Team-BHP - (W)onderbox (A)gain (G)ets (O)utright (N)eedful (R)ecreational upgrade
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   (W)onderbox (A)gain (G)ets (O)utright (N)eedful (R)ecreational upgrade (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/62627-w-onderbox-gain-g-ets-o-utright-n-eedful-r-ecreational-upgrade.html)

All new Maruti Suzuki Wagon R 1.1 KB-preliminary details

Expected Launch Date-April/ mid 2010

Based on extended A-star platform developed specifically for India

Estimated Dimensions

Length: 3600 mm
width: 1600 mm
wheelbase: 2380 mm-2400 mm
height: 1640 mm
ground clearence: 165 mm
front track: 1405 mm
rear track: 1410 mm

engine specs:

Euro 4 all aluminium 16v DOHC KB series enginetransmission:Steering:Suspension:Brakes:Tyres and wheelsothers:Estimated price range: 3,50,000-4,50,000

Test vehicles will be ready by this fall. Spy photographers, be alert!

(Note: Information is preliminary and may be subject to change without prior notice)

Seems Maruti is launching it primarily to give competition to i10.
Nice scoop again!

Great scoop Sid. Nice to know about the new Wagon. Wheelbase, width have been increased . Top end variant seems to have got good features. Automatic option is a great idea . Waiting for the pics now.

Nice scoop again Sid. Any idea what it might look like ? I mean will the shape remain the same or will it be all new like the Zen (this one was for the worse though ).
I am not a big fan of the regular WagonR's looks, though its a good vehicle no doubt.

This is one *proper* upgrade the good old wagonR deserved for long.
More width and wheelbase increase is most welcome, as is the new and hopefully much more refined K series engine.
I really think that there isn't a true successor to WagonR in the market, given the immense practicality, not even the Ritz. This upgrade is a good news for the admirers of this small little "Wonderbox" :)

Sid! the Suave 007 of Tbhp! thanks for the scoop!! we already have our cameras out to shoot the unnatural happenings!

Sid, I loved the headline, but the list does not look like a mere "recreational" upgrade, unless you read it like this "re - creation".

What does this mean?

Quote:

Based on extended A-star platform developed specifically for India
Otherwise, looks like an all new engine, some accessories which are available only in the top variant pushed down to the mid level variant, and a 4 speed AT, (against the 3 speed, which is currently available).

What exactly is "drive by wire"?

I would have loved an ABS + airbags option for all variants.

I hope they revamp the transmission too. It is the most cursed component of the car.

Except for the 800 and Omni(soon to be phased out),its heartening to see that Maruti has all classy cars in its line-up.

I am not so sure about the engine.

I don't think maruti has any plans to develop a 1.1L KB series engine when it already has a 1.0 and a 1.2 in place.

If the Zen Estilo (same as the wagonR under the skin) is getting the 1.0L KB engine, then I think it makes no sense to put a new engine in the wagonR.

Excellent. I think this model is called YR9. Maruti is also developing a car to slot below Alto and the code is YE3. Both these information are from ACI August issue.

About this car, Maruti can make it real big if they plan it properly and mainly price it properly. I hope that the KB series engine is not making the cost go up too much. If wheelbase is 2400mm, it would be larger than Swift IIRC.
The only thing that worries me is whether this car will be a genuine replacement or not. Wagon R uses space very well, even better than Jazz. I am yet to come across a car that is as space efficient as Wagon R. Ritz is not the car that can take this crown.
With the wheelbase longer than present, we can hope Maruti uses the available space efficiently.

Any news on diesel version ? I hope they come up with a diesel too.

KB series engine on WagonR too. That seems to be the best thing to kill the competition. Hyundai anyway hasnt produced good effect of mileage due to their Kappa engines as claimed by SRK. This seems to be similar specs as A Star so the mileage could be as similar around 18kmpl. I am impressed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 1407692)

What exactly is "drive by wire"?

It means that there is no physical link between the engine and accelerator pedal, i.e no throttle cable in the traditional sense.

Electronic throttle control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ha, one more scoop from sid. Great. Will it be competing with i10? Time to wait!

Sid, another super scooper...
Is the engine a modified one from Ritz's K12M? Or from A-Star's K10B? Why Maruti is betting on different engines with small difference in displacement like 1L, 1.1L, and 1.2L?

Also, any change in the external design?