Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 08:56   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Or they might have clubbed export numbers into it.
Immortalz, you are right, they have clubbed them together as it is evident from this paragraph, posted in their press release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
HMIL’s total sales for July, 2009 stood at 45,543 units against 36,152 units in July, 2008. The domestic sales it accounted for 23,193 units as against 15,066 units last July while the overseas sales grew from 21,086 units in July, 2008 to 22,350 units in July, 2009.
Old 4th August 2009, 09:24   #32
BHPian

I agree with Srini . Honda CRV figures look dicey. It can't become a zero to hero overnight..err.. over a month.
Old 4th August 2009, 09:30   #33
BHPian

Hyundai seems to be catching up with Maruti , 41K vehicles sold as compared to 48K from Maruti. This is in comparison to June figures 20K for hyundai v/s 46K for Maruti
Old 4th August 2009, 09:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Hyundai seems to be catching up with Maruti , 41K vehicles sold as compared to 48K from Maruti. This is in comparison to June figures 20K for hyundai v/s 46K for Maruti
You are comparin the wrong set of data. 48K is the domestic A2 segments sales of Maruti, while 41K of Hyundai is inclusive of the exports. So the actual domestic sale of Hyundai A2 would only be around 20k as in the last month
Old 4th August 2009, 10:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Guys, please read sid's post carefully. Hyundai's numbers are including their exports. Their domestic sales figures are at ~23k units.

Here is the post again -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica
HMIL’s total sales for July, 2009 stood at 45,543 units against 36,152 units in July, 2008. The domestic sales it accounted for 23,193 units as against 15,066 units last July while the overseas sales grew from 21,086 units in July, 2008 to 22,350 units in July, 2009.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:39   #36
BHPian

The Punto hasn't really hit the roads, the waiting period for deisel Punto is nearly 4weeks..Once Punto starts hitting the roads, with its astounding looks, it probably might find a lot of buyers..
Old 4th August 2009, 12:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
The Punto hasn't really hit the roads, the waiting period for deisel Punto is nearly 4weeks..Once Punto starts hitting the roads, with its astounding looks, it probably might find a lot of buyers..
I doubt Punto will be a big success after some time its interior is bad and another aspect where it will take a hit is people looking for driver driven a large segment in India unlike west . This is unlikely sustain it self over a period of time althoufg from outside no other car comes close to it .
Old 4th August 2009, 13:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
I doubt Punto will be a big success after some time its interior is bad and another aspect where it will take a hit is people looking for driver driven a large segment in India unlike west . This is unlikely sustain it self over a period of time althoufg from outside no other car comes close to it .
Amit27,

Punto's interiors are bad in comparison with which car? Except for the Hyundai's, it compares favorably with most other volume sellers ( Marutis & Tata). The i20 is priced way higher where as the i10 does not have a diesel option. The Puto is much beeter than the segment leader Swift which has poor plastics and cramped.

Not too many people use hachbacks with drivers. The Punto is likely to do well in the Metro and Class A cities where most people drive themselves ( in hatchbacks). It is also a car that appeals to the younger lot. As long as FIAT & Tata take care of the after sales service aspect, this car will do well.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:34   #39
BHPian

This thread is taking initial direction of Fiat or Honda bashing - friends, let us not get too aggressive...market divides what is good and what is bad...and as a consumer, i want every car to do well so that we get more deals....we gain if they gain....
Old 4th August 2009, 13:48   #40
BHPian

Good to see that economy is moving up again, more sales of car is happening. My stock value is also going up
But some how I feel that this time the company is showing some manipulated data. Steel company was telling that that the Steel price has come down and the same time the Car Maker was talking about increase of the input cost due to the High Steel price. Bank is not disbursing much loan (home/personal/car) still bank is showing steep jump on profit. It is just my feeling.
How ever its nice that we (Team Bhp member) is increasing.
Old 5th August 2009, 00:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

The market for compact sedans hasn't been fully exploited by the auto majors. Just look at the dismal offerings in this segment like the Accent, Verna, Indigo etc,. If this market segment matures then the auto market will see a further growth in overall sales.

Last edited by nickatnite : 5th August 2009 at 00:51.
Old 5th August 2009, 04:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Among the people I know, nobody has surprisingly called it beautiful. A friend from UK went on to say that Fiat should have launched the Panda instead.
Old 5th August 2009, 07:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinivasap View Post
This thread is taking initial direction of Fiat or Honda bashing - friends, let us not get too aggressive...market divides what is good and what is bad...and as a consumer, i want every car to do well so that we get more deals....we gain if they gain....
at the bashing comment, I noticed it too! Doesnt take much for the lurking tendencies to come to the forefront, does it?!
On the other hand, as you have pointed out, the market ( all auto consumers taken together, not just the autofans) will do what a free market always does, of allowing the good companies to succeed and the poor ones to fail. And for the in between ones to plod along until they decide the direction they want to go towards! And no amount of wishful thinking by anyone carrying a torch for any company - or a grudge against any either - is going to make the slightest difference. Which is how it should be, I'd say.
At this time what is happening is that every auto company in India is not really doing any conscious market segmentation and positioning based on that and their competencies to deliver to a specific segment, other than the broad segments like the urban middle class, or rural India. The high end makers are taking products designed for other markets and seeing how to push them to the best of their selling abilities here - zero marketing is being done. True marketing happens before product design/development, and that is happening in the large part in India by trying to address the needs of as many people as possible, never mind if their needs diverge way too much. One of the reasons for that is that modern automaking is a scale driven business, and niche country specific positioning does not allow for scale. The US being an exception, by its sheer size, I guess.
So for some time, until the mass markets for autos broaden and deepen in India, we will have to live with cars that are designed to meet the needs of as wide a spectrum of Indian car buyers as possible - a sure fire way of building characterless products as a consequence of the compromises this involves. Because cars with a unique identity can only be made if they are designed to meet the needs of a specific segment of buyers in a focussed way. Not enough of such people in India at the scales required by auto industry economics.
Old 5th August 2009, 09:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The market for compact sedans hasn't been fully exploited by the auto majors. Just look at the dismal offerings in this segment like the Accent, Verna, Indigo etc,. If this market segment matures then the auto market will see a further growth in overall sales.
That could be primarily because there are not so many "natural" sedans at the price what we are looking for (read 6 to 8 lacs). Most of them are hatches with a boot attached and even then it sells like hot cakes, example the ugly Dezire. Indian auto companies need to be a bit more innovative in coming out with good cars in that price range instead of simply trying to attach boots to otherwise decent looking hatches which are sold abroad.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Indian auto companies need to be a bit more innovative in coming out with good cars in that price range instead of simply trying to attach boots to otherwise decent looking hatches which are sold abroad.
The last new car designed by an Indian company, for the Indian market, from a clean sheet of paper was the Indica, and now, the Nano. The reason why this happens so rarely is that it costs a lot of money to do this - more money than can be recovered by profit on volumes of sales possible in just the Indian market. And given our made in India manufactured quality, exports are easier imagined than done. That is why the hatch driven sedans in India are just that, to piggy back on the investment already made earlier, in the hatch. And it seems to work pretty well too, in giving the market what it needs for a price it can afford, at costs that allow for adequate ROI for the car companies. And as long this balance is present, there is no economic incentive for the auto companies to do something else.
This has gone way off topic, I know!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks