Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 10:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

We already have few basic things mandatory which are hardly followed !! The things mentioned in this thread are very much important and makes sense BUT it is people who always like to break rules and feel proud about it. We still have people coming in opposite direction on highway !! We Indians must be one of the worst people when it comes to obey rules !!
Old 27th July 2009, 10:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

There is a line of thought which says that govt should not make anything mandatory from implementation point of view. But if you look at history, we will never get any safety features if govt does not tell manufacturers to do so.
Remember, a few years back when seatbelt tech was already old tech in most countries, many Indian cars did not come with seatbelts. Reason was cost savings.
Only when govt mandated seatbelts it happened.
Airbags will find their way into cars only when its a mandatory safety requirement.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

In my view the govt. can mandate the following:
1. As another poster said - working tail / brake / hazard / head lights. Can there be some sensor based tech which will simply not allow vehicle to be started at night if basic lights are not functioning? Single most effective preventer of accidents. Internationally, non functioning of lights is a serious offence.
2. Emissions - again sensor based emissions feedback system. If emissions beyond permissible norms, vehicle will simply not start.
3. Overloading - again sensor based loading feedback system. If beyond permissible load weight, zilch nada - nothing works.
4. Uniform height collapsible bumper specifications.

The sensors must be sealed and linked to the ECM/ECU. If tampered with or disabled, again vehicle will not start.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:57   #19
Team-BHP Support

Sandeep govt has already mandated stuff like tail lamps, premissible load etc., and there are weighbridges etc., to enforce such stuff.
However due to transporter-police nexus trucks violate rules with impunity.
Even after a sting operation in Delhi nothing changed. A committee was formed, and they will definitely table the report within the next 1000 years.

A few months back, an overloaded truck with defective brakes ploughed through a police Naka. If the authorities had not been taking bribes this truck would have never been on road.
A case of divine justice perhaps?

I have myself seen trucks without working tail lamps being allowed to pass through police checkposts.

So its not a case of rule not being their, but a case of enforcement
Old 27th July 2009, 11:18   #20
BHPian

If you like to cruise at any speed above 70 kmph I think ABS is a necessity. I could have done without the couple of bad experiences in panic braking situations on the highway if my car had ABS.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

I heard that Tamil Nadu is collecting Safety tax from Aug 1st. I was involved in booking a Aveo for a friend and was told that Safety tax needs to be paid. Please shed some light on this.

Offtopic: When I mentioned Tbhp to the Salesguy, he was taken aback and we were given double respect.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:06   #22
BHPian

When we talk about road safety, there are two things.
1. machine dependable
2. people dependable

People dependable include enforcement of law, better monitoring, good road building, better license approval system, zero bribe against fine etc. These things can be changed fast as we are talking about bigger community, too many stake holders. Implementation would need a movement for road safety. The change will take decades.

Regarding machine dependable, we can do it fast. It's small community - car manufacturers, its well organized community. Most of car manufactures already have these devices in same model which they sell out of India, so cost of R&D is very less. We have changed rules for emissions like Euro II or BS III, CNG for buses in Delhi or Mumbai. It's possible because you are talking to companies and not voters. This can be fixed in 1-2 years.

I agree, adding these features to cars, will add cost as well. The cost will not go very high as these devices will be installed in mass and not just in one or two models. Cost of life for person sitting in Nano or Merc is definitely above cost of car. In cases, person sitting in Nano losing life/ facing accident may turn out worst for him/her and family than person in Merc facing similar accident/life.

The people who buy a car are not under poverty line. If they can spend 2 lac + on car, they can spend 2.5 -3 lac for car. Car is not bread and butter which must cost less than Rs. 10.

Regarding CNG/LPG for GOI vehicles will reduce cost of fuel bills for GOI.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 27th July 2009 at 12:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks