Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 18:25   #1

As a car enthusiast, how helpful was Team-BHP?

Hi all, i am just 1 day old to Team BHP but i have been dumb struck to know how much this forum has influenced all the fellow members . i got introduced to team bhp by my friend (petrol_head) and it was soo surprising for me; when i noticed his involvement towards the forum. his involvement made me dig deeper about the subject and also it made me, follow team bhp religiously. i also went for couple of meets and i got the opportunity to meet fellow members. the passion in them and the pride in them towards team bhp made me really curious to be a part of this forum. and hence, here i am, writing you all to say a big hi5.

but still my curiosity fire is burning mount high. apart from the fact that all the members are car enthusiastic, what is the common binding factor that is igniting this passion in all? how much is team BHP influencing your life or how much has it influenced ones life already.? are few question thats still ringing loud in me.

please share your thoughts because being a marketing consultant i know how important an identity to a person is but if a forum could revive ones identity then there has to be something else that is driving them (for example, in one meet where i was a part of, i noticed that even though the fellow members know each others name very well, they where absolutely fine in conversing with their user id name. this was very interesting). this is not soo common thing in other forum or other networking sites.

now that made me again ask this question, what is the factor thats bringing in this passion in all the members, apart from being a car enthusiastic networking forum, is there something else that this forum imparts? also please educate me with how much team bhp has been a part of your life and how much has it influenced you, how much of learning have you towed along in your journey of being a part of it.?

just share these basic question so that members like me who are just been rooted to the system grow along with the same passion as that of yours.

thanks again for accepting my membership and making me a part of this cult.

Note: this thread is not started for the heck of it. i am starting it, with all the right intension to know in-detail the facts and lessons.

Regards

Toll Gate

P.S: i have already noted down few important information from some threads about car mods, also it has cleared a lot of doubts in me that i had about my car and also i had learnt few important tips in terms of car maintenance.
Old 31st July 2009, 19:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Marketing people will never understand this. Atleast most wont ... It's their love for cars which creates bonding with fellow car freaks. No powerpoint presentations, no fancy numbers. Just a love for driving or riding anything on wheels.
Old 31st July 2009, 22:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

pranav has it spot on. We like our cars and that's the most basic thing that binds us together. As for why we are comfortable with online IDs in real life, it is because you have come to associate a person to his ID on Team-BHP. On any other social networking site, your real name is there. But on here, it's our IDs that do the talking. It's pretty much the same on other forums, especially for games. When you get on TeamSpeak, you talk to the nicknames even if you know their real names.
Old 31st July 2009, 23:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I am doing Marketing, and did a bit of Psychology and Sociology as well. IMO, T-BHP isn't like any other forum, where people post stuff. Rather it is like a peer group in school, where all the people with common interests join, and take the time to learn from each other and contribute back, not only to T-BHP, but friends, relatives etc.
Unlike some other international forums, people contribute, but there is no personal touch. Out here, the personal touch, along with the strict moderation, have made this forum much more than what it is.
Last time I have seen a group this big, and diverse, be so enthusiastic about something, it was at my schools sports day, when all the parents, students, teachers would cheer for their particular house/team.
Old 31st July 2009, 23:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think its mostly because when we talk about cars to regular folks, it only takes five minutes to bore them

Here you can talk till your keyboard gives up. Plus, some advice here helps hugely when buying and maintaining a car so there's some tangible benefit too.
Old 1st August 2009, 00:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

We own cars
we drive cars
we love cars
we live cars
we eat cars
we spleep cars
we break cars
we fix cars
we sell cars
we buy scrap and make cars
Attached Thumbnails
As a car enthusiast, how helpful was Team-BHP?-_maul35.jpg  

Old 1st August 2009, 09:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll gate View Post
thanks again for accepting my membership and making me a part of this cult.

Note: this thread is not started for the heck of it. i am starting it, with all the right intension to know in-detail the facts and lessons.

Regards

Toll Gate

P.S: i have already noted down few important information from some threads about car mods, also it has cleared a lot of doubts in me that i had about my car and also i had learnt few important tips in terms of car maintenance.
You got it right when you called it a cult yourself! As with all cults, this one too displays all the cultish behaviour including the one about thinking itself to be different from all other cults - isn't that the whole point about all cults?
And like all cult members, there are some pretty rabid ones here too!
But I would also say that unlike others, this one is more like a buffet, and you can choose to not do the cultish things that people lacking other more rooted identities tend to do. And you have alluded to that in your PS as well, there is a lot of useful information here, and wisdom. So it is up to you, finally, what you want to get from your presence here.
Old 2nd August 2009, 14:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I am doing Marketing, and did a bit of Psychology and Sociology as well. IMO, T-BHP isn't like any other forum, where people post stuff. Rather it is like a peer group in school, where all the people with common interests join, and take the time to learn from each other and contribute back, not only to T-BHP, but friends, relatives etc.
Unlike some other international forums, people contribute, but there is no personal touch. Out here, the personal touch, along with the strict moderation, have made this forum much more than what it is.
Last time I have seen a group this big, and diverse, be so enthusiastic about something, it was at my schools sports day, when all the parents, students, teachers would cheer for their particular house/team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
We own cars
we drive cars
we love cars
we live cars
we eat cars
we spleep cars
we break cars
we fix cars
we sell cars
we buy scrap and make cars
absolutely + its the passion that all share here and its not just a forum but like a family growing day by day and others joining in learns to be the part of this the way it is which is be family, learn you can, share you can and live automobiles along with regular lives.Also its not about just automobiles but driving, travelling, maintenance, and main what i found is acceptance of the things the way they are without any bias statments from all of us.
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

My sickness:
Rush to office by picking up the CAB,ogle at every car that passes-by (My day starts here).As soon as I reach office log on to T-BHP.(Don't check my mails either....)Other IE has Google loading...but mine has T-Bhp getting loaded.
At times get kicking from my manager for doing a lame work or complete my work as fast as I could & smile within myself,cos all these are for the CARZ that I love to drive,and always say GIVE ME MORE...
Guess what will happen when T-Bhp is down for up-gradation or office ISP is down for the whole day.Seems like I'm addicted to the drugs provided by T-Bhp
I'm a passive reader of the all the interesting thread & can't measure my knowledge that I've acquired.
I'm dump stuck on to the forum for Day-In & Out and feel wired while logging out at the end of the day.
Purchase a car that you cant afford and keep shifting the gears & revving hard in your dreams...This poor guy doesn't know when it comes true.

Last but not the least:my better-half always feels that I'm more fetish towards cars than her.
Is this happening only to ME??? or all the members shares the blood:CARZ

Last edited by Ramsagar : 3rd August 2009 at 16:29.
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

I must say this - get a life, guys, it is only manufactured steel and glass at the end of the day! While it is no doubt a lot of fun, autos and driving them, there is a lot more to life than these tools of locomotion! If life in this body itself is impermanent, how much more are these objects that will fall into disuse and rust five to ten times in an average life span of a human body?!
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:38   #11
BHPian

Well to start off with, its just plain easy to associate someone with their handles when you have not met them personally. Over a period of time, it becomes optional. Its what initiates a bonding and post the usual ice breaking, the usage of the handle becomes optional though most people prefer to stick to handles over the real names for sheer convenience. Besides sometimes, you prefer relating to fellow members with their handles for the simple reason of owing allegiance to the common forum that brought them together in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Marketing people will never understand this. Atleast most wont ... It's their love for cars which creates bonding with fellow car freaks. No powerpoint presentations, no fancy numbers. Just a love for driving or riding anything on wheels.
OT - Trust me, marketing professionals understand the whole concept of passion much better than most. Thats what drives the profession. Its not about recreating what is read in books, journals and manuals. Its an expression that translates to the final output. Passion is not an option, its an innate expression.

Last edited by petrol_head : 3rd August 2009 at 16:39.
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post

OT - Trust me, marketing professionals understand the whole concept of passion much better than most. Thats what drives the profession. Its not about recreating what is read in books, journals and manuals. Its an expression that translates to the final output. Passion is not an option, its an innate expression.
well said machan,
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:53   #13
BHPian

Like you said, we all like to be called with our usernames and call others with theirs.
The only exception is Petrol_head whom we like to go calling with his avatar than calling him by his names.
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
Like you said, we all like to be called with our usernames and call others with theirs.
The only exception is Petrol_head whom we like to go calling with his avatar than calling him by his names.
Watch it mister... Thou shall pay for your sins
While on the same topic, how can we forget someone who got officially christened as Komedy Uncle

Last edited by petrol_head : 3rd August 2009 at 17:12.
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:12   #15

hahahaha, well said neo, in office, we call him with few other names (everything to do with his passion and innate expression). will love to share it when we meet up in the next meet., lol

Most Viewed