15   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
87% of invoice price will be calculated as the value of the car. This means if your car is priced 5 lac rupees for the new one - the value of the vehicle will be 5lacsX87%= 4,35,000. So the tax amount is supposed to be 4,35,000X14.5%(or whatever the current tax rate). So finally the tax amount will be something like Rs.63,075. In your case, tax amount will be less than the mentioned amount here considering the new car price will be less than calculated above. So it will work out to around 3.5 lacs for you approximately including purchase price. Is it still profitable?
Slight error in calculation there Sir!

RTO doesn't depreciate the vehicle value using that table to calculate tax. They calculate tax and then depreciate the tax amount based on that table.

Take my case for example:

I'm trying to re-register my 2006 Accent from MP to KA. The invoice value is 5.15L approx, including all discounts.

The tax calculation goes as follows (all figures in INR):

A. Invoice value: 514,753
B. Tax@14%: 72065.42
C. Depreciation to 75%: 54049.065 (vehicle is between 4-5 years old)
D. 10% cess on tax: 5404.90

E. Total payable: C+D = 59453.97

To top it all off, they're quoting me tax@15%, for which I'm taking a copy of the Motor Vehicle Act Amendment 2010, which clearly states the rate @14%, not 15.
Old 21st February 2011, 19:37   #36
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Road Tax calculation for new vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.prabhu1 View Post
There is a 10% cess levied on the road tax by the RTO. It should actually be 14% + 1.4% = 15.4% of ex-showroom price of the vehicle.
I really doubt because i have asked for a quote for Punto In Bangalore and the road tax is exact 15%. If Surcharge is there it would be 15.4%

Im confused:(
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:58   #37

Hi Team-BHPians,

Can anyone help me to calculate annual, quarterly or monthly road tax for a car? I don't want to pay lifetime road tax and want to see how much I will pay for other options.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Arun Tyagi
Old 3rd June 2011, 07:17   #38
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Hi Team-BHPians,
Can anyone help me to calculate annual, quarterly or monthly road tax for a car? I don't want to pay lifetime road tax and want to see how much I will pay for other options.
Arun Tyagi
There are no other options other than paying life time tax buddy.

Only way you would like to believe that you saved on the humongous road tax in Karnataka is to buy a fairly recent used car

Cheers
Old 30th July 2011, 16:59   #39
BHPian

Firstly if this post is not meant to be here, MODS please move it to the appropriate section.

hello members

i have Delhi registered vehicle and have moved to Bangalore in 2003.
I have paid Life time tax for karnataka in 2003 and obtained the NOC from Delhi RTO in 2005. But i haven't changed the DL registration to KA.

Im planning to sell the car in Bangalore now, but some buyers who showed interest say they have to pay Life time tax again and also penalty from 2005 till date for number change. why should someone pay tax again while it has been paid already?

would request knowledgeable members here to help me with right information.
thanks in advance
keyan
Old 1st August 2011, 11:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyank View Post
I have paid Life time tax for karnataka in 2003 and obtained the NOC from Delhi RTO in 2005. But i haven't changed the DL registration to KA.

Im planning to sell the car in Bangalore now, but some buyers who showed interest say they have to pay Life time tax again and also penalty from 2005 till date for number change. why should someone pay tax again while it has been paid already?

keyan
Keyan - There is no need to pay tax again. Just give a plain paper application at the RTO with the relevant docs (Old RC, Photocopy of PUC and Insurance, LT Tax Paid )and they will assign you a KAR Number. It might take a few months, but it is a standard process and you do not need to pay any money either. I have a 2002 HR registered car, which I moved to Hyderabad (paid AP tax, but did not change the number) and then Moved to Bangalore-again paid the KAR Tax immediately on moving, but did not change the number for 4 years. Last year I planned to sell the car, so I got a new KAR number, took me about 3 months with a few trips to the RTO office, but no bribes or any fees to be paid.
One catch might be if you took the NOC in 2005 and did not submit it here--the NOC expires, and you might need to secure a fresh NOC.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:

keyan
Keyan- No need to pay tax again. You jut need to give a plain paper application to RTO with the suporting docs (RC, LTT paid Receipt, Photocopy of the Insurance, PUC). it will take a few months (the RTO check with the oprev RTO before assignig the new number), but you can do it yourself.
I had a HR registered car(02) which I moved to Hyderabad(03) and then Bangalroe(05). paid LTT in both places, but changed the number only in Bangalore last year. Took me about 4 months, with about 5 visits to RTO, but got it done myself with no bribe,extra fees etc.
Theoretically I should get a refund of the LTT from HR and AP, but I never got my LTT refund from Hyderabad even after some follow up.
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:05   #42
BHPian

hi parag

thanks for your information. was there any penalty you paid for not filing for a KA number within any specified timeline. My NOC was issued in 2005, however i paid LTT for KA in 2003. I didnt apply for a KA number till now.

I checked directly with the RTO today, even they didnt seem to be too clear if there is any penalty for not filing KA number

thanks
Keyan
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:44   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Hi Team-BHPians,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
There are no other options other than paying life time tax buddy.
You have the option of annual tax if you are a central government employee. For every other people, life tax is a MUST.
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:46   #44
BHPian

Keyank,

I am not sure about the fine for not getting a KA number within any specified timeline.
But in the RTO website says
"The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State."

Here is the link ( Go to the FAQ section - What is the procedure for re-registration?)
Transport Department

I got the same information when i had done this at 2007(migrating from Kerala to Bangalore). In my case, immediately after bringing my vehicle here I paid the tax and did the reregistration after 6 months.
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
hi parag

thanks for your information. was there any penalty you paid for not filing for a KA number within any specified timeline. My NOC was issued in 2005, however i paid LTT for KA in 2003. I didnt apply for a KA number till now.

I checked directly with the RTO today, even they didnt seem to be too clear if there is any penalty for not filing KA number

thanks
Keyan
There was no penalty. My case was similar, paid the LTT immediately on moving to Bangalore in 2005, got address update noted on the RC.
Then Got my NOC from Hyderabad and submitted it here. Finally got the Number changed only in 2010.

Most Viewed