Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 21:26   #1
BHPian

Biggest Scam of the year ? Karnataka HSR Plate golmaal!!

Excerpts from a News item that appeared today :

The state government accordingly, has initiated steps to fall in line with other states in this regard.Mumbai-based Shivnit Utsch India Pvt Ltd has bagged the contract for providing the high security number plates for the vehicles in the state for a 15-year period.

The rates quoted by the company for the number plates are Rs 550 for two-wheelers, Rs 650 for three-wheelers and Rs 1,200 for four-wheelers. It is mandatory for the citizens to pay the prescribed rates and get new high security number plates to their vehicles.

West Bengal, the first state to adopt the new system, has fixed Rs 282 for two -wheelers, Rs 298 for three-wheelers and Rs 441 for four-wheelers.

The fact that the cost in Karnataka is three-fold as compared to the ones fixed by West Bengal, has raised several eye-brows. There is something fishy in this contract, people believe. The state has about 78.51 lac registered vehicles and the differential burden on the people works to around Rs 400 crore. It is said, the company has violated several conditions, one of which, is that it should have had the experience of having supplied number plates to at least four countries. It is said, the company, in order to bag the contract, falsely declared that it had supplied number plates to four countries.

In Rajasthan, the contract for number plates had been given to this company, but after allegations were made about the wrong information furnished by it, the agreement has been put on hold. The government there is contemplating the issue of placing the company on black list.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:33   #2
vsh
BHPian

i have also read about the same and horrified. i have given rs 1000 for my numberplate!! i thought it is something DIGITAL and unique and may cost that much. but fact is we are being looted!!
Old 28th July 2009, 21:35   #3
BHPian

They are also planning to introduce smart driving license cards, which will cost few hundred Rs.

They love to "computerize" everything. hehe

Still cannot repair the roads and improve driving conditions and road safety laws....................
Old 28th July 2009, 21:35   #4
ada
BHPian

Hmmm... This whole business is getting murkier, what with delays and all. Why dont they select more then one party pan India so that even we can have choice.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:40   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
They are also planning to introduce smart driving license cards, which will cost few hundred Rs.
A lot of States have already implemented this. I've been using one for the last 5-6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
The rates quoted by the company for the number plates are Rs 550 for two-wheelers, Rs 650 for three-wheelers and Rs 1,200 for four-wheelers. It is mandatory for the citizens to pay the prescribed rates and get new high security number plates to their vehicles.
Utsav Plates quotes the same rates. West Bengal govt. my be subsidising the plates.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Whats preventing us from getting the plates done from a state with low rates?
Old 28th July 2009, 21:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

They love to "computerize" everything. hehe

Still cannot repair the roads and improve driving conditions and road safety laws....................
well said! NH 17 mangalore to End of NH 17 and Nh 48 Mangalore to hassan are in such a bad state that even the most daring private bus operators are scared to venture on them!

as far as the city goes, there are absolutely no roads, no rules, no traffic laws. the private city busses and the three wheeled schumakers are a law unto themselves!
Old 28th July 2009, 22:00   #8
BHPian

now they are charging for "smart card" for registration.. this will replace the "RC book".
For honda they are charging 2000 extra for this. i dont know how much they are charging for hyundai i10.. (i am getting it tomorrow.. so will come to know soon)
Old 28th July 2009, 22:02   #9
BHPian

junk the RTO

I feel its time for a new completely revamped RTO system, which is integrated into systems like the national UID,

- folks Should not be allowed to register cars if they haven't brought car park from builder if theere is no other way to park in public

- the split of RTO... where things are nationally unique and statewise overriding rules is dumped.

- We want uniform RTO bidding, road laying rules, road specification rules and these rules should be based on terrain and not state legistature etc.
(Karnataka specifies the min, tar thickness few cms less than other states but the bidding, road tax etc are the highest) -- The pain/hurt is very high from excessive milking of cows.

can rant and rant for days on the rto system, but point is high time its completely revamped.
Old 28th July 2009, 22:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Calcutta guys can you confirm this?

I thought all this was put on hold as they vendors couldnt make any profit out of the rate govt wanted them to sell and this was in court.
Old 28th July 2009, 22:51   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
now they are charging for "smart card" for registration.. this will replace the "RC book".
For honda they are charging 2000 extra for this. i dont know how much they are charging for hyundai i10.. (i am getting it tomorrow.. so will come to know soon)
The charges you mentioned are for online registration. This money goes to the dealer and not RTO. The Smart card costs Rs.200-300.
Old 29th July 2009, 00:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
For honda they are charging 2000 extra for this.
The words "Honda" and "premium" go hand in hand I suppose !
Old 29th July 2009, 08:55   #13
BHPian

This is a very big scam. The contract is finalised only after paying a huge amount to politicians and officers and the charges are inflated to suit the company.

So everybody involved in this racket makes lots of money and only the public is looser.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:49   #14
BHPian

KA GOVT and Official is milking money from the people like hell. They are now very innovative in sucking money in various way. Any thing in KA are very highly priced compared to neighbouring state. Its not only RTO. Bescom/Water Supply/BBMP all charge you very for any thing u want to do with them including Bribe
Old 29th July 2009, 09:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
This is a very big scam. The contract is finalised only after paying a huge amount to politicians and officers and the charges are inflated to suit the company.

So everybody involved in this racket makes lots of money and only the public is looser.
Sad but true. This is sadly how India works. OT but couldn't resist - The average unofficial income of an RTO here in UP is quoted to be about 15-20 lakhs per month. In good season they might make much more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks