Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 23:32   #1
BHPian

Real value of used Maruti Zen

I am on a lookout to buy a Maruti Zen at Coimbatore for my better half. I have visited all possible dealers (including True Value stores) and have browsed all possible advertisements for spotting a cost effective used Zen. But to my surprise, whenever I find a good condition used zen, the price quoted seems to be exorbitant. For instance, a 2005 Coimbatore registered model is easily getting quoted for Rs.300000, which might have been the ex-showroom price of the car at that time. Even if we take a 2002 Zen LXi, it goes for Rs.200000 plus and even after paying this kind of premium, I am not able to find a low run zen till now (all are having more than 60000 km in the odo).

Is this pricing appropriate for a used Zen or am I being taken for a ride here ? I am not sure if this type of pricing is prevalent only in South India or everywhere. Looking at this trend, if Maruti re-launches zen, it might easily outsell its competitors. Do share your thoughts guys.
Old 28th July 2009, 23:40   #2

Those prices are nonsense. I did visit a few such dealers in bombay recently, and I was shown absolute nonsense.........and the prices were actually laughable!!
Old 28th July 2009, 23:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

A friend bought 2003 Zen VXi for 1.7Lakh in Pune last Sunday. He is 3rd owner of the car and earlier owner bought it for 2.3Lakh.

This was a direct purchase. My friend thinks that, this car, if bought through used car dealer, would have cost him 2.3L at least. (He had been scouting around for used car for last 3 months).
Old 28th July 2009, 23:54   #4
BHPian

Dealers (both private and true value) at Coimbatore seems to have formed a liking towards Maruti Zen lately. This has resulted in all the available used Maruti Zen cars reaching the dealers hands in a jiffy and leaving buyers like me with only choice of relying on the dealers to find a Zen. Even if I find a one off case, where an individual is trying to sell his car directly through internet, etc..., the price is almost as high as the dealer pricing.
Old 29th July 2009, 01:21   #5
BHPian

When i checked the price of a used, reasonably well maintained 2000 model zen in Dec07 in kerala, the asking price was 1.4 lacs. I believe kerala used car prices are some what reasonable.
Old 29th July 2009, 02:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

These are totally insane prices even after considering the fact that Zen(not Estilo) has a great resale value.

but its encouraging for an existing Zen owner like me, hehe

Please be patient and continue the search and 50-60k is nothing for a Zen engine if maintained well.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

FYI. True Value quoted 1.5 L for my LXi, 2004 model 46K kms run. If I were to sell it individually, I'd settle for nothing less than 1.7 L.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:47   #8
BHPian

I would recommend that you need to try and get the car from the owner directly. The moment you approach any re-seller or outlet, you have overheads, which are packaged with the car price and that's where it becomes nonviable.

Think of it, the dealers will always offer lower price when buying from you and higher price when they have to sell the car after they put their badge on it. I guess, it's business.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:54   #9
BHPian

There is a Maruti Tru value site which has a pricing based on condition, year, model and kms run.

My 2005 Sept Zen Lxi was quoted at 2.48 lakhs (Cochin registration, run 27k kms). Since the price seems good, I was thinking of giving to True value. So when you buy from true value ; expect a big price hike.

Give a wanted ad in paper and you will get responses from individuals as well.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
There is a Maruti Tru value site which has a pricing based on condition, year, model and kms run.

My 2005 Sept Zen Lxi was quoted at 2.48 lakhs (Cochin registration, run 27k kms). Since the price seems good, I was thinking of giving to True value. So when you buy from true value ; expect a big price hike.

Give a wanted ad in paper and you will get responses from individuals as well.
@krish3. That is what the site quoted. If you go to them personally, I don't think they will quote that much. Maybe 2L. After aquiring it for 2L they will quote 2.48 to some prospective buyer . This is the trend everywhere with all seconds dealers.

Shouldn't this be in merged with the 'Used car price list' thread.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:12   #11
BHPian

Funny I am searching for a used car from True Value. The prices, especially for Zen was consistently above 3 lakhs. Was quite disappointed and my plans are delayed...
Old 29th July 2009, 09:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Funny I am searching for a used car from True Value. The prices, especially for Zen was consistently above 3 lakhs. Was quite disappointed and my plans are delayed...
True! Zen sells like hot cakes in the Seconds market. Try getting a good one from an individual. It would be tiresome but worth it.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:26   #13
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Is the thread in the wrong section?

Coming to the topic, I sold my 2000 Zen VX for 1.4 lacs last year in Bangalore. I hope this helps.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Is the thread in the wrong section?

Coming to the topic, I sold my 2000 Zen VX for 1.4 lacs last year in Bangalore. I hope this helps.
Wow! That must have been some deal. Mind sharing some details, specs, kms done, extra fittings. You got a great deal for a 2000 model.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:41   #15
BHPian

Zen is overpriced in the 2nd hand market due to some typical demand that people has set in their mind. Agreed that the car was good at that time. Instead of going for 2/3 L of zen you can go easily go some other new/used vehicle.

Thank

Most Viewed